Old 01-20-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Appliances

I will soon be shopping for an oven/range or cooktop; refrigerator; water heater; potty; converter; brake controller for the rebuild on my '57 Bubble. Any thoughts on brand names and price range? Due to the size of my trailer, they would all have to be fairly compact, esp., the frig.
I've decided on no microwave and definitely a Fantastic Fan but the other products are all up for grabs. thanks.
Jo Ann

Old 01-20-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How are you going to use it? Dry camping or mainly parks with full hookups? You can buy stove tops with ovens, or just the stove top if you won't ever use the oven, that gives space for storage or a microwave if you would use that. Same with the frig, it all you want to do is weekends you can get a tiny one and save more space. You have a blank slate (albeit a small one), before you buy think about what your lifestyle will be when using this. The appliances, toilet, etc. are available from any place that sells rv parts, Camper's choice, Camping World, etc. The brand names are rather limited, the market is pretty specialized. You can also try marine items, but they can be pricey sometimes.

John

Old 01-20-2003, 11:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Appliances

Good points - yes it is my intention to be able to camp without hook-ups if need be since this trailer will be my "fishing camp on wheels". So I am going to put in holding tanks (it only had one tank - a 7 gal fresh water tank) for grey and black. Propane and 110v and one of these days probably a solar collector for remote use. No oven - no cookies.
I do want a freezer in the frig but have considered also using my new super Coleman icechest for dry-ice storage (in the bed of the pickup truck tow vehicle) to keep frozen steaks; veggies; with off-loading as consumed. Anybody use that method? I saw some river guides do this on a 5 day float trip in very hot weather. One big ice chest with dry-ice and several smaller ones with the food items. Each morning they would off-load some of the dry-ice into each of the smaller chests. By the end of the 5 days, there was still hard ice cream in the dry-ice cooler. I think dry-ice uses oxygen but as long as it is in the truck, and no the trailer, it should be safe. Think?
Old 01-21-2003, 06:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Dry ice doesn't use oxygen but it is frozen carbon dioxide. As it warms the concentration in the surrounding area could become very high, good reason to not have it in anything enclosed.

John
Old 01-21-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Dry Ice

Thanks for the info John. My plan is to keep the ice chest with the dry ice in the camper shell of the tow vehicles. I think I'd better crack the windows of the shell as well as close the window between the cab and the shell. Hopefully that will take care of dissipating the CO2.
Jo Ann