Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Xantrex XP1000 in my 67 Overlander

I just picked up one of these inverters at Costco (they were closing out really cheap) to install in my Overlander and looking for recommendations on where to mount. Some background in order. I still have original Univolt, and although I have heard all the bad rap, it isn't noisy, I haven't had problem boiling my batteries, so just haven't found the need to replace with an inverter. I have two group 27 Marine Lead acid "maintenance free" batteries essentially installed under the street side bed (original exterior panel and then under bed in a battery box. I primarily boondock, don't believe a microwave or hair dryer belongs in a camping trailer, can make coffee on my stove top with a tea kettle and french press.
I do however like to use my mac laptop on the road. Amazingly there is no recommended 12 supply. Ridiculous since the laptop runs on DC. So the small inverter makes sense for me.
I was thinking of installing on the floor or side wall of the wardrobe closet just aft of the bed. The DC runs would be very short and the inverter would be out of the way when not in use. For charging the laptop, it should be fine, with either the laptop sitting in the closet, or on the bed.
Now what other uses will I end up using the inverter for. Probably some power tool on rare occasion, or kitchen device. In those cases I figure an extension cord to the kitchen or even a double male plug into the bathroom outlet to provide AC throughout the coach could work.
Thoughts, other suggestions?
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Have been considering doing something similar in our trailer someday. What I do know about DC wiring is that you want any high current device as close to the battery as possible. If you can mount it on/in a cabinet where the switch is easily accessible on the inverter, all the better. That way you can turn it off while boondocking and save some valuable Amp Hours.

(We share your opinion on the micro / hair drier / electric coffee maker. In our 18 footer, there's no room for any of it anyway! )
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You guys have it right about the location of the inverter but one caution: unless you have AGM batteries or have the batteries in a sealed and vented box, it should NOT be placed in the same compartment as the batteries, due to the possibility of hydrogen sulfide gas explosion.

That said, as close as possible, with the largest cabling that is practical. Even though I mounted my Magnum 2000 watt sine wave inverter within 18" of my batteries, I used AWG 4/0 cable to totally eliminate any possibility of voltage drop or amperage loss due to the wire run.

And Joe,

It's far easier to run 120VAC from the inverter that to run 12VDC TO the inverter! for a 1000 watt maximum load, you can easily run a AWG 16 ga. from the inverter to handle the 8.3 amp load, but for starting surges, I would go no smaller than 14 ga.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks Lewster

for the comments about placing in another cabinet (which I had planned) and 4 awg wire. I think xantek supplied a couple of feet of 6, but I think I will get 4 or even 2. I am not using sealed AGM, but in the under bed storage in a battery box. I plan to put the inverter in the closet just aft of that cabinet. I figure while running I will typically leave that closet door open. I keep watching for reasons to dump the univolt...but subscribe to the if it ain't broke don't fix it, and just haven't found anything wrong with it.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3957 View Post
I primarily boondock, don't believe a microwave or hair dryer belongs in a camping trailer, can make coffee on my stove top with a tea kettle and french press.
I do however like to use my mac laptop on the road. Amazingly there is no recommended 12 supply. Ridiculous since the laptop runs on DC. So the small inverter makes sense for me.
Now how in the world are you going to get by without a microwave and hair dryer? Its just not possible so you need to rethink your program.
Actually this was fun to read.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Now how in the world are you going to get by without a microwave and hair dryer?
Don't you have to have hair to need a hair dryer?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
hair

you guys are on to me...I shave my head...that leaves some hair, but its a remarkable thing in the desert it dries pretty quick
Old 07-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
hair dryer? i thought that's what the vent fan was for!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote