Old 03-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
That's not really the point of this post. I don't know why you all need to justify your use of lead acid batteries to me.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Eco-ion

Check out Pleasureway.com that use (2) 100AH lithium batteries as std equipment on all their Sprinter chassis RVs. They use the Eco-ion product.

Looking at their videos, it looks like they use 'plug & play' type batteries in a sealed cabinet.

They claim 2000-3000 life cycles, which is many years of service for most RV users..!

With more usable amp hours, less weight, quicker recharge times & longer life cycles - these batteries will become essential for serious RV owners...IMHO...

Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I thinks I will keep my interstates and spend my monies on the flathead 59ab to put in my model A ford...
^
Smart choice....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good job, good thread.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
To make it work, you'll need a BMS (battery management system) and cell balancers, wiring upgrades, breakers and the like. If you remove those from the cost, you'll see lithiums are only a few hundred more than a say an AGM Lifeline.
Im not pro or con any battery, but this seems like a stretch to justify cost.

Basically you're saying the batteries aren't all that expensive, but you need to buy a lot of other stuff if you want them to work.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just think the need for lithiums can be justified in better ways.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Why waiting 3-5yrs for Lithium prices is wrong

"Justify"?

No.

I am just pointing out that I am neither waiting for prices to drop or not waiting for prices to drop, while also pointing out that dropping a thousand bucks (or more) on a battery system that carries with it the promise of even greater complexity while playing the role of beta tester might not be in everyones best interest.

Sorry, but the title and content of your thread invited my response. I am not waiting for prices to come down, but if they did come down A LOT, I might give the technology a try after gauging its reliability, ease of use, and practicality.

These batteries not charging well from my tow vehicles alternator is kinda a downer for my use too.

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
This is the same logic I use each year when the new iPhone comes out. It's actually a bargain considering the old one doesn't even have 3D Touch...
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Tipp City , Ohio
For me, this is a great primer on Li battery install. I'm at a complete redo of '60 Tradewind so there would not be any upgrades as nothing is there now. I guess I do have to determine the end game of the coach but your work here gives me details of this option. Thxs.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
As is the case with streaming24, our Overlander is gutted and needs everything. I'd be interested in choosing equipment that works with AGM batteries now and would be easily upgradable (no replacement of existing parts) later should we desire the Lithium batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Im not pro or con any battery, but this seems like a stretch to justify cost.

Basically you're saying the batteries aren't all that expensive, but you need to buy a lot of other stuff if you want them to work.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just think the need for lithiums can be justified in better ways.
(Bangs head on desk) But this isn't about justifying the cost. It's about explaining the price difference and why waiting for the price to come down to lead acid prices is ignoring the other pieces of the puzzle that effect the higher cost. I figured this has been clear.

I give up. I made the thread, there it is. Take it how you will.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Having used LiPo batteries for about 5 years for UAV flying vehicles the price on those batteries has remained very static and stable. For those batteries and the types of batteries for RV's/Boats etc there are only a handful of manufacturers for the base components. They are then 'packaged' by others. And if I remember correctly all are located in China.

I agree with Bold that prices are unlikely to change very much. Might even see some price increases depending on type of battery since the latest round of restrictions on air shipment of Lithiums is getting even more restrictive to the point of being banned completely.

It's great having multiple choices to help fit how we want to use our trailers. Just like there is a choice of trailers, brands, sizes, fiberglas, metal, and on and on.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
BA - Got it. The batteries are as cheap as they will ever be. However, the threshold to acquire, install and use this tech is significant and more than many folks want to tackle. Solar has the same challenge.

1) do it yourself (saves $$$s) or pay for the expertise (cost a bunch of $$$s). To do it yourself, you must assimilate the information to achieve the result. That includes the knowledge to choose the right gear, the expertise to install and the understanding to operate and identify problems as well the solutions to resolve them. Not a small task for a non technically inclined person. Impossible for those of us who are challenged to understand the AC/Heat and stereo controls.

2) fear level takes a toll as well. Seeing hover boards blazing on the afternoon and evening news is more discouragement than any sane buyer can discount even when we know the tech is different.

3) confidence in Tesla is a factor as well. They keep developing neat tech and eroding the level of the threshold. Given enough time we'll see a perpetual motion machine, but along the way there continues to be the promise of cost effective energy tech.

Time is the great equalizer, convincer, and enabler. Give us a bit, please. Pat
Old 03-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
(Bangs head on desk) But this isn't about justifying the cost. It's about explaining the price difference and why waiting for the price to come down to lead acid prices is ignoring the other pieces of the puzzle that effect the higher cost. I figured this has been clear.

I give up. I made the thread, there it is. Take it how you will.
But your post still posits a rationalization of the higher cost, which invites cost comparisons to other solutions.

Cost per charge cycle may in fact be ultimately less than lead acid - if you keep them for 3,000 cycles. I think a paraphrase could be - "yes they cost a lot more, but they probably won't get any cheaper, and anyway they're worth it."
Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
But your post still posits a rationalization of the higher cost, which invites cost comparisons to other solutions.
Bingo! Hope you didn't hurt your head, it really isn't worth getting upset over.