Old 12-08-2002, 09:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to keylime
Diesel Stove/Heat/Hot Water

In my surfing around looking for alternatives and possibilities for a retro-fit, I came across a marine stove/furnace/water heater combination that might offer some interesting options. Perhaps the boating community might know more about these units, and they certainly wouldn't be on interest to anyone looking to restore their Silver Pellet to vintage specs.

However, the idea of getting heat, cooking/baking and hot water (via coils) might make these of interest. Since the units are for marine use, the particular one I was looking at was stainless steel. In addition, the boating community has long been concerned with the performance:space ratio.

Dickenson Marine offers stoves
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/shop/...ies-stoves.asp
and also heaters. I don't work for them and am not connected with them in any way. Somehow, I imagine baking a chicken in the oven and it coming out with a perfect diesel-aroma. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a unit like these.

Thanks in advance, attached is a photo snitched from their website.

Keylime
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2002, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You are going to have to plumb heat either with a coil or a small radiator and fan through the existing ducts to heat your holding tanks if you were going to do any type of cold weather camping.

You will also need a fuel tank, that is where the smell is going to come in. Consumption is fairly high, 3.2 gals per 24 hrs. (you will need a good sized tank for any length of stay) and only 16,250 btu's.

John

Old 12-08-2002, 10:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
The question you have to ask yourself...

is this: Am I going to save that much money by switching to diesel fuel, to pay for the cost of the conversion? Diesel is 139,000 BTU per gallon vs 91,500 for propane. I can get propane for $1.20 at Flying J. One of our local gas stations has diesel for $1.61 right now! Another factor to consider is leaks. With a propane leak, the gas evaporates, and the smell goes with it. With a diesel leak, it takes quite a long time for it to evaporate, and the smell to vanish. (If it ever). I have propane appliances in my house and would never consider switching to fuel oil. I just like the cleanliness and oderless operation of propane to much.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I have been dreaming of re-doing my Tradewind's intererior since I got it four months ago. Diesel appliances have always attracted me because I have a diesel truck and refueling would be a breaze. Furthermore, diesel is a whole lot easier to find than LP.

Here in VA, LP cost $2.50/gal, diesel is $1.50/gal. I have been to several places that were unable to get my LP tanks refilled for some odd reason, and several others charge a flat fee per cylinder wether it is completely empty or not.

I love the stoves/hotwater heaters offered by Dickerson. I have also found a source for forced air diesel heaters here:

http://www.webasto-thermo.com/

Look under "truck" then "air top 3500." It is a pretty cool heater, and takes a fraction of space the the LP heaters use.

Diesel does smell, but it would be easy to rig up a tank that could be filled from outside so the smell should never make it inside. Plus Diesel is much less combustible than LP. If there was a leak, the fumes would be less dangerous that the liquid itself.

The only thing that I haven't found is a deisel refer. I have thought about kerosene refers. They should be able to be modified to work with diesel, but they all seem to work with a "wick" and don't have a 120volt option.

Just my thoughts.

Patrick
PatCrusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 08:22 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
taxes

your diesel fuel price for non road use wouldn't include the taxes, that would lower the price per gallon a bit.

cool idea

john
Old 12-08-2002, 09:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
That Webasto unit does look pretty cool, and the fuel consumption is low. But for the 3 30# tanks of propane I use in a year, it would not be worth it.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

It probably wouldn't be worth it to replace all of the appliances for no reason. I know that all of my appliances are pretty worn out. My stove is covered in rust spots and needs to be at least refinnished.

The main reason that I would even consider using diesel appliances is because I have a diesel truck now. It is easy for me to fill up everything at one time.

Hopefully, I will be able to begin re-doing my AS next year, and I will give serious thoughts to using diesel appliances. If I could only find a solution to the refrigerator, I would probably jump on the idea.

Patrick

PatCrusse is offline   Reply With Quote