Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
ABYC has a 4 cable limit on any post or terminal block connections. More than that needs a terminal block or 2.

Also, the use of wing nuts us limited to trawling motors with a maximum cable size of 8 AWG.

Stainless flange nuts are all I use on the majority of my connections, but Lifeline AGMs and Victron lithiums use their own bolts.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
If you did not heat the lug, too, then you have a cold solder connection that eventually will be high resistance. Especially with the shaking that an Airstream gets. I hope you did not just stick the hot wire in the lug, as you said. You have to flow solder into both the hot wire and lug simultaneously.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
If you did not heat the lug, too, then you have a cold solder connection that eventually will be high resistance. Especially with the shaking that an Airstream gets. I hope you did not just stick the hot wire in the lug, as you said. You have to flow solder into both the hot wire and lug simultaneously.

Larry

Agreed Larry. I torched the lug with the solder inside, melted the solder that way and then stuck the cable in before it cooled.
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Whew!
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A proper crimp connection is much better and easier to make. Vibration eventually crystallizes solder and makes a bad joint.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #26
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
ABYC has a 4 cable limit on any post or terminal block connections. More than that needs a terminal block or 2.

Lew Farber
I have a Duracell bank. While true about 4 cables, I bet that top terminal bolt is only 1/2 way on the threads. If not less.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I have a Duracell bank. While true about 4 cables, I bet that top terminal bolt is only 1/2 way on the threads. If not less.

I'd say more like 3/4
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #28
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have my battery cables made up from welding cable and crimped on loop terminals. Works fine... just fine... the individual conductors are very small to enable flexibility... they also carry plenty current... :roll eyes:

That way I don't have to 'settle' for stock cables.. I have done this on golf carts, relocated batteries in marine and auto.. and when I have a problem with my stock wires, they will be upgraded too.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
When I make golf cart cables or other battery cables I smear lots of rosin flux on the wire and inside the terminals before crimping. Then I heat the assembly and flow solder into the terminal until I'm sure that all the flux has been displaced and the area has no space that corrosion can occupy. I try to make the copper cable one with the terminal so to speak. Then I clean off any left over flux with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. I have seen many connections that look good but are corroded inside. Checking for voltage drop or heating while heavy current flows will tell if the connections are good.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Next time you take the cables off, use an ohm meter to check the resistance in each individual cable. Should be zero-- 1 or 2 maybe. More than that, there's a connector problem.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote