Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Won't charge from my truck?

I'm having a problem getting my battery to charge up when it's hooked to my truck. When I went to raise the trailer after having been plugged into 120v all winter, it was dead. I had to plug the 120v back in to raise the tongue. This past week, before we went camping, I charged up the 12v battery (a cheap car battery because that's all I had at my disposal). We drove for 6 hours and the battery was fine for about 3 days. I decided to charge up the battery by hooking the trailer up to my truck. My brother-in-law brought over his battery/load tester and told me that there was no charge getting to the battery (it was at 10.5V and not moving). He thinks it's my truck (new to me 2006 GMC 2500 Duramax crew cab) because in his 2010 Ford F150 he had to install a fuse and a relay (that were in his glove box) to get his battery to charge. I think that it may be my trailer. What colour are the wires that lead from the 7 pin connector to the converter/charger? (I have a 1986 29' Sovereign, rear beds). I wouldn't be surprised if one of he previous owners disconnected the converter from the 7 pin connector lead. Sorry for being so long winded.

Thanks,

Rod

Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If your truck wasn't running, you aren't going to get enough current to charge your trailer's battery. Even when it is running, as when you are towing it, the charge current isn't ideal.

You do, however, risk discharging your truck's battery. That wouldn't be any fun if you were alone, would it?

ps: you didn't have to post this twice. Once is plenty, twice is too much...

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Rod,
I would recommend you get a tester that you plug into the tow vehicle 7 pin receptical. You can instantly identify whether or not current is passing through to the trailer. Also great when turn signals go out, etc. Saves a lot of time trouble shooting. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
I have the same year truck you do,
if it hasn't been done already, there is a fuse that needs to be installed in the relay box under the hood. (its in the lid) to supply the power
Check your 7 pin connector at the truck for battery voltage
I faintly remember it was the blue wire (it's been a few years and I have sometimers.
It sounds like your battery has a dead cell also, suggest you put it on a charger and check the specific gravity after a few hours
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
ebair is correct,you must add that fuse under the hood in the fuse panel,it`s a bigger fuse,I think a 30 amp. Dave
Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Ebair, and EasyRide,

Do you know which spot the 30 amp fuse goes in the fuse panel? I think I have that fuse in there but I can't be completely sure. Also, my trailer brakes worked, would this be from that same fuse?

Rod

P.S. I posted this question twice because I wasn't sure where to post it.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Look for an empty spot in your fuse panel, then look up the picture of the fuse panel in your Owner's Manual to see what that spot calls for.

If it's missing, it should be easy to spot, and you'd be better off to find it so you can make sure that fuse is good...

Also, when you say your trailer brakes worked, do you mean they just came on and stayed on? That you can tell because it will be hard to tow.

If that's the case, reverse the umbilical cord (flip the ends around). I had to mark mine with which is for the trailer and which is for the tow vehicle. No idea why the ends aren't wired the same way, but they aren't.