Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Hadensville , Virginia
Where did the 12V wires go?

Last fall we pulled the fridge out of our 69 Sovereign airstream so that we could replace a rotted portion of the floor beneath. I remember unhooking the 12V wiring (one black, one white wire). We waited until the weather was warmer to mess with it again, so we just put the fridge back in the other day. I went to hook everything back up, gas and wiring - and I can't find the wires!!! Since we replaced the floor I'm guessing we covered them up. Ugh, I feel like an idiot! I looked at the diagrams in the owners manual to try and determine whether the wires actually do run through the floor or if its through the wall. I can't tell from the diagrams. I searched through the forums but I can't find any info on this.
Any help on where these wires come from? I just can't imagine we missed covering them up with the floor. It could just make me sick! I'm so new to all of this.

Thanks so much,
Betsy
bootsie c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Thoughts:
- If you have the old floor (unlikely?) you may be able to see if and where there was a hole that the wire came through.
- If the wire came through the floor it is unlikely that it came up through the floor fairly close to the wall, otherwise it would come through underneath the refrigerator.
- Look at the refrigerator connection and maybe guess that near that point on the floor is where the wire came through.
- If it came through the floor, then there had to be a hole, so drilling a new hole is ok, and maybe you can see the wires if you drill the hole in the right place.
- If you drill in the wrong place you could wind up with a lot of holes and still no wire.
- Someone may be able to tell you exactly where the hole should be, if there should be a hole.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsie c View Post
Last fall we pulled the fridge out of our 69 Sovereign airstream so that we could replace a rotted portion of the floor beneath. I remember unhooking the 12V wiring (one black, one white wire). We waited until the weather was warmer to mess with it again, so we just put the fridge back in the other day. I went to hook everything back up, gas and wiring - and I can't find the wires!!! Since we replaced the floor I'm guessing we covered them up. Ugh, I feel like an idiot! I looked at the diagrams in the owners manual to try and determine whether the wires actually do run through the floor or if its through the wall. I can't tell from the diagrams. I searched through the forums but I can't find any info on this.
Any help on where these wires come from? I just can't imagine we missed covering them up with the floor. It could just make me sick! I'm so new to all of this.

Thanks so much,
Betsy
As best I remember, 69 trailers did not have any 12 volt wires behind the reefer.

There was no need to have any 12 volts there, since 12 volt lights in the reefer did not come out until much later models.

Reefers back then operated on LPG or city power, only.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you had the original fridge in your trailer, it didn't have any 12 volt wires going to it. That was a feature of the newer ones with electronic boards and self-igniting pilots. If yours was a replacement, the black wire was (or should be, if standard wiring color code was used) 12v+. If you just absolutely can't find the 12v+ wire, you can run a new one down from the 12 volt power supply plug on the wall next to where the fridge goes. You can run a ground wire to almost anything metal that's attached to the skin or frame of the trailer, and be good. Just don't hook it to the LP line.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The low voltage wires at the refrigerator location in my 1976 trailer were to the thermostat located on the panel that was connected to the refrigerator facing the trailer front. I believe that thermostat serviced the air conditioner. That most likely will be found to be an irrelevant piece of information.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Hadensville , Virginia
It's not the original fridge, its one that was put in later - a Norcold. Now that I've been contemplating the situation, I've thought of another possibility.... I also replaced the wall to the left of the fridge (between it and the oven). We've never used the oven, does it need 12V? I can't imagine it would, but I'm thinking the wires may come through from behind there and I may have tucked the wires behind it while working on the floor and other things and forgotten them.
I think the game plan is to take off that wall partition and check behind the oven before looking to the floor. The vent is in the floor so it won't be that bad, I'll just have to take the hardware cloth off and then reach down and fish around.
Thanks so much for y'all reading and replying! I just hate that I have to backtrack.

Betsy
Old 05-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Hadensville , Virginia
There are wires coming through the wall behind the fridge going directly to the thermostat, but those are the only wires coming out from there.

Tags
12v