Old 04-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Which is Best ?

I have read a LOT of the posts..and threads, and can see no real comparisons or opinions about which converter is better than another. I have a 65 Model 22 foot Safari. I doubt I will ever need any more than 35-45 amps. But I do want clean, quiet and reliable power from a unit that will be nice to my battery. So are there any pro's / cons for the different makes / models of converters out there ? WFCO ? Intelipower ? Parallax? Progressive Dynamics ? What is the most bang for my little buck ?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Defiantly do not use a WFCO. If your lucky they last about a year. The Progressive with the Inteli Wizard is a good system to manage the batteries.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Also consider the Iota DLS with IQ4 controller. Very impressive and capable converter/charger.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I have used an Iota for years in my Jayco. It has always done a great job (I monitor it with a Trimetric). I purchased an AS last week and the first thing I did was order an Iota DLS Q4 (three stage) from Randy.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
I spoke with Randy at some length on the phone about the different options available and the pros and cons of each. and I have come to a few conclusions. 1. Randy is a SUPER nice guy and a hands down expert in his field. He has been going this for almost 15 years and knows this stuff backwards and forwards and is both willing and eager to help. 2. For my particular needs, and based on some math about my current and future amp draw the 45amp will be more than enough. 3. Based on Randy's specific recommendation I am going to order the IOTA from him very soon. While i am certain that I will have no issues at all, I will keep the forums posted.

Thanks again Randy..
Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
So just an update, more than a year now on my Iota, and I am more than satisfied so far. I will be adding a second battery soon, I will keep you posted.