Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
New range, what's the difference between mfrs?

Just back from camping and it appears it's time to get a new range. The old one works, two burners anyway, and the oven, but there is a gas smell when it's left on but not running. That plus some corrosion.... otherwise, the oven and burners work great, and I love to bake in it. Looking at new 21" ranges, the Atwood products look good, but I'm curious if anyone else can chime in on this. I want a good one and don't want to go cheap for cheap's sake. Any input is appreciated!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We bought an new Amana. Two of the stove top burners are either off or on, no range of adjustment of flame for the two on/off burners. This was not clear from product information. Not happy, I hope Atwood is a better product for you.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hi, thanks that is a huge detail. I wonder if yours is defective and maybe covered under a warranty? The Atwood literature talks about being able to vary the flame height... something you take for granted but I guess shouldn't. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
I would get the original repaired! I have the original four burner and oven in my Globetrotter and had small leaks at the valves.

Borrowed a TIF meter to locate the source of the leak and took it to my local propane dealer in town and they fixed it right up. They knew everything about the piping and valves and repaired it for a nominal fee.

Gonna save you a lot of money and you keep some of the originality!
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
The new Amana is not built very well for what it costs. The burners are as designed... two of them are not adjustable. I would also suggest attempting a rebuild on your old unit before jumping into a new one.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
We bought an new Amana. Two of the stove top burners are either off or on, no range of adjustment of flame for the two on/off burners. This was not clear from product information. Not happy, I hope Atwood is a better product for you.

That baby would be going back...........
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have the Amana range. The back burners have quarter-turn valves and are a little sensitive but can, with care, be set at a low flame, at least on ours. The Amana ranges are infamous for the repeat failure of the grommets that hold the grill in place on the top of the stove. There are several fixes for this, none perfect.

In general the older ranges can be repaired unless there are missing or burned out parts. The valves and tubing are standard components and are still available.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The Amana ranges are infamous for the repeat failure of the grommets that hold the grill in place on the top of the stove. There are several fixes for this, none perfect.
Two of the grommets in the range on our Excella went bad. I was able to replace them perfectly with some grommets made for passing electric wires through sheet metal like auto firewalls and the like. The holes were just right, about a quarter inch, and the outside perimeter has a slot which let them fit perfectly into the stove top. Got them at a hardware store out of one of those little boxes that has all of the "special stuff".

That may be what the stove manufacturer used.

Ya think?
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I'd be happy to repair the one we have. Two burners work perfectly and two have huge flames (I don't use those two) and the oven works well too. I had heard that these weren't repairable because of mercury or something in the valves.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I'd be happy to repair the one we have. Two burners work perfectly and two have huge flames (I don't use those two) and the oven works well too. I had heard that these weren't repairable because of mercury or something in the valves.
That is probably the mercaptin oil added as odorant you are referring to. It's there so you can smell gas if it escapes from your system. That wouldn't stop anyone from repairing their stove.

What is making me want to replace our stove is the yucky condition of the frame and main box and lid. Rusty, painted several times, it looks horrible. I have thought of having it re-finished, but it looks cheaper to replace it.

But I don't see any new stove-only designs with four burners. They mostly have two or three now.

And if a new stove has non-adjustable burners, that just seems dumb.

Has anyone bought a new 4-burner unit lately?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
I am contiplating the same thing, what great timing! My stove is sooooo ugly, the stainless is very pitted. Also found that the oven door doesn't close properly and would think that is a safety hazard.
Is there a way to REALLY clean up the stainless, can the door be repaired somewhere?
Love all of your suggestions!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We are considering having the cover and stove top powder coated to get rid of the look of pitted, rusty steel.

The cover was bent some time in the past and doesn't close properly. The oven leaks ever so slightly when it is turned to "off" with the pilot still on. But the four burners work just fine and the oven temp is accurate.

I'm watching this thread with interest. Replacing with a new unit doesn't seem as appealing if I end up with something that just has a different set of problems.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
We are considering having the cover and stove top powder coated to get rid of the look of pitted, rusty steel.

The cover was bent some time in the past and doesn't close properly. The oven leaks ever so slightly when it is turned to "off" with the pilot still on. But the four burners work just fine and the oven temp is accurate.

I'm watching this thread with interest. Replacing with a new unit doesn't seem as appealing if I end up with something that just has a different set of problems.
Let me know what you hear for powder-coat quotes. Around here it's an arm and a leg, that is IF you can find someone that does it.

The cover on ours is very ungainly to open or close. And when it's closed, it invites putting stuff on it, which is bound to scratch it with time.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Ours leaks around the valve which turns the pilot valve on the stovetop. My last fix was JB Weld, but if that fails, I'll try replacing parts. I light my burners manually instead of using the pilot.

Don't want no stinking' 3-burner.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote