Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
For the good of all

For those of you that have been introduced to STINK BUGS here is a new twist. They love tight spaces I have seen them completely fill the burner tube on a hot water heater causing the flame to be almost none existent.

Given that the freg has the same size tube I would assume it is only a matter of time before they take up home in someones freg.

If you see a problem with poor flame, much worse than a spider, I would remove the tube and check for stink bugs.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I took a trailer out of storage last week. This is a 61 Tradewind and the medicine cabinet has mirrors that overlap. They were open so you only see on piece of glass. When I slid the other to close about 5 thousand of them fell out. They half filled the sink. It was like a horror movie and of course my camera battery was dead.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for letting us know about them Howie. Hopefully, they won't move south.

We had a similar problem around here(Ft.Worth) with crickets a couple of years ago, I found them all over my old trailer. They even clogged up my drain for the A/C unit. How they got up there I have no idea. But it seemed like I saw 100's of crickets all around the trailer, some even made it inside.
When they die, they stink as well. A big mess to unplug and clean up stuff.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yikes! I get up to read because I can't sleep and this is the first item I come across?

Here's a little article on them, in case you don't know what they are.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Aage, There here too. I just didn't realize what they were. Your link with the picture helped. I saw one the other day on the screen door. This is just great, first crickets and now stink bugs!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wish we just saw one. With the weather warming here they are coming out of hibernation left and right.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
We spend much time in PA near Gettysburg. Our camp is in the middle of the orchards on South Mountian. Last summer we were over run by stink bugs. They were into everything. Many would get in the Fan-Tastic fan, I would start it, blowing out, and it sounded like hail hitting the unit.

I carry a miniture shop vac just for cleaning up stink bugs; but what to do with them? Is there an insecticide. At home I send them to the super bowl to keep them from coming back. I the trailer I do not have a food place to dispose of them.

On TV, WUSA-9 out of Washington DC, had a segment which presented a recipe for cooking Stink Bugs. They cooked they on a grill with butter and garlic. Put them in a roll up with Mex ingredients and the said the little critters tase like celentro. I will never know.

dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Our biggest problem is red wasps and mud dobbers. They love to build nests in the hot water heater, ac, furnace, and storage places that are hard to see in and where you normally place your fingers (ouch). This past fall we bought some fiberglass screen window material and cut pieces to fit over all these openings and taped it in place. Of course we'll have to remove the material when we're using the AS but in between uses I hope this is sufficient to keep them at bay.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Aluminum wool, not steel as it will rust, is a good deterrent for flying and crawling critters as they won't chew through it. It can be difficult to find but any well-supplied hardware store should have it.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote