Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
Where to put an inverter/charter

Hello all. I have been pondering an issue where to add a inverter/charter
I have a 25ft 2004 rear bed room the electric panel is under the bed. companies say you need to keep the inverter/charter within 5ft wire length to the batteries that in may case is on the front of the trailer appx. 22ft away.I have thought of moving the batteries under the bed but that would mean venting or using AGM batteries acid under the bed is a bit scary. I would still need a battery to run the jack. So has anyone tackled this issue and what solution did you come up with? Thanks for any input and help.
bearrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Where to put an inverter/charter

You need to locate the inverter as close to the batteries as possible. Otherwise the voltage drop you will incur will be excessive. While large wire can mitigate some of the loss.
You are better off running the 120 volts the longer distances. Smaller wire; higher voltage; lower current= less loss.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
What size and type of inverter are you using and what type of batteries do you now have? Are they wet cell or AGM? What do you intend to power with the inverter.

Also, you called it an 'inverter/charter". I assume that you mean it is an INVERTER/CHARGER. There is quite a bit of wiring required to get 12VDC battery power to the unit thru a class 'T' fuse and disconnect switch, and then having 120VAC of the proper wire gauge coming in to the unit with the same size going thru an appropriate auxiliary circuit breaker and then to your designated 'inverter outlets'. All must satisfy NEC requirements for a proper installation.

Tough to point you in the right direction without this information.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
I will be using a 2000w magnum. There is nowhere in the front of trailer to put a inverter I have two lay z boys no sofa. So I'm thinking of putting batteries under bed that would limit me to AGM batteries don't want to have leaking acid issue. I would like to limit the number of holes I have to drill in my camper. Do AGM's need venting to outside? Thanks Lewster
bearrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
A 2000 watt inverter will require some huge wire and when you factor in the length and the efficiency loss of the inverter.
You are looking at nearly 1,800 amps at 12 volts.
You could cut the wire size in half if you installed a 24 volt inverter and connected 2 12 volt batteries in series. You could center tap the battery bank to provide the 12 volts needed for the Coach.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrand View Post
I will be using a 2000w magnum. There is nowhere in the front of trailer to put a inverter I have two lay z boys no sofa. So I'm thinking of putting batteries under bed that would limit me to AGM batteries don't want to have leaking acid issue. I would like to limit the number of holes I have to drill in my camper. Do AGM's need venting to outside? Thanks Lewster
PM sent.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote