Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Any Questions for Dometic?

Hi Forum Folk,

I will be headed to the 'Mother of all RV Appliance Manufacturers'...... DOMETIC, INC. in La Grange, Indiana on Monday of next week, 1/7 to attend their 3 day workshop to be certified as a 'Dometic Preferred Repair Facility'.

While I'm there, I will have access to their best techs and trouble-shooters.

If you have any specific questions about your Dometic appliances that you can't find answers to, let me know what they are and I'll try to get some answers for you. After all, if they don't know.....who does?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Yes, my big question is could they make an economy model RV frig.? These things are so expensive that people have to go to regular household refrigerators. I know they are great appliances and well made, but it's something a lot of us would be interested in.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
What does CLC and LAC really stand for and what do they really do?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Waiting to blow...

Thank's for the recall, have you really FIXED it yet??
Old 01-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Yes, Dometic needs to know that their products do not last as long as they used to. Rust through of the coil assemblies is a major problem. Most technitions will tell you that 6-8 years is the best one can hope for. The products they built in the 70's were much more durable. Either the tubing thickness should be increased, or a better rust inhibiting coating should be applied to the coils. Thanks, George.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
how about a cheap 12 volt conversion kit for older fridges.

the tube for the heating element comes on every one produced.

john
Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Could you ask them if they have a spare gasket for the freeze door on an RM 660......or if the 2501 parts will work....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hi Forum Folk,

I will be headed to the 'Mother of all RV Appliance Manufacturers'...... DOMETIC, INC. in La Grange, Indiana on Monday of next week, 1/7 to attend their 3 day workshop to be certified as a 'Dometic Preferred Repair Facility'.

While I'm there, I will have access to their best techs and trouble-shooters.

If you have any specific questions about your Dometic appliances that you can't find answers to, let me know what they are and I'll try to get some answers for you. After all, if they don't know.....who does?
If you read the reason for my post and subsequent offer, it applies to the Dometic technical area.....NOT AS A COMPLAINT VEHICLE!!

If you have a specific beef with Dometic about any of their products, I would respectfully suggest that you contact them directly. I don't work for Dometic, nor does my affiliation extend beyond performing warranty work and repairs for their products....just like I do for every other RV component manufacturer that I am associated with.

I'll be glad to discuss specific technical questions with them, but anything beyond that.....you're on your own!!!

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Maybe this isn't the right kind of question but I have to ask. Why is it that the newer Dometics aren't made the same size as the older models? One would think that the better technology of insulating that wall thickness would get thinner and the interior size of the fridge would improve if they kept with the same exterior dimensions. It sure would be a benefit to all of us refinishing an older RV.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Many are the same size.

Some of the replacements at least are the same size. I think what happens is we are limited by what the dealer carries in stock. Here is Dometic's replacement chart showing the comparable sizes for old models. For our RM 660 the 2510 non AES is the same size. Maybe we need to make the dealer order something closer to a fit for our vintage units - or just a hair smaller. The old 660 we have will still freeze your frosty cold beverages if you set it too low - which is why we want to replace the gasket and hang on to it.

Dometic replacement chart link:
http://www.dometicusa.com/media/replacement.png
Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #11
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Good morning Lew-

Yes, please ask them for me why the door shelves keep breaking. We have replaced three of the shelves in less than three years. The formed notch in the upper part of the molded shelve that slides into the door keeps breaking off, hence making a mess when opening door not to mention needing to order antoher shelf.

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Good morning Lew-

Yes, please ask them for me why the door shelves keep breaking. We have replaced three of the shelves in less than three years. The formed notch in the upper part of the molded shelve that slides into the door keeps breaking off, hence making a mess when opening door not to mention needing to order antoher shelf.

Rick
HI Rick,

I have the same problem, and I will be loking for answers/suggestions from them on this one for sure.

Ganglin,

I'll check on your gaskets, ut they no longer make gasket replacement sets for their newer units.....they simply replace the doors!!!

Brad,

Ganglin is right about the replacement chart.......many newer units very closely replace the older ones. Thanks for posting the chart. It is on the Dometic USA web site, BTW.

john HD,

I'll surely ask about this.

Michele,

I'll check that out also!

George,

I'll definitely discuss longevity, as it is a problem that affects units as new as months with bad cooling units.

juel,

I would suspect that the international character of Dometic (sourcing parts and supplies world-wide), the complexity of fabricating the cooling units (they are like many pieces of spaghetti inside what appears to be one solid tube) and the sheer costs of manufacture prevent this. I have seen some less expensive units, but never an economy model from any manufacturer.

The other problem is that these units must withstand the pounding from travel, which cheap household products do not have to endure. The luxury busses like Prevost, Newell, and high-end Monaco, Country Coach and the like are now going to all-electric household fridges with only slight modifications. They are experiencing many problems caused by bouncing down the road!!

I will pose the question though..............
Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Lewster,

How come my beer supply disappears from my Dometic fridge faster than it does for a similar period at home?

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

My 1972 model cools fine and woeks normal on 110vac. But it overheats the rear enclosure to 185' on gas. could this be a broken gas heat exchange tube vs the 110 tube on this model? if yes, is this repairable? thanks!!
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
How come my beer supply disappears from my Dometic fridge faster than it does for a similar period at home?

Pat

Now that's funny.....
Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Hi Lew,
Thanks for your interest. We have a 1993 Classic with the original Dometic Penguin HVAC unit. Seems that it has just about reached retirement. Do you recommend replacing with another Penguin or is there a better unit to replace with.

Thanks,
Curt
tinman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1
Hi Lew,
Thanks for your interest. We have a 1993 Classic with the original Dometic Penguin HVAC unit. Seems that it has just about reached retirement. Do you recommend replacing with another Penguin or is there a better unit to replace with.

Thanks,
Curt
Curt,

I see more Penguins than any other model used on the RVs I service, with RVP (Coleman) next and just a few Carriers. I personally like the Dometics, as they are more straightforward to work on (from my side of things) . Of course, your budget may dictate otherwise as I have sen some outrageous deals on the web. The 3 year warranty sure is nice!

AirConditioner,

You may have a blocked chimney tube, which would cause the situation that you describe. I would pull the fridge, remove the spiral baffle (it's hanging n the coat hangar-like wire found at the tup of the chimney tube) thoroughly brush out the chimney tube (be sure to either remove or cover your LP burner BEFORE you do this) and clean the spiral baffle. I would also shine a light down the chimney and do a visual inspection.

If this doesn't remedy the situation, let me know!

Pat,

AFAIK, the Amish and Mennonites that populate that part of Indiana don't know much about beer, but they sure do make nice RVs!! If I were you, I would keep closer tabs on the folks that you allow into your rig....ya just never know who's thirsty and who's not! Either that, or just start a beersign-up sheet and put it on the fridge door when camping.

I know several folks that have Norcold units that are having the exact same probem, so it seems pandemic to RV fridges in general.......especially when camping!!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
One thing I appreciate about Lewster - he always finds a way to communicate at his questioner's level. And you learn something.

But what the heck do you do with a list full of "x"s?

Dos?
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Oh, Oh, Oh... me, me....
I have been trying.... can you ask for a source of manuals for the older units? I have a 62 gas only and would love to know what dometic intended me to do to keep it going. I know that with a gas only, there are no moving parts to break, but I would just like to have the manual on hand. You might also tell them that I am one satisfied customer and would not dream of replacing it with anything else. If you feel like it, you can add that they should bring back that wonderful shade of pink. Thank you, and have a great time.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Oh, Oh, Oh... me, me....
I have been trying.... can you ask for a source of manuals for the older units? I have a 62 gas only and would love to know what dometic intended me to do to keep it going. I know that with a gas only, there are no moving parts to break, but I would just like to have the manual on hand. You might also tell them that I am one satisfied customer and would not dream of replacing it with anything else. If you feel like it, you can add that they should bring back that wonderful shade of pink. Thank you, and have a great time.
62 O',

Get me the model and serial #'s. It will make the search much easier.....

Pat,

THANKS!

I thought that 'X's only came in dobles in the liquid state.....unless of course they come in 3's ....but we won't go there on this Forum!