Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Where do these wires go?

I am going to install a PD9260 with a new fuse panel. The wires coming out of the wall to the old unit (not univolt) look like this. I think they are brown, blue, violet, white, and yellow. Are they all going to go to 20 amp fuses in the fuse panel?. Sure wish I had a wiring diregram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	159044  
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I just went out and looked at the wires on my 74 20' and my 75 22' Argosy's and the circuit colors on both (3 circuits each coach) are yellow, pink, and violet (purple). The are all about #14 wire, and are fused at 15 amps each.

White is usually negative (-) and red or sometimes black are (+) battery wires, and are larger, usually #10 wire.

Hope that helps a little.

You can take a 12 volt source such as a battery charger and connect the negative to some good ground metal in the rig, then put the + on each of the wires one at a time, and go and investigate what turns on (lights, fans, water pump etc.) as another way to test things. Just be sure your battery charger is an old style one, which has hot leads all the time. Many new ones will not turn on until they see the proper polarity and voltage of a battery.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Ok. That makes sense. Although there are no battery wires here, and no battery. I will have to add those when I put the battery in. Thanks idroba for looking it up for me. Also, do I need fuses in both + and - wires to the battery? I think my 81 Excella II had 50 amps in each leg. Maybe a good idea. I saw someone recommend breakers with auto reset instead of fuses for the battery?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
A small note: don't try and compare the color of the wires in your unit to any other unit. I hear they didn't have a standard use for each wire (i.e a purple wire always goes to front overhead light).
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Fusing the (-) is a reasonable idea and has been done on AS over the years.

I don't like automatic reset circuit breakers, nor would I recommend them. If you have an overload, they will reset, but you should not have an overloaded circuit. If you have a short, I want the circuit to open up (a fuse or reset C/B) not one which keeps trying and trying, over and over, to supply power to the shorted circuit. That is a recipe for disaster.

The only place (my opinion) they have merit is in the headlight circuits in a TV. With an occasional short, they will get you home with no replacement of a fuse, which you may not have, so you are not completely stranded. But not on your AS circuits ...
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Ok. I will do the fuses to + and - battery. Also, I have a blue wire and white wire. Another diagram for a '71 shows blue to fans and auto battery via 7 pin connector. it is also connected to a 20 amp fuse at the univolt.