Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Concord , North Carolina
Exclamation Where the heck is the Power??

The power to my jack on the front comes and goes and it's also the power for the electric brakes emergency stop. It has disappeared it seems for now for good. I have the service manual and the diagrams show no feed for the brake shutdown or the power jack. Does anyone have a better diagram of a 1972 International electrical system. Hair really taking a beating on this one.
solitairenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitairenc View Post
The power to my jack on the front comes and goes and it's also the power for the electric brakes emergency stop. It has disappeared it seems for now for good. I have the service manual and the diagrams show no feed for the brake shutdown or the power jack. Does anyone have a better diagram of a 1972 International electrical system. Hair really taking a beating on this one.
Check the large fuses in the univolt.(50 amp)

Also check the fuse terminals for corrosion.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
My manual’s diagrams do not show that wiring either. But, what do you mean that the power for the electric brakes for the emergency stop has disappeared? Do you mean the 12 vdc power that feeds the emergency breakaway switch? If yes, then it's probably the same power feed that supplies the power jack.

These should be connected to the distribution panel where the umbilical cord from the TV connects. On our '72 Sovereign, that connector was in the center of the front wall, on the inside of the outer skin. It was a terminal strip screwed to the floor. Depending on what you have in the front part of your trailer, it may be underneath the sofa/gaucho/dinette under a small panel. A tad hard to get to, but the terminal strip was where the umbilical cord connected to the trailer wiring. Give that a shot and see what you can find. There should not be a fuse or anything in the power line to the breakaway switch, but you never know - a PO may have installed one. There should be fuse in the line to the power jack. If that is tapping off the line to the breakaway switch, then the fuse should be after the breakaway switch.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
I have a 1975 argosy and the following all worked and now do not ????????? They are as follows the

range hood fan
light over the sink
galley fan
fresh water pump
light in bed room
i think all these are on the same circuit and i have a blown fuse -but were ---need help looked every were !!!!!!!

All the other lights work ????
I think it is a blown fuse , but can not find the fuse panel in this 1975 argosy ?????? Any ideas ????
Thanks
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
solitairenc - I had to do some work on my 12 volt panel and at that time I was trying to figure out what fed the jack. I had this idea of rigging a hidden kill switch in the trailer as an added theft prevention measure. If I remember correctly, the power for my jack was wired into the charging wire on the wiring harness for the tow vehicle. No fuse or anything.

Gosman - The fuse panel should be near the batteries. Mine is behind the gaucho and below the front window, hidden behind a sliding tambour door and then a hinged metal door.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My 12 volt line from the tow vehicle comes in through the 7 way cord, into a 25 amp fuse and out of the fuse to a three way connection of the trailer 12 volt line, the fused VT line and the break away switch hot line. My jack is fed off that hot side of the break away circuit. The trailer 12 volt line is fused at the converter fuse panel. The other leg of the break away switch is wired directly to the brake hot wire, in addition to the TV brake wire from the 7 way plug.

My jack gets it's power from a possibility of three sources. One; from the 12 volt feed from the tow vehicle, two; from the trailer battery, or, three; from the converter. Right now I don't have a battery in the trailer but it's plugged into shore power and all the 12 volt works.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote