Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Would the Iota DLS-55 converter be enough?

I am replacing my old Triad converter, which is practically dead. I was told the Iota DLS-55 would do a good job. The old triad says it has a 70 amp max and the Iota has 55. I just want to make sure this is more than adequate as I plan on adding several new puck-style 12-volt lights and a more powerful 15,000 BTU A/C unit. I know nothing about this stuff. Just want to make sure I will have what I need. Thoughts?

adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I should think it is plenty. I have an Iota 45 in my trailer. The amp rating is for charging the batteries. Your air conditioner will run on 110 Volts directly from your electrical hookup at a campground so the ampacity of the charger doesn't matter.

BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
thanks for the input. i'm gonna go ahead and order that one.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
Adwriter, the 55 Iota is more than enough unless you have a huge battery bank. There was some strange applications from Airstream in the past with the old Univolts as they use to call them when they had huge 75 amp units in 31 foot and even smaller trailers I think. I think most of that was because the charge output was less and they didn't used to share the load like they do now. I have disected every, triad, litton, newmark, and a host of other that made the converters for Airstream over the years and I do know that 55 amps is more than adaquate for a 31 foot Airstream or any other coach of that size with a couple of batteries.
You will not have any problem and I can tell you for sure that most people over size their converters. 45-55 amps is all you need for most Airstreams. I'd consider a 60-75 amp unit for a 34 footer with a large bank of batteries.
Randy 208-514-8950
Converters, Inverters, Monitors, EMS, Zamp Solar
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote