Old 12-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Warrenton , Virginia
Where to install PD4655V

Hello,
I recently purchased a used 2017 FC 19CB. It has solar from AS and was charged when put into storage. I now have no power after only a brief 2 week storage. I have an appointment at Airstream of Virginia for Dec 19 and hopefully they will get me fixed. I also expect to be taught how to store the trailer and then to activate and use it.

In reading several threads on electricals I think it wise to buy the Monitor that was recommended by several of you. My question is where would I mount this? Before I buy it I hope I will know the answer.

Progressive Dynamics PD4655V Inteli-Power 4600 Series Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard - 55 Amp

Thank you

Chris Borth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the trailer is in the shade and no shore power, two weeks to dead batteries is about how things work. Swapping out the converter charger will not have any impact on that. It's a function of the parasitic loads in the trailer. The answer is to fully disconnect the batteries if you are storing for more than a few days. The "other answer" is to come up with shore power or a spot with more sunlight.

Indeed if the use/store switch got left in the "use" position things will die quicker. There are a variety of possible odd gotchas.

If you want to play with a monitor setup, that's fine. The only type that is worth fiddling is a shunt based charge monitor. The Victron BMV-712 is one example. There are others.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Warrenton , Virginia
I take it that you are not keen on the one I listed in the title. I really don't know what I'm doing so I will back off and learn more.
It actually is parked in sunlight. I believe that the switch was in store mode but it may have been in use mode.
When you say to fully disconnect the batteries does that mean removing the terminal wires? Both batteries, both positive and negative?
Yes I am pretty naive.
Thanks
Chris Borth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Might have misread. There is only one place to install the 4655. Do you already have that installed? There is only one place to install that and I hope you have the newer VL model.
68 Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Borth View Post
I take it that you are not keen on the one I listed in the title. I really don't know what I'm doing so I will back off and learn more.
It actually is parked in sunlight. I believe that the switch was in store mode but it may have been in use mode.
When you say to fully disconnect the batteries does that mean removing the terminal wires? Both batteries, both positive and negative?
Yes I am pretty naive.
Thanks
Hi

The device you listed in the title is a converter./ charger. It replaces the existing converter charger in your trailer. To Randy's point above, it just drops in where the old one went. I've got no issue with it.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4655V...l#.XAqGDi2ZN24

You mostly talk about a monitor and that's were the BMV comes in. If you want to be able to check what's going on, you will need a monitor system.

With the trailer in full sun, the battery should not go flat. The charger / converter has nothing to do with this. It is a completely independent system and it runs through other parts of the "empire". For better or worse, there is no way to turn off the stock solar charger.

To disconnect the batteries, you need to pull all the negative leads off of both batteries. Yes, there may be a jumper between them that could stay. If you are concerned, just pull them all.

If you have an inverter in the trailer, leaving that turned on is a pretty good way to flatten the batteries ....

Bob
Old 12-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

2018 27' International
Glen Allen , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
Might have misread. There is only one place to install the 4655. Do you already have that installed? There is only one place to install that and I hope you have the newer VL model.

Not to hijack, but what is the difference in the VL versus the V model?
Vapilotda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapilotda View Post
Not to hijack, but what is the difference in the VL versus the V model?
Hi

Just to save poor Randy's tired fingers:

"The new 4600 series ending in VL incorporate new upgraded printed circuit boards with the latest components and technology. They use computerized surface mount soldering technology to insure precision and increase durability during shock and vibration. Additionally they include a jumper to change the charge profile from flooded/AGM, to Lithium should you ever change to lithium batteries in the future."

(from the link I posted earlier)

Bob
Old 12-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Just to save poor Randy's tired fingers:

"The new 4600 series ending in VL incorporate new upgraded printed circuit boards with the latest components and technology. They use computerized surface mount soldering technology to insure precision and increase durability during shock and vibration. Additionally they include a jumper to change the charge profile from flooded/AGM, to Lithium should you ever change to lithium batteries in the future."

(from the link I posted earlier)

Bob
Thanks Bob. Couldnít have said better myself
Old 12-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Disconnect negative battery terminal

The smoke detector places a neg draw on your batteries even with the store switch engaged. I disconnect the main negative on my batteries when putting the AS in storage. Recently put a disconnect switch on. Have been doing this for the last 4 years. Works fine
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Reference Photo/Drawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Borth View Post
Yes I am pretty naive.
Thanks
Given your initiation to all things Airstream I suggest you create a reference source for reconnecting any wires you disconnect. Your smart phone or a hand drawing are very useful as a reference so when you get back to camping mode you can recall how to do it correctly. FYI, disconnect a negative terminal first and reconnect this one last.

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eagle Point , Oregon
On big semi trucks a simple switch was often used to disconnect the batteries. Simple quarter turn did the trick. Can be easily mounted where easily accessible. Sorry I don't have part number but someone surely does.
1976 Sovereign 31' CB Rear Twin towed 'on the ball'.
Olscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleverett View Post
The smoke detector places a neg draw on your batteries even with the store switch engaged. I disconnect the main negative on my batteries when putting the AS in storage. Recently put a disconnect switch on. Have been doing this for the last 4 years. Works fine
That does eliminate the parasitic drain on your batteries but not prevent the self discharge of ~15% per month on flooded batteries. A little less for AGM. If you donít have AC or solar where you store your Airstream I recommend you continue this or bring the batteries home to maintain them.
Those with an AC source and a modern 4 stage converter can leave it plugged in year round but I wound not recommend it with the stock single stage Parallax converter that does not have a float/storage mode or desulfation cycle. It will over charge them almost guaranteed.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As with a lot of things that involve chemistry, things like battery self discharge usually have a temperature dependence. The pretty much un-answerable question is "how much dependence?". If you get lucky with cold batteries .... they may not discharge much at all over the winter.

So how lucky do you feel?

Bob
Old 12-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
If you donít have AC or solar where you store your Airstream I recommend you continue this or bring the batteries home to maintain them.

Those with an AC source and a modern 4 stage converter can leave it plugged in year round but I wound not recommend it with the stock single stage Parallax converter that does not have a float/storage mode or desulfation cycle. It will over charge them almost guaranteed.
The stock flooded batteries don't last long. The stock converter in many Airstreams is single stage, so it overcharges the batteries if left plugged in.

Also, in my unit the propane detector remains on even when the storage switch is turned off. It draws a small amount of power, but it's enough to drain the batteries in a matter of weeks. I don't understand why the people at AS think the detector would do any good while the camper is in storage. (nobody around to hear it go off...)

A multiple stage charger upgrade is, in my opinion, an absolute must, especially if you leave the camper plugged into shore power for more than 2 days at a time.

I remove my batteries for winter storage and maintain them with a small lightweight multi-stage battery charger. I really like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote