Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
ADA Height Toilet

I replaced our home toilet with an ADA height toilet to help Patty since she has knee problems. She's so pleased with that toilet that I've been told to replace the other one in the house, and I wouldn't be surprised after our first trip out next week that she is probably going to ask for improvements to the Classic's toilet.

I guess the question is 2 part. For a low cost solution I found this. Thetford Thetford Toilet Riser
Looks fairly good and for all intents this would give us the height.

The other solution is an actual replacement with a new toilet. We have a center bath 30' Classic and the toilet is next to a cabinet. Does anyone have a suggestion for a compatible unit and any other advice? Here is a picture of the current toilet and its surroundings.

My install of my home toilet was pretty easy. I didn't use a wax seal but instead opted for a new style seal which is a poly foam unit called Sani-Seal. It pretty much eliminates any mistakes or damage to the wax seal. Not sure if there is an equivalent for RV toilets. Here's the link to the gasket. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ew&Form=IQFRDR

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB220008.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	186800  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have the same bath setup as you. I replaced the toilet with a Dometic 310. It is taller than the one you have, but shorter than ADA height (I stayed in a hotel handicap room last night on business travel and that toilet was maybe 2" taller than the AS toilet). The RV industry has been using foam gaskets for a long time as wax would not take the vibrations and motion under travel. They come with the toilet.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have the same bath setup as you. I replaced the toilet with a Dometic 310. It is taller than the one you have, but shorter than ADA height (I stayed in a hotel handicap room last night on business travel and that toilet was maybe 2" taller than the AS toilet). The RV industry has been using foam gaskets for a long time as wax would not take the vibrations and motion under travel. They come with the toilet.
Thanks for the info Rich. Glad to hear about the use of foam gaskets. I wondered how wax would hold up. Any issues or regrets on the Dometic?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Some years ago, Maria had a major operation and was having a lot of difficulty with the toilet. I bought one of these things, and it worked our well:

Amazon.com: Duro-Med Deluxe Plastic 5 Toilet Seat Riser, White: Health & Personal Care

What I'm not very sure of is whether it'd fit into an RV toilet.

Lynn
Old 05-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
If you get a new toilet get one with a ceramic bowl.

Also it looks like you can do the same thing I did in my trailer and install the toilet angled away from the cabinet to give more leg room while sitting down.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Jack,

We have the same bath layout as yours in a 1997 Excella 1000. I also have knee problems and 1 replacement. I replaced ours with a Thetford Bravura High Profile. Works great! When installing, I also rotated the toilet about 30 degrees to the left(if sitting) or counter-clockwise if looking at the toilet. Gives greater accessability for me and is more comfortable without sacrificing any room in the bath. Just did not like my knee hitting the cabinet or my elbow either.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Thanks for the info Rich. Glad to hear about the use of foam gaskets. I wondered how wax would hold up. Any issues or regrets on the Dometic?

Jack
Nope, I like it just fine. That model has a ceramic bowl, but the rest is plastic, saving some weight. I probably will, someday replace the plastic lid and seat with residential. A little afraid to sit on the lid...it's pretty flimsy.

Also, as Bruce says, turn it a little....mine was turned from the factory. It gives you a little more leg and elbow room.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I had the same problem for my wife - Bought the taller toilet but also used the riser - worked great - wife loves and even I find it easier to use!
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
I had the same problem for my wife - Bought the taller toilet but also used the riser - worked great - wife loves and even I find it easier to use!
Quite honestly I'm tempted to buy the Thetford riser base. I see them at Camping World on sale for $28. So figuring seal replacement also, I don't think I can go wrong for the price. I'll need to relook first and check out the height of the current toilet. There are two size Bravura's that were made in 2004. From what I can see the low model was just over 13" high with the taller one being 16". 17" is pretty typical for ADA home toilets. Obviously if I have a 13" model a 2 1/2" riser base is still an 1 1/2" shy of the home toilet, and not high enough. I'm bringing home the trailer Sunday so we will check out the height. If it's a 13" model, I'll probably replace the toilet. If it's the 16" model I may need to think about that. Going to 18 1/2" might be too high.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
We had the Dometic 310 installed. It makes a hammer/slamming sound with each press of pedal. Had the Airstream dealer said that is normal for that item. We will replace it with a different
Old 05-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Oops. Dealer said that is normal for the Dometic. I think it can be heard by neighboring campers. It is going to be replaced. Also, the seat is ridiculous. You can't sit on it or you may fall through.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenturnr View Post
We had the Dometic 310 installed. It makes a hammer/slamming sound with each press of pedal. Had the Airstream dealer said that is normal for that item. We will replace it with a different
It is not normal. Usually line hammer is a pluming issue. Air in the system or a vibrating pulsing pump. Mine is dead quiet after getting air out of the lines from a drained system.

I find the seat the same as at home....and I have a skinny butt! TMI, I know.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

It is not normal. Usually line hammer is a pluming issue. Air in the system or a vibrating pulsing pump. Mine is dead quiet after getting air out of the lines from a drained system.

I find the seat the same as at home....and I have a skinny butt! TMI, I know.
How should I explain that to Airstream service mgr so they can fix problem? I thought it may be caused by too much water pressure. Thanks for any suggestions. She is sitting at dealer now with awning repair.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, difficult to diagnose it from here....I can't quite hear it from here, but isolating the pump from the floor and adding the flexible pulsation hose kit on the pump would help. Maybe a surflow expansion tank. Also, isolating a particular water line from the wall or floor. Any contact area between plumbing lines and it's surrounding mounting point which amplifies the pulses of the pump is a likely culprit.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
I stopped by the local dealership and they want $45 for the Thetford extension platform in parchment color. I noticed Camping World is selling a "bone" color Thetford platform for $28. Anyone know if those two are the same colors? The box at the dealership said parchment on its label.

I'll probably have to change the hinges on the storage bin next to my toilet since the additional height will probably get in the way of the door. I think I can move the hinges to the bottom of the door which will allow the door to tilt out.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #16

Fenton , Missouri
Took a ride out to the new Camping World in Columbia Mo. last week and found the Thetford toilet riser on sale for $31. While the shelf tag showed "bone" as the color the label on the box said "parchment". I took the riser over to the toilet yesterday and parchment is the correct color to match my existing toilet.

I also checked out the water connection and it's a solid horizontal water line going into an elbow which changes it to vertical all the way into a female fitting that screws into the toilet. Al the pipes are compression fitted. I figured this was going to be a nightmare.

I had to drop the trailer off at the dealer to check out a wheel so I asked the guy in parts how to get this line extended 2 1/2 inches to accommodate the toilet mounted on the platform.

He noted that they don't have the tools to make the compression fittings like the factory did for my trailer but he offered me these alternatives and instructions.

Once I pull the toilet, cut the pipe just to the left of the elbow that changes the pipe direction from horizontal to vertical. He gave me a double compression elbow which is at the bottom of the picture below. He then told me to cut the vertical pipe at two points. One was where the pipe attached to the vertical side of the old elbow, and the other cut it needs to be as close to the female nut (which connects the toilet) as possible. This leaves me with the vertical pipe now cut on both ends. At the top of the photo is a new double compression fitting. One side to connect to the top of the pipe, the other to the toilet.

So if all works right we will put the new compression elbow on the horizontal pipe. Then connect the vertical pipe. We then put the riser base on (Thetford has a guideline as to where to drill the hole for the pipe. I'll slip the double compression fitting over the pipe making sure the female nut is facing upwards. I'll mount the toilet on the riser, and according to the dealer that new compression fitting will provide the extra length needed. If it's too long, I can trim the vertical pipe. If it falls short I can easily buy s longer piece of vertical pipe. Bottom line this should be very easy.

The Thetford riser comes with two new seals, one for the riser to the tank, and another for the riser to the toilet. It also comes with two pairs of longer toilet bolts. You only have use one pair, but because Thetford built this to fit different models of their branded toilets you have to choose the appropriate length dependent upon your model.

My only other obstacle will probably be a cabinet door which swings over the top of the toilet. I'm pretty sure the ext a 2 1/2" will probably block that door (at least when the seat and cover are down). If it opens with the seat up, no issue. But if it doesn't, I'll probably move the hinges on the door from the side to the bottom of the door which should allow easy access to the cabinet contents. I'll shoot some pictures as I complete this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB220008.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	191506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	191507  

AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
I put the riser on the toilet today. I thought I might get enough height from the vertical 1/2" pipe but the new compression fittings didn't give me the height extension that I was looking for. So I'm going to run over to Lowes and see if they might have a longer piece of plastic 1/2". If not I'll run over to the local RV dealer on Monday. I could force it to fit but it would put the entire pipe under stress. I'd rather not have that since I've seen screw on compression fittings leak in those circumstances. Especially when the trailer is subject to road vibrations.

Over all the job was very easy. On the Bravura Thetford toilet you pull a panel off that surounds the step flush pedal. That gives you access to two nuts (1/2') that easily unscrew. You unscrew the water supply from the back and the toilet easily lifts off.

Thetford supplies longer toilet bolts and 2 gaskets. You place the first gasket on the bottom of the riser, and place it over the sewer hole and over the bolts (holes match easily). Then you tip the toilet, remove the old gasket and slip on the new one. Then put the toilet onto the riser matching the holes in the toilet with the bolts. This takes a little patience but once you get it on, you start bolting the toilet down. Just do it evenly and eventually the entire assembly is good and tight. Reconnect the water line to the toilet and you are done.

In my case the toilet sits higher than the closet next to it which blocks the door. I find if the cover and seat are up, the door clears easily.

The cost of the riser was $31 at Camping World. The color was parchment which was the exact match for the toilet. They also come in white and bone color. Picture on the right shows the vertical pipe that I need to buy.

The picture in the previous post shows the before, and on the left below, the after.

FYI I did sit on the toilet and it is rock solid. The platform gives it great support. Patty's knees should thank me for this.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	192375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	192376