Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Greenwood , South Carolina
Wiring question

I'm replacing the Univolt with a WFCO converter and nowhere in my wiring diagrams does it show the two large gauge white wires dangling menacingly from the wall. Both are grouped with the 12 volt circuits and run behind the wall with them. One white wire (about the thickness of a pencil) is screwed to the aluminum wall near the univolt and the other was apparently attached to the univolt somewhere. Are these both 12 Volt ground wires?
plossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
The one screwed to the wall is grounded. The other
may be the charging wire from the TV. The charging
wire goes through the plug at the bumper all the way
to the battery for charging while towing. Both being
white leaves me unsure.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I can't imagine AS using the same colored wires for anything but the same polarity...unless a previous owner has changed some wiring around...

Sounds like both wires are 'ground'...but the only way to tell is the get out your VOM and check the polarity or check with the OHM meter setting to see if both wires are connected to 'ground'...

Ray
Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Most likely a ground wire.
The standard in the old rigs was Black = Positive and White = Negative. Because "back in the day", when they where still figuring out how to wire 12V trailers, the standard in house/building wiring is Black = Hot & White = Neutral (which is fairly close to ground). This grounding threw me for a loop (pun intended, sorry) when wiring my '63.
I dont know if or when new trailers switched over to Red = Positive, Black = Negative, but its noted that the plug at the TV uses black/white.

Then again, some previos owner might have needed to replace a large gauge wire and white was the first color on the shelf at home depot.

Best best is to get an Ohm meter, or continuity tester and the schematic for the trailer to trace out where it ends.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Greenwood , South Carolina
Thanks, guys, I'll track it down with a meter. I went out and got one at Radio Shack.
plossl is offline   Reply With Quote