Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Wiring Intelipower 9200

Hi all
Need the electricains to chime in here. I researched and read but I don't know how to wire to my new fuse panel, I am attaching fuse panel I bought from Best Converter (they were closed today) and also a diagram of my Univolt fuse panel. If someone could help as I have searched extensively. I understand where the circuits 1,2,3,4 will go but the car and trailer battery, amp meter and amp meter (red only), and trailer battery ground have me a bit flustered.
thanks in advance
James (trying to prepare for Thanksgiving Trip to Garner) Flint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Panel Web.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	71283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Univolt Fuse Panel.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	71284  

Old 11-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Apparently I can't use just the new fuse box so my plan is to pull the fuse box out of the univolt and wire the Intelipower to it. I pulled it and my plan is to simply mount it and run wire from 12v positive from intelipower to post on fuse panel and ground to ground on fuse panel. Then put wires back as they were. If anyone has any advice feel free to let me know.
thanks
Jamse
Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones View Post
Apparently I can't use just the new fuse box so my plan is to pull the fuse box out of the univolt and wire the Intelipower to it. I pulled it and my plan is to simply mount it and run wire from 12v positive from intelipower to post on fuse panel and ground to ground on fuse panel. Then put wires back as they were. If anyone has any advice feel free to let me know.
thanks
Jamse
Hi The Fintstones; Be sure to fuse both legs with 50 amp fuse or a circuit breaker. This prevents fires when polarity is accidently reversed. Same goes for shorts to ground. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
These may help, I dont think the amp meter or the shore power light will work with a new set up. I could be wrong. Robert
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Disconnect 002.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	71312   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse1 004.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	71313  

Name:	fuse1 012.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	71314  
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi The Fintstones; Be sure to fuse both legs with 50 amp fuse or a circuit breaker. This prevents fires when polarity is accidently reversed. Same goes for shorts to ground. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Thanks for the reply, how do I fuse both legs? Can you explain in simple simon language how to do this. I may have to take to the shop as obviously I'm no electrician. It seemed so easy to do until now.
James
Old 11-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Boatdoc
I was thinking, I am installing a GFI 110 plug from shore power to plug the intelipower into, isn't that the same thing?
thanks
Jamse
Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Hello, flintstone, Boatdoc is talking about an inline fuse on the + and - line between the battery terminals and the fuse panel. The pics I posted shows this with the #4 cables. The #8 is fused just for my amp for the sound system.Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones View Post
Thanks for the reply, how do I fuse both legs? Can you explain in simple simon language how to do this. I may have to take to the shop as obviously I'm no electrician. It seemed so easy to do until now.
James
Hi James;
Because most fixtures in your AS are grounded through chassis, you need to ensure that the negative side is fused in case someone mistakenly reverses battery polarity [by placing negative cable on positive terminal of the battery, and positive cable on the negative terminal].
In case, the polarity reversal [positive side of the battery will be connected directly to chassis ground which is not fused]. Your chassis then becomes the fuse by melting all wires and eventually starting a fire.

Cut both battery cables and install a 50 Amp bus type fuse or manual reset [not auto reset] circuit breakers in each battery cable. If you have two batteries you will need four fuses. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Done, I think

Well I'm finished with mine, yea!, Here are a few pics. I pulled the fuse panel from the old Univolt as the one I bought from best converter is for 20amp only and I needed two 40 amp circuits for car and trailer battery. Before I installed I hooked up everything to see if all worked and it did. Then I put a wood box together and mounted old fuse panel in it, it will also have a cover to keep moisture out. Ran positive and negative to fuse panel and ran a new positive and negative line to battery in rear compartment. Everything seems to work as it should, let me know if anyone forsees any problems. i had a heck of a time finding the 50amp inline fuses, the place I found them was a car audio store. I installed them but the intellipower has reverse polarity protection but better safe than sorry.
James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old Univolt.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	71398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Circuit Test.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	71399  

Name:	New Fuse Box.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	71400   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Intellipower.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	71401  

Old 11-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
James, glad to see you worked out your wiring. I was out in the trailer this Sunday wiring the exact setup you purchased in our Argosy. I too ran into a dead end because the fuse panel will accept only 20amp fuses. Today I went to the Auto store and purchased a 50 amp circuit breaker for the battery and a 30 amp for the tow vehicle wire. Should have it together tomorrow night. George.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Gkiesel, good luck.
I was really stressing out because I took it all apart with a trip planned at Thanksgiving. I made it much more difficult that it was. Randy at best converter was very helpful as well as the members here as usual. Looking at the Univolt after I removed it I'm suprised it worked as well as it did other than the boiling issue, it never hummed or kept us awake like we have heard here on forums.
James
Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The cart or the horse?

I'm doing the same installation as the above. I have a few questions I would greatly appreciate some advice:

1. Should I wire the Intellipower to the battery and then back to the old univolt fuse panel, or, from the Intellipower to the back of the univolt fuse panel and then to the battery (as the univolt was originally wired)? Does it matter?

2. To keep the power on light I assume I wire the black wire to the + connection on the Intellipower, right?

3. The ground conection on the bottom of the Intellipower is wired to the skin or frame, right?

4. What do I need to do to keep the ammeter function?

5. What do I need to do to keep the battery charge level function?

6. My Intellipower is 45 amps. Do I need to change the Univolot fuse panel fuses from 40 amps to 45 or 50?

7. The Intellipower will fit piggyback on the back of the old Univolt case once the Univolt guts have been removed. Any reason not to do this?

Thanks,
Marshall
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I'm doing the same installation as the above. I have a few questions I would greatly appreciate some advice:

1. Should I wire the Intellipower to the battery and then back to the old univolt fuse panel, or, from the Intellipower to the back of the univolt fuse panel and then to the battery (as the univolt was originally wired)? Does it matter?

2. To keep the power on light I assume I wire the black wire to the + connection on the Intellipower, right?

3. The ground conection on the bottom of the Intellipower is wired to the skin or frame, right?

4. What do I need to do to keep the ammeter function?

5. What do I need to do to keep the battery charge level function?

6. My Intellipower is 45 amps. Do I need to change the Univolot fuse panel fuses from 40 amps to 45 or 50?

7. The Intellipower will fit piggyback on the back of the old Univolt case once the Univolt guts have been removed. Any reason not to do this?

Thanks,
Marshall

Hi Marshall
Hope this helps but I'm no electrician. . .

1. I wired one hot to battery and the other hot from intelli to fuse panel.

2. I used original fuse panel so not sure, I read somewhere that when you wire the 110v plug, wire the "on" light to a 12v (similar to a calculator charger) and plug into 110, or you could plug a nightlight or similar into 110v.

3. Frame

4. ? used my original fuse panel so not sure

5. same answer as 4

6. No

7. why do this? i'm not sure unless space is limited or makes mounting easier or using original fuse panel?

Good luck
James
Old 01-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Unitellipower

Here it is ready to wire in. Salvaging the Univolt case supports and protects the fuse panel and wiring, still allowing access to the Intellipower.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Centennial , Colorado
Ok everyone, I need some help.... I'm replacing my burnt out Univolt out with the intellipower 9200. My wires seem to look different than everyone else's. 1st question. My intellepower has a plug.... I don't have a place to plug it in... There is a romex wire going in and seems to power the Univolt. Should I make a a plug receptacle from that romex cable to plug in the intellipower?
SNOBORDJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Centennial , Colorado
2nd question...I bought the fuse panel at the top of the page... But where would I put the 30amp (blue) wire, if the panel only has 20 amp slots?
SNOBORDJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Hi Jon. Yes use the Romex to make a receptacle. Make sure the Romex has a breaker associated with it and that the receptacle is grounded. Mine is a metal box. See post # 10 about your fuse question. G
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Wiring the converter

Here is a drawing showing how I wired my converter.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 12 volt power converter.bmp (576.1 KB, 180 views)
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
TG--thanks for your diagram. I am also not an electrician and will be instaling the Intellipower 9245 into my 1971 Overlander. I've taken pictures of the old Univolt fuse panel and will manually draw everything as I remove it. I've got a question for you TG: in your diagram, is your 'house' label, your trailer battery? Where did you get the 50 amp fuse and two position 50/30 set up? Also, how will I know what wire(s) are to my tow vehicle battery? I did rewire my tv/trailer pigtail, so I guess I could trace it back to the rear of the trailer.
Does anyone out there have a wiring diagram for my trailer? AS 1971 Overlander.
Thanks folks--I LOVE this forum!!!
Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes the "house" is the trailer battery.
I'll have to look through my receipts to find where I bought the two postition fuse holder. Try typing "2 position AGU fuse block" into your search engine. It should take you to a source.
The wire coming from your TV is probably black and it will be connected to one of the terminals in the Univolt. It will be a larger wire with a 30 or 50 amps fuse.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote