Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, Mexray---sounds good, but a little labor-intensive for early mornings.

May just have to try it at some point in time, though.

Maggie

Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
It's hard to beat the aroma of freshly ground French Roast beans in the morning, to get all one's body parts herded in the same direction...
Ray

Old 06-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
To speak of things, 'French roast'...we've used FR beans from a varity of sources over the years...we found some of the smaller roasters of coffee beans seem to do the best job...

Since a new local chain supermarket opened near us a couple of years ago, we've been using their beans - they have a guy in charge of the roasting that travels to their stores to resupply the fresh roasted beans in the bins on a weekly basis...

I ran into the fellow one Sat morning and explained how I enjoyed their FR beans, especially during their monthly 'sales', when they marked down the prices by a $1.50 or so a pound...

He showed me the 5 Lbs bags he brought to fill the bins and asked if I used enough to use a 5 pounder' once in a while!...YOU BET, was my reply, so whenever there's a sale on the beans, he leaves me a 5 pounder of fresh beans in a 'hidden' drawer of the bean bin - talk about special treatment! If I miss the sale (or still have enough on hand) he just uses 'my' bag to fill the bins again - great system!

I use our Foodsaver to repack the beans in 1 pound bags, and just take enough air out of the bag to shrink and seal it - don't want to force out any of those delicate FR bean oils, don't ya' know....
Ray
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Now, that's good customer service, Mexray.

We like Trader Joe's French Roast, too, and it is very reasonably priced. If you haven't tried theirs, perhaps Google them to find a location near you and make a visit.

We traveled with a small grinder our first year or so post-retirement, but found the mess and extra steps something we could eliminate in the interest of simplicity. We always use fresh beans at home, but carry ground in the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
There's nothing like a great cappuccino to start the day whether we're on the desert or the shore of L. Superior. A leisurely consumed cup defines the difference between retired life and the years before retirement.

I've been buying beans from Caracolillo Coffee Mill located in Tampa, FL, for the last couple of years. I place my order Sunday night, the mill roasts the coffee Monday and ships it the same day, and the coffee arrives 4 days later. The best part is that a 5lb bag of this freshly roasted FR coffee costs $25.25, and their espresso roast costs $19.50 per 5lb bag. With $10 shipping costs, the price per pound is still only $7 per pound for freshly roasted coffee.

Espresso Coffee, Roasted Coffee beans, Columbian, Gourmet Coffee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desert Java.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	105818  

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Who doesn't travel with an espresso machine?
We use an old La Pavoni lever machine. Makes great espresso and capuchino. We have traveled with this machine for years. This big problem is not the espresso machine but the grinder. A good grinder is just too big to travel with. We pre-grind the coffee before we go.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
We use the Nespresso Essenza. It only makes espresso and not cappucinos or other frothy drinks, but that's okay because we only drink espresso.

We have a few friends in Italy who swore by this machine, and when we visited them we found they were right-- it makes amazing espresso. It's also compact, durable, and extremely easy to use.

Nespresso D90/S Espresso Maker : Target

We bought one as soon as we came back to the USA after leaving Milan.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
There's nothing like a great cappuccino to start the day whether we're on the desert or the shore of L. Superior. A leisurely consumed cup defines the difference between retired life and the years before retirement.

I've been buying beans from Caracolillo Coffee Mill located in Tampa, FL, for the last couple of years. I place my order Sunday night, the mill roasts the coffee Monday and ships it the same day, and the coffee arrives 4 days later. The best part is that a 5lb bag of this freshly roasted FR coffee costs $25.25, and their espresso roast costs $19.50 per 5lb bag. With $10 shipping costs, the price per pound is still only $7 per pound for freshly roasted coffee.

Espresso Coffee, Roasted Coffee beans, Columbian, Gourmet Coffee
Wow, that's a great price!

You guys are funny, traveling with espresso machines.

We live in about 12 square feet on the road----and decisions are made daily about what is a must-have and what one can live without. We continue to downsize and simplify after 3 years and 73,000+ miles---but, it's a good thing, as Martha says. Wouldn't have it any other way.

We'll look for you on the road, and hope to mooch an espresso or two from some of you folks who live larger than we.

Maggie
Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Although not perfect, I think that the Aeropress does a GREAT job... for less than thirty bucks, and in a much smaller footprint!
- Mark Twain

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Forever Espresso

I love my Mr. Coffee espresso maker but wanted an alternative for boondocking. After much research, I ordered Forever Espresso Inox stovetop maker for $26.99 on Amazon Amazon.com: Forever Espresso Inox 4 Cup Espresso Maker.: Home & Garden

It makes such good espresso and so much easier than the electric one that I'm using it exclusively at home, too. It is solid stainless steel (no aluminium in my coffee!) and has good fitting silicon gasket instead of rubber.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
Nespresso

We just got a new (just came out) Nespresso Pixie for our 2010 27'FB and love it! We had a different model Nespresso maker for the past year but this one is smaller and cuter. We boondock often and does it just fine (we made sure when we were having our solar installed that we could still make cappuccinos, of course).
New espresso maker! - Riveted

more options: Espresso in the Airstream - Riveted
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
Espresso while boondocking

I just found this: Another no-electricity option for espresso - Riveted