Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks for Checking

I'm pretty sure the Fantastic Fan on my 2000 worked just as you described, withidl. That's why I was so surprised when the vent cover motor ran with the fan switch in the "off" position. So, I just dug out the instruction sheet. It says, "When sensor becomes wet, dome will close automatically and shut off fan blade, if it is on." This wording seems to imply that it will also close automatically if fan is off, as happened to me. My FF is a Model 6000A. The instructions were printed 04-04.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
how does the rain sensor sense to close for rain if it already closed? That part does not make sense here...

if you want the rain sensor to work when the fan is off, turn it off by adjusting the thermostat. If it is too hot to turn on, the fan will not run but the sensor will close the lid when it rains.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Fantastic 101

Just for quick future reference:
If you want your rain sensor to close the lid, but have the fan not run, put the motor control in "1", and the air switch in "neutral", between "in" and "out".
If you want the vent open or closed, no matter what, open the vent, and turn the motor switch to "0".
For factory-installed Fantastics, to make sure everything is off, make sure the fan motor is at "0", and the fan switch is "off".
Old 10-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
If It Had Been A Snake..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Just for quick future reference:
If you want your rain sensor to close the lid, but have the fan not run, put the motor control in "1", and the air switch in "neutral", between "in" and "out".
If you want the vent open or closed, no matter what, open the vent, and turn the motor switch to "0".
For factory-installed Fantastics, to make sure everything is off, make sure the fan motor is at "0", and the fan switch is "off".
I'd have been bitten! I remember using the "air switch" NEUTRAL position several years back but had forgotten it was there. Thanks for pointing it out (I need to write that down so as not to forget it again).
Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl
I'd have been bitten! I remember using the "air switch" NEUTRAL position several years back but had forgotten it was there. Thanks for pointing it out (I need to write that down so as not to forget it again).
Ah, but the newer fans don't have an In-Off-Out switch. It has been replaced by a simple On-Off switch as the factory installed fans only exhaust. I miss that feature that allows them to pull in fresh air. Turning the thermostat to warmer or turning the fan speed to 0 kills the fan but not the lid motor. I believe the On-Off switch should kill both but I haven't verified that.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
Ah, but the newer fans don't have an In-Off-Out switch. It has been replaced by a simple On-Off switch as the factory installed fans only exhaust. I miss that feature that allows them to pull in fresh air. Turning the thermostat to warmer or turning the fan speed to 0 kills the fan but not the lid motor. I believe the On-Off switch should kill both but I haven't verified that.
The "On-Off" switch does not kill them both. That's what this thread is all about. The Fantastic Fan is wired to close the vent cover when it rains even when the "On-Off" switch is "Off."
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
The "On-Off" switch does not kill them both. That's what this thread is all about. The Fantastic Fan is wired to close the vent cover when it rains even when the "On-Off" switch is "Off."
Exactly. Also, if you want the reversing switch, all you have to do is call Fantastic, and they'll happily send you one for a small fee, with installation instructions. IIRC, the last one I bought was maybe $15, delivered to my door.