Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I know the ones you mean, they pack them with new Dremels. Those are more like little grinding wheels than cutting wheels. They're good for sharpening stuff, but really brittle. They're good for cutting wire, like bicycle spoke kind of things.

The ones that work well cutting metal are these:
Dremel 426 Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-Off Wheels 1- 1/4" Dia., .045" Thick - Dremel Accessories Steel Cutting Wheel -

They're usually hanging in a five-pack with the Dremel accessories.

I think you could probably cut just about anything with these. They do a great job on hardened chain and locks, too.

A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Gringo, that surprises me. I would have bet money that it would be a genuine PITA getting the sheet metal cut with a Dremel. I am glad it worked out for you!!!

Post Script: I am glad it didn't bet money!

Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Irvine , California
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I think others have said that the #27's will "shoehorn" into the original battery box but may be very difficult to get in and out. They are the same width, but longer than the original #24's AS supplied.

On mine, I removed the #24's and put two golf cart type 6 volt batteries in series in their place. The golf cart ones are the same size as the original #24's but about an inch and a half taller, so the top of the battery box must be raised, or the bottom lowered. I raised the top of mine with a metal C channel and it worked out well.

The original #24's had a capacity of about 75 amp hours each, 150 total for the two. Two golf cart batteries will have a capacity of about 220 amp hours. I am not sure about #27's but think they are around 95 to 100 amp hours each, or 190 to 200 total.
Trying to do this exact replacement. Do you have pics of the metal c channel installed? Thinking this is the best way to increase the height of the battery box.
rpmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
battery box photos

Here are photos of what I did. The aluminum C channel was something I had. I mitered the corners and put small L brackets inside the channel for stiffness, then attached it to the top of the battery box with sheet metal screws (or pop rivets) then attached the original top of the box to the new frame. I had some blue plastic matting which I simply put over the battery tops for slightly more protection.

The batteries are 6 volt golf cart type from Costco, about $90 each. They have the same footprint as the original type 24 that were in the trailer on delivery, but are about 1.5 inches higher.

At the top of the photo you can see the + cables, two large ones, one for the inverter, one for the main power. The orange wire goes to the electric jack. The blue wire and small white fuse is for the Tri Metric power monitor. The red and black jumper wires were the original ones used to parallel the original batteries.

The bottom of the photo shows the 100 amp shunt mounted on it's side with a short piece of twisted copper to connect to the negative side of the battery. The gray taped wires are part of the Tri Metric monitoring system. They carry virtually no current and are thus pretty small in size. I think I have a 1 amp fuse in the white fuse holder.

The two large black wires are the negatives for the main power and the inverter. One was a bit short, and that is why it runs across the battery at an angle. I would have liked 2" more cable, but it was not available and I didn't wish to extend the wire with a splice.

The battery hold down was extended with a piece of all thread.

When I disconnect the batteries for the winter, I simply remove the center red and black connecting wires, quick and simple. I don't have to mess with the shunt or positive cables that way. I leave the batteries in place all winter. They take very little charge in the spring when I return.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB 1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	227811   Click image for larger version

Name:	bb 2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	227812  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB 3.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	227813  
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I have two Grp 27 Interstates in my 2008 Classic 25fb. The are positioned sideways in the battery box. Most photos I've seen show two batteries running lengthwise or parallel to the centerline of the trailer. I was able to remove them easily enough but the center threaded hold down gets in the way a little of the rear battery. It might be a little more difficult to install the rear battery. They are 6 3/4" wide. Lifeline Grp 27 are 6.6" so they should fit the same way.

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote