Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Generator vs heat pump

Please refresh my memory. Have been getting my AS ready for the season, thought I'd hook up my Yamaha 2000 generator to give it a little run time and see what I could run on the trailer. All the obvious things (lights, heat, etc.) ran fine. I turned on the heat pump and the generator handled it just fine. Isn't the heat pump the same draw as the AC? Or am I over simplifying?
mwilliamsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
No, you are correct. The only difference between the heat and cool cycles of a heat pump is the direction of refrigerant flow.

That said, most heat pumps will only run the compressor at outside temperatures above 35-40 degrees. So was it cold enough for the thermostat to kick it on and warm enough that the compressor ran?

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Temp was almost 50. This might mean I can actually run my AC with my Yamaha 2000!
Old 04-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamsmd View Post
Temp was almost 50. This might mean I can actually run my AC with my Yamaha 2000!
I have seen some threads here, that said the 1350AC size will run with a 2000W. Surely, with the MicroAir EasyStart device, it will run also to be sure.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My 2000w honda would also start and run my 13.5 penguin, but it's a hard start and not good for the compressor. I definitely recommend you install the Micro Air before you attempt this on an ongoing basis.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Never heard of the Micro Air easy start device
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Here ya go!

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Now you've gone and done it!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Brad- that was "Super"!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Super Trouper, thank you. I had, also, been trying to get info on the Eesy Start.
Am I to assume that if we have sufficient generator we would not need an Easy Start?We use a 7,000 Honda - just because we had it when we bought the Airstream. Yes, it is an overkill and heavy, but we have machines to load it. But, back to my question would we ever need an easy start?
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Farmer View Post
Super Trouper, thank you. I had, also, been trying to get info on the Eesy Start.
Am I to assume that if we have sufficient generator we would not need an Easy Start?We use a 7,000 Honda - just because we had it when we bought the Airstream. Yes, it is an overkill and heavy, but we have machines to load it. But, back to my question would we ever need an easy start?
I'll take a swing at this one... The EasyStart does just that for the AC's. It provides an easier load to start the AC, taking away that "loud clunk" sound as well. I am sure others can be more scientific on what is actually happening, including MicroAir Matteo. With that 7000 Honda, you likely could do a lot of things, including perhaps hooking a WDH hitch on it to tow your AS! MicroAir was also offering a discount to us. You might check to see if that deal is still going on.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Easy Start sounds interesting, but there a no reviews of the product on their site. That doesn't inspire confidence in a $300 device.

Can anyone confirm that it works?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Easy Start sounds interesting, but there a no reviews of the product on their site. That doesn't inspire confidence in a $300 device.

Check thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...-162365-2.html starting at post 30. There is a discount for AS owners. Look for posts from Micro-Air, a forum member.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post

Being Micro-Air's first RV stocking dealer and having completed 6 unit installations in the last 2 weeks. I can definitely confirm that they DO WORK AS ADVERTISED (actually 6 confirmations!).

You can even start and run your roof A/C unit with a 2000 watt inverter and a sufficiently sized lithium battery bank. Every installation had a minimum of 360 amp/hours of lithium batteries and a Magnum 2000 watt inverter/charger.

An additional added benefit is the total absence of the 'BOOM' that normally accompanies the compressor start-up............gone but not forgotten!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Judging by the size of your Airstreams, you may have 15k BTU, and not the 13.5k found on older and smaller models. I have the 15k model on my '14 27FB Classic, and would not try to run it on a 2k genny. It might run for a bit, but it is like a "brownout" - and can cook your compressor.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #16
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Generator vs heat pump

X3 on ordering up and installing an EasyStart 364 by Micro-Air. Mine arrives this week!

http://www.microair.net/main/products/product.php?id=20

Your AC compressor and generator will thank you!

Use discount code "Airstream" at checkout for $50 off / discount.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
Judging by the size of your Airstreams, you may have 15k BTU, and not the 13.5k found on older and smaller models. I have the 15k model on my '14 27FB Classic, and would not try to run it on a 2k genny. It might run for a bit, but it is like a "brownout" - and can cook your compressor.
I certainly would not run a 15K roof A/C on a 2000 watt generator either UNLESS it has the Easy Start installed. A/C compressors typically draw a transient initial starting load of between 45-60 amps called the 'locked rotor amp or LRA rating. It's found on your unit's data plate.

The Easy Start electronically reduces this high compressor starting load to below 20 amps (the exact amount varies with the specifications of the units), which is well within the surge capacity of any quality 2000 watt 'inverter-style' generator.

The actual running amp draw is more in the 14-16 amp range called 'full load amps or FLA'. These numbers are also found on the data plate of your unit. The blower motor is typically between 2.5-3.2 amps and the compressor is between 11-14 amps, depending on the outside ambient temperature conditions the unit is operating under.

No damage, no noise.....no worries!!! I was extremely skeptical at first, but after many technical conversations with Matteo at Micro Air and viewing the video posted above, I am a firm believer in this device. Not a gimmick or 'hard start kit', which doesn't work anyway, but a micro processor controlled device that actually reduces the starting load of the compressor.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thank you Lewster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I certainly would not run a 15K roof A/C on a 2000 watt generator either UNLESS it has the Easy Start installed. A/C compressors typically draw a transient initial starting load of between 45-60 amps called the 'locked rotor amp or LRA rating. It's found on your unit's data plate.

The Easy Start electronically reduces this high compressor starting load to below 20 amps (the exact amount varies with the specifications of the units), which is well within the surge capacity of any quality 2000 watt 'inverter-style' generator.

The actual running amp draw is more in the 14-16 amp range called 'full load amps or FLA'. These numbers are also found on the data plate of your unit. The blower motor is typically between 2.5-3.2 amps and the compressor is between 11-14 amps, depending on the outside ambient temperature conditions the unit is operating under.

No damage, no noise.....no worries!!! I was extremely skeptical at first, but after many technical conversations with Matteo at Micro Air and viewing the video posted above, I am a firm believer in this device. Not a gimmick or 'hard start kit', which doesn't work anyway, but a micro processor controlled device that actually reduces the starting load of the compressor.
Thanks for your input here, Lewster! I have had many discussions about this unit, and plan to get one when we move to the new AS in a few weeks. Looks like a great option addition and I feel much better knowing I can use with our single 49lb, 2000W Champion inverter generator...before the threads on this unit, I was thinking I would have to get a second generator or move to the bigger 3400 models...my back was already aching thinking about lifting 95 lbs in/out of the bed of my F150. I shared this information with several AS'ers this past weekend at a ralley in Johnson City Tx... several folks already were aware, but surprisingly a few were not aware and were very interested.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #19
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
2000W Champion Generator cannot start 15kBTU A/C with EasyStart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Thanks for your input here, Lewster! I have had many discussions about this unit, and plan to get one when we move to the new AS in a few weeks. Looks like a great option addition and I feel much better knowing I can use with our single 49lb, 2000W Champion inverter generator...before the threads on this unit, I was thinking I would have to get a second generator or move to the bigger 3400 models...my back was already aching thinking about lifting 95 lbs in/out of the bed of my F150. I shared this information with several AS'ers this past weekend at a ralley in Johnson City Tx... several folks already were aware, but surprisingly a few were not aware and were very interested.
Gypsydad - I have some unfortunate news for you and for everyone about the 2000W Champion generators and EasyStart. I was waiting for someone to bring it up so I could report on it.

Last month, another Airforums member purchased an EasyStart and installed it into his 15kBTU Coleman rooftop A/C. Although everything worked fine on utility power, it would not start on his 2000W Champion generator (model 73536i). We spent the next 20 straight days working tirelessly with this member, even going to the extreme of purchasing our own 2000W Champion generator at Micro-Air, and having the member ship back his EasyStart. Sadly, our results were found to match his. Although we don't know anything for sure, the reason for this has something to do with the overload tolerance of the 2000W Champion's inverter section. Below are some oscilloscope shots of what happens to the Champion's output voltage during an attempted A/C startup with EasyStart. We were able to get it to work with a 9kBTU A/C system, but not with the 15kBTU. So, it is our conclusion that the 2000W Champion generator will not start a 15kBTU A/C nor likely a 13.5kBTU with EasyStart installed. I realize that may be a disappointment to many since the price of the 2000W Champion is very attractive.

Fortunately, all of the other popular 2000W generators on the market, including the Honda EU2000i, the Yamaha EF2000ISV2, and the Westinghouse 2000iXLT, all have been undoubtedly proven to start and run a 15kBTU rooftop A/C with EasyStart installed. We even successfully tested an 18kBTU marine unit with the Honda EU2000i with EasyStart.

I wanted to pass along this information to you before you made any decisions. Thank you for sharing your plans and sorry for any disappointment this may cause you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Failed 15k Startup on Champion 2000W with EasyStart.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	283119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Successful 9k Startup on Champion 2000W with EasyStart.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	283120  

Old 04-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Shoot!

Thanks Matteo.... well, anyone looking for a good deal on a slightly used Champion 2000W? Better question; where is the best deal on the Yamaha or Honda 2000W?