Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Sonoma Valley , California
Kitchen fan...replace or not?

Hi - we have a 1966 Safari. I removed the kitchen fan, above the stove, because it doesn't work and it's seen better days. It's ugly! I don't plan on frying foods in my kitchen, so now I wondering if I need a fan at all.

I welcome your advice on a replacement fan that you would recommend, and/ or if you think I need a fan at all. If I don't replace the fan, I will need to replace the wood underneath the cabinet with something! It's never ending, I see now...

Thanks, Corinne

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
corinnedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Corinne,
The wood in the cabinet with the vent fan was rotted from years of leaks. I removed the fan and vent hood and spent a couple of days working on it. After looking at how much space we would have in the overhead my wife suggested I not put it back but rather just replace the wood bottom of the overhead and have extra storage. Her thinking was as yours is, "I'm never going to fry anything in here" and I would rather have the space. If I do fry stuff, I do it on my Coleman camp stove outside the trailer. Her suggestion was a good one (most of her's are). We love having the extra space above the cooktop. That is where we store all our paper plates and such. So far we have not missed the vent hood. If we do cook something I just turn the fantastic fan on hi as it is just back of the stove. I found a sheet of 1/8in hardwood plywood at a local building material place that had grain that matched the original wood in our Trade Wind. Rachel spent a couple of evenings mixing and trying stains until she had the color just right. Now the new piece looks just like the original piece of wood next to it.
I can send pics if you need to see them. I did leave the vent hood cover in place on the outside of the trailer
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Thank you! Glad you responded and I see that we think alike. It's also one less thing to keep clean, right?

Old 09-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Now sure about Califoinia, but here in the Midwest wasps like to build nests in the vent covers.
My '67 had 1/4 inch mesh to keep out the big critters. Wasps, bees, black flies, ect., not so much.
Easy job to remove the cover, cut a blank from hardware store aluminum and reseal.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Good advice. We have wasps here as well. The vent looks as though it leaked in the past, causing the fan to rust and the wood to rot. Sounds lovely, right? I think it's out of here, and it's a good idea to seal it up.

How did you attach the aluminum sheet to fill the gap? Rivets?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
In the '67 I cleaned and rebuilt the vent hood and replaced the hardware cloth with a piece of 1/8 inch wire screen I had laying around the shop.
If I remember the vent cover for the stove was plastic and I think it was riveted in.
In your case I'd remove the vent, cut the aluminum sheet to the same size and predrill the mounting holes using the vent as a template. Then lay a bead of sealer around the original opening with Tempro and re-install the vent and patch with stainless screws in the original holes. Don't overtighten or the plastic cover may spread and split.
With luck it will be watertight and still look as if it had never been patched or blanked out.

Good Luck,
Tom

Old 12-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Slidell , Louisiana
Send a message via ICQ to geekgrrrl Send a message via AIM to geekgrrrl Send a message via Skype™ to geekgrrrl
Hello!

Corinne, I have a couple I am good friends with that are also David and Corinne!

Just had to say that.

Now for my stupid question: where is the switch to turn the kitchen hood fan on? We just bought a 1973 Sovereign and the fan is there, I cleaned everything, the flue opens and shuts easily. No button in sight, and I can't seem to find it in the forums, pics.

TIA

geekgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgrrrl View Post
Hello!

Corinne, I have a couple I am good friends with that are also David and Corinne!

Just had to say that.

Now for my stupid question: where is the switch to turn the kitchen hood fan on? We just bought a 1973 Sovereign and the fan is there, I cleaned everything, the flue opens and shuts easily. No button in sight, and I can't seem to find it in the forums, pics.

TIA

The switch may be built into the open/ shut lever like mine? My '76 lever hits a switch when i close it. If thats not working, you'll have to bypass the switch to see if its the fan motor or the switch.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
There is a micro switch inside the range hood.
If you remove the filter and look up inside you can see the switch on the side of the unit.
The switch is either out of adjustment or has failed. I don't remember if the switch controls the power side of the circuit or the ground.
As the flap is close to being fully opened you should hear the switch make a slight click. No click, replace the switch. Most hardware stores should have it in stock. Also with the coach powered you can jumper the push on connectors to see if the fan runs. If it still won't work check for power or ground at the fan and switch wires. Bad grounds are pretty common.

Good Luck,
Tom