Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Maryland
xantrex linklite vs trimetric 2025A battery monitor

I'm trying to choose between the xantrex linklite and trimetric 2025A battery monitors. Anyone have recommendations or feel like sharing their experience with one or both of these?

Thanks
demondeacon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have the Tri-Metric 2025RV. I like it a lot and it has been flawless. It is capable of giving you the basic info on level one, through advanced analysis and diagnostics on level three. You can go as deep as you want.
I have no experience with any other brand or model.

Also, I would advise to check in with Randy at Bestconverter.com. He is very helpful and knowledgeable. His prices were competative as well. I have no affiliation with bestconverter.com other than a satisfied customer.

He is a forum member here as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Do you have any specific goals for your purchase? What is it that you want an 'integrating ammeter' (aka electron counter) to tell you? What features are you looking for and why? How do you see the device modifying your behavior or being used to assist decision making?
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's a link to my install thread, if you find it helpful at all:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ade-70932.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have had the earlier 2020 for 6 years and am very happy with it. It will provide you with as much info as you want to deal with.

I find the amp hour measurements particularly useful with a solar array.

I have no experience with the other unit but don't see how it would be any better
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
How do you see the device modifying your behavior or being used to assist decision making?
1. The device would provide a useful indication of battery capacity as it changes over the life of the battery, by comparing Ah of discharge from full to 50% (or some other benchmark), based on voltage and temperature. As such it could inform decisionmaking on battery replacement.

2. It would be a means of confirming proper operation of the charging system particularly in situations where a partial charge is applied. For example, when using (and depending on) the charge line from a tow vehicle, the device could confirm retrospectively that charging had been proceeding at a reasonable rate while underway, if checked at a rest stop. A voltmeter isn't practical for this because an accurate reading requires a delay and then a partial discharge cycle to disperse the surface charge, a process which takes at least 10 minutes and results in the deliberate loss of some charge. Even so a voltmeter will not provide a useful indication after, say, half an hour of driving, that 15 aH were in fact delivered to 300 aH of batteries indicating that everything is working.

3. It provides a means of measuring the cumulative effects of conservation in smaller increments than is practical with a voltmeter thereby allowing budgeting of electrical usage to take place.

4. As a convenience an integrating ammeter would provide a more accurate measurement of state of charge than a voltmeter would without disconnecting the load or charging source.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I installed the Trimetric 2025 in my 2012 Int'l two weekends ago. Took about an hour -- I think I was smart to order the shunt and wiring harness with it. Very straightforward install. There was room to install the shunt in the battery compartment, but did have to do some careful work in cutting the negative batter cable EXACTLY the right length. I ran the 2025 cabling along the main wiring harness, and went up and into the trailer alongside the copper gas line. The meter is a surface mount, and I installed it directly above the 110V outlet which is adjacent to my L shaped sofa. Very clean install. Looks great, works perfectly. AMAZING to follow how my rig works both when I'm on shore power and on battery. AND, a nice complement to the upgraded converter that I'd previously installed. Having a three level converter that will "float" my battery -- as I read on these forums-- should lead to more info for me, batter performance, and longevity. The instructions that come with the 2025 are very detailed, and if you want to get a degree in EE you can go all the way to their third level. Level 1 tells me a whole lot more about where I am than I'd have ever known before. Let me know if you have any ?, as the install is fresh in my mind. AND, good luck with this!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "The device would provide a useful indication of battery capacity as it changes over the life of the battery" -- this is one thing the integrating ammeters don't do directly.

re: "a means of confirming proper operation of the charging system" -- they are well suited for this.

re: "It provides a means of measuring the cumulative effects of conservation in smaller increments" -- this could be an interesting topic for exploration in depth, I think.

re: "As a convenience an integrating ammeter would provide a more accurate measurement of state of charge than a voltmeter" -- Since the devices usually have a voltmeter function, you can determine a state of charge. The net energy flow doesn't do this.

re: "Having a three level converter that will "float" my battery -- as I read on these forums-- should lead to more info for me, batter performance, and longevity." -- careful here,

Since it appears from the conversation here that I am rowing upstream and getting close to being in a narrow channel without a paddle, I had probably better consider myself censored and leave the unpleasant ideas out of irritation range so I don't stimulate inappropriate responses. Maybe some other time, some other place ...
Quote:
I think I was smart to order the shunt and wiring harness with it
good assessment, I think.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Maryland
Thanks everyone. After the feedback here and talking with Randy at bestconverter, I've decided to go with the Trimetric 2025A. I will be installing with my new solar system over the next few weeks.
demondeacon3 is offline   Reply With Quote