Old 10-21-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Espresso anyone?

Hello,

We have a new 25ft International and I'm looking to take my espresso on the road with me. I've tried stovetopping before and have not been impressed with them. I enjoy a french press, but nonetheless, it's just not an espresso.

I've been looking at the Nespresso Le Cube. It's listed at 1200 watts but I could not find any amperage info. If I have shore electricity, should I be able to run this?

It uses the little Nespresso capsule and virtually eliminates the pesky grounds and stains that I have here at home, but would give me my fix while on the road.

Anybody else running one of these or a similar machine while on the road?

thank you,

Doug

Old 10-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Keep it simple - how about one of these? They always work, require no electricity (so long as you have a propane stove) and makes perfect espresso. I know you said it's not your fave... but a little practice makes perfect and a fine grind makes all the difference.

No filters, no moving parts, never need to replace.. and still available for cheap!
Attached Images

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
_

. , .
yakman

we've at least a few other members here with a proclivity for pressed coffee...

check out this profile and threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...sso-12509.html

ok, more than one...

i gotta cut back....

Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine Rocky Grinder

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman
Hello,

...It uses the little Nespresso capsule and virtually eliminates the pesky grounds and stains that I have here at home, but would give me my fix while on the road....

Doug
I don't mind the grounds. It's what's for breakfast.

We tried lots of different coffee makers, but then we discovered the press and it's now all we use. We have a $150 Bunn coffee maker collecting dust because it doesn't compare to pressed.

I used one of these for a while, but switched to a Bodum press for both home and on the road.

GSI Mini-Espresso Gift Set - Polished Alum. 1 serving
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
]Yakman,
I you look closely the next time you go boondocking, that bluff over there is probably a cleverly disguised Starbucks

1200Watts is around 10Amps, so no worries about overloading the circuits on your trailer.

We pack our La Pavoni Pro when we know we can plug in somewhere.

For boondocking, we picked up this little gem for $20 on clearance at REI

Name:   carbon1.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  25.5 KB
Preva xSport Portable Espresso Maker | Single Serve Coffee - SingleServeCoffee.com

I like how these are put together because it mimicks the operation of an expansive pump unit.. It has a portafilter in the bottom for the grounds, a reservoir for hot water in the top. And a hand pump that presurizes air inthe reservoir and forces the water through the grounds, instead of relying on steam preasure.
You can compensate for your grind & altitude by giving more or less pumps.
(Like shooting your best friend in middle school with a 10 pump BB gun. Do I only give him 6 pumps, or let him have it with 18)
NOT that I condone that sort of behavior

With a little practice, I was able to pull off some good shots with this one.
The only drawback is it lacks any sort of steamer so, sadly, no frothy espresso drinks in the boonies. I guese thats why they call it "roughing it"

BTW, I found these guys in the kitchen this morning. Said they where looking for some dude named S Tardis. I told them Id pass the message along.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1209649811_l.gif
Views:	100
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	47807
Old 10-22-2007, 04:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

This one would look nice in my Airstream...

Ascaso-Dream

also, check this out for "the best espresso machine"
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
This is what we use
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	showImage.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	47811  
Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Keep it simple - how about one of these? They always work, require no electricity (so long as you have a propane stove) and makes perfect espresso. I know you said it's not your fave... but a little practice makes perfect and a fine grind makes all the difference.

No filters, no moving parts, never need to replace.. and still available for cheap!

Take it from a comestible liquids aficionado. What Janet said, except I prefer the stainless steel ones. We have a 2 cup and a 6 cup. Start with good coffee and grind fine. Have tried about every other type of coffee maker and few can measure up to a stove top espresso maker for ease of use and great coffee, if handled correctly. I brought the two cup back from Milan after watching a friend use it in his kitchen and tasting the coffee. If you like "long coffee" then just add hot water to the expresso after brewing.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
When I used to rough it, I took my Gaz burner and a French press and made the best camp coffee ever. The time and location determined how picky I needed to be about my coffee. Now that we've decided to spend "big money" and do it up aka "streaming", I've decided that I'll need to be a little more picky about my coffee choices while on the road. I don't have a lot of counter space so we'll have to see what to add. I'm sure it will need to travel in the back of the truck due to limited storage and rough handling while underway if left in the trailer. A french press or stovetopper is an absolute backup for power failures or boondocking but I definitely favor the quality of the espresso from a controlled pressure pump delivering that nice thick crema.

There's a newer stovetop out there from Piazza. Nice little stainless steel unit available in several sizes. It's a little more expensive than the others but has a moveable piston in it to deliver a little more precise brew. Anybody use one of them?

We have a Starbuck's Barista machine that my wife uses at home that may just have to serve some road duty. She never wanted to use the bigger Isomac machine we have. (which has turned out to be a piece of junk, but it still delivers my evening coffee).

2air, good to meet on "Common Grounds".. There's always something common to bond with at the campfire.

Cheers,

Doug
Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
wanderluster

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
(Sorry about the necro-post).

I just bought a Bodum Santos. I was really really sad to have to put away my Rancililo Silvia and Rocky, but they took up too much room and drew too much power. I couldn't justify it. The Santos makes great coffee though!!

www.bodumusa.com - the Bodum online shop
Old 06-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Crema

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	105598

I use a 6 or 7 year-old Starbuck’s BARISTA and an un-marked Italian grinder (nobody can figure out who made it), which is almost as old as my ARGOSY. I’ve been using the grinder daily for 30 years, ever since I bought it in Toronto.

Sergei

Old 06-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I know I've mentioned it before...but this rig makes the best darn coffee we've ever tasted - we use it all the time, quick coffee, quick cleanup...

We only use French Roast coffee, and keep a small pencil like thermometer to get our hot water right @ 175 degrees for the best taste - yummy! We usually make the 2oz shot and add additional hot water for our morning Coffee Americano brew....I can smell it now!

Aerobie® AeroPress(TM) Coffee & Espresso Maker

Read up on the comparisons with other types of coffee makers at the bottom of the site - very interesting...

Ray
Old 06-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hope to camp with some of ya'll sometime and sample some of your espresso in a morning latte.

We do not care for french press coffee, and our trips to Ireland and England yielded the lack of anything else the only thing thing we missed from home. We also find that our stove-top percolator makes better coffee than the coffee maker. One of the joys of boondocking.

Good coffee is one of life's little morning pleasures and waking up slowly over good coffee and a campfire---mmmmm. We favor 8 o'clock French Roast for our everyday brew, but stock up on Community Coffee when we are in the south, Baby's when in Florida and sample other local fare when available. The new Fresh Market here has barrels of freshly roasted coffee beans to buy by the pound, and one of those added in to the everyday beans really punches up the flavor.

Maggie
Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Maggie....I'm telling you if you love French Roast beans (as we do), you've never tasted them this good when done in the AeroPress that I mentioned above.

The AP is not a 'French Press' type coffee maker - check out their web site - a small disc type filter is used in the bottom of the 'press', it's a little bigger than a silver dollar, and enough filter for almost a year's morning coffee is only about $4...

You add water at 175 degrees, so yo don't get the bitterness of the grounds beans as you would in a percolator where the hotter water has to blanch down through the entire stack of grounds - read AeroPress' explanation of the various ways to make coffee...

With two scoops of grounds in the press for one cup of coffee, you let it steep for ten seconds after adding the water, using a special 'paddle' they provide...you then gently insert the 'plunger' and press the water through the grounds into your cup...when you're done, you remove the filter holder and press the 'hockey puck' of grounds into the trash, rinse off the end of the plunger and the filter holder, and you're good to go again...

You now have some great espresso, to which we now fill the cup with the remaining hot water to make our Cafe Americano - really yummy! On the downside, you only make one cup at a time, but it's quick to do for the two of us, and if we want another cup, the pot is quick to heat up to 175 dgs on the stove...

Finding someone close to you with an AP to try is another subject - I'd send you a great cup of our 'brew', but I'm afraid it might be cold by the time it gets there!

All the best...Ray