Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I would call Lifeline direct and ask them about reading the date code. The old Lifeline batteries that came in my trailer from the factory have a date code of JL (since replaced). My trailer was built and delivered to me in April of 2013. I'm guessing that your date code of HO is the letter O, not the number zero for the year. This would make your batteries about 3 years newer then mine which should be correct. Again, a guess on my part is mine were made (or shipped) in October of '12, your's in August of '15.

Lifeline is easy to get ahold of and helpful on the phone.

Although I don't think your batteries are 5 years old based on my guesses with the date code, nothing would surprise me with Airstream. I paid for my factory ordered trailer to have the 16" wheel and Michelin tire upgrade. Unfortunately, after having a flat I found out that Airstream installed the older model Michelins that had been discounted several months prior to my trailer being built.

Good luck with getting this sorted out soon. Unfortunately I had a ton of problems with my trailer right after delivery but thankfully I had a dealer that bent over backwards to resolve issues quickly.

Also, if you do get the batteries covered either from Airstream or Colonial, try to have them drop shipped direct from Lifeline so you get fresh ones.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Looked at the photo again enlarged - I believe Headwest may be correct. The code seems to be HO (hotel oscar) not H0 (hotel zero). Based on some googling, that would put these as Aug 2015, which is way more reasonable.

I agree on calling Lifeline and providing the serial numbers to find out what you have.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My Interstates show 3/13 on a sticker on each battery. Why doesn't Lifeline use that easy method vs the confusing alphanumeric mumbo jumbo.

Kelvin
Old 01-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
I would call Lifeline direct and ask them about reading the date code. The old Lifeline batteries that came in my trailer from the factory have a date code of JL (since replaced). My trailer was built and delivered to me in April of 2013. I'm guessing that your date code of HO is the letter O, not the number zero for the year. This would make your batteries about 3 years newer then mine which should be correct. Again, a guess on my part is mine were made (or shipped) in October of '12, your's in August of '15.

Lifeline is easy to get ahold of and helpful on the phone.

Although I don't think your batteries are 5 years old based on my guesses with the date code, nothing would surprise me with Airstream. I paid for my factory ordered trailer to have the 16" wheel and Michelin tire upgrade. Unfortunately, after having a flat I found out that Airstream installed the older model Michelins that had been discounted several months prior to my trailer being built.

Good luck with getting this sorted out soon. Unfortunately I had a ton of problems with my trailer right after delivery but thankfully I had a dealer that bent over backwards to resolve issues quickly.

Also, if you do get the batteries covered either from Airstream or Colonial, try to have them drop shipped direct from Lifeline so you get fresh ones.
I did ask Lifeline about the date code on my batteries and my guess on the JL was correct with being October of '12. I'm again assuming therefore your's were August of '15.

Any resolve with Colonial or Airstream this week?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
So, the holiday week is over has this been resolved? I worked with 12v Deep Cycle batteries for 20 years and I have some suspicions as to how 5 year old batteries got into a new trailer.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #46
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Update

It appears that this thread has not been updated recently by the original poster. So I would like to chime in and let you know where we are at.

The Airstream may have had one or two defective batteries or could have been a combination of what was mentioned in an earlier post by the new Airstream owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsingh View Post
The breakaway switch was out/unplugged for ~18 hours. Is there something specific I should look for on the brakes before I pull out of this parking lot at the end of the weekend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsingh View Post
@tsunami: Ah, this is a good catch: I had pulled the breakaway wire and taken it with me while I was out running errands. I assumed it was a nice little way to keep someone from messing with the cord while I was away. I didn't realize it would draw down the battery -- I've put the pin back in now.

New Airstream owner,
•I've had the local battery dealers run multiple tests on the batteries. It seems that they will take a full charge but they've only got ~80% capacity according to the testing gear. At this point, I'm not sure what to do. Lifeline's telling me that they'd charge me ~$170 for each battery if I order replacements directly from them. What do you think we should do?
•I called Lifeline and confirmed that the battery manufacture code does, in fact, represent a build date of Aug 2015 so we're good to go on that front..

01/11/16

New Airstream owner,

I have spoken to David and he recommended purchasing the batteries through Lifeline for the amount you mentioned and send him the receipt and he will reimburse you for the expense, I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Patrick Botticelli
01/11/16
Old 01-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #47
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
So the OP killed his own batteries?

Maybe an apology to Colonial is in order?
Old 01-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #48
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Kind of points out the pitfalls of newbee RV ownership. There is a lot to learn and a short time to get it right before doing potential damage to the rig components. This issue was covered in our initial purchase walk through with our dealer. However, the lack of a multi-phase charge capability with the stock unit was not. They just told us the stock Interstates were junk and we would probably have to replace them. Later we learned it was appropriate to move the relay to the store position after about two hours on shore power. One good catch and one miss. Probably about par. There is a lot to cover with that initial walk through. Should be an AS video. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:00 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In some respects, watching a video before hand covering the information for the trailer would get the new owner slightly familiar with the vocabulary and what they are supposedly viewing. Then the actual walk through would reinforce the introduction video by showing the details and locations of ll the important items and proper practices based upon real world experiences that may not line up with the owners's manual.

Our first walk through with the 25FB was given by a dealership person who knew less then I did.

By the time our Classic arrived, I knew more about it than the dealer did having watched the build at the factory.

The 23D walk through was a rush job, just like the non-existent PDI, as it felt like they really did want me off the lot quickly despite a work order to fix a few of the minor issues, installing the hitch and doing sheet metal work so the larger tire and wheel would fit in the curb side front space. They made a quick bundle off me.

In some respects, it is amazing kids don't pull the safety brake pin for a vandalism prank.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #50
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Walk Through Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Kind of points out the pitfalls of newbee RV ownership. There is a lot to learn and a short time to get it right before doing potential damage to the rig components. This issue was covered in our initial purchase walk through with our dealer. However, the lack of a multi-phase charge capability with the stock unit was not. They just told us the stock Interstates were junk and we would probably have to replace them. Later we learned it was appropriate to move the relay to the store position after about two hours on shore power. One good catch and one miss. Probably about par. There is a lot to cover with that initial walk through. Should be an AS video. Pat
We do have some walk through videos for customer to watch ahead of time. This 49 minute video covers just less than 1/2 of what the hands on trailing will but it gives the customer a head start with their Airstream.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #51
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Very nice video, Patrick, thanks for sharing!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #52
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
For everyone picking up new Airstreams, also check your propane tanks. My 2015 Classic came with 2007 dated propane tanks. I had them changed at Jackson Center for new tanks dated 2015 to match my 2015 trailer. Evidently they were snuck into the batch by Worthington according to Factory Technician.
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #53
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
So the OP killed his own batteries?..........

Yep.....seems I recall reading something in the Owners Manual about not exceeding 30 seconds when activating/testing the break-away switch.

Ck @ 16:45....I'd like to think if Patrick mentions it on a VID he & the staff also make the New Streamer aware.......

Bob
Old 01-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #54
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Videos are quite helpful. Folks learn in different ways. Some folks read and learn (spec sheets and manuals). Some folks see and learn (video). Some folks have to experience the information by doing the task to get it (hands on walk through). So videos really help convey the information. Keep up the good work. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Shame on someone at the dealership for that stunt.
"Truth is more important than the facts" (?)
Some 'people' would say: "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts!"
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #56
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yep.....seems I recall reading something in the Owners Manual about not exceeding 30 seconds when activating/testing the break-away switch.

Bob
I thought Andy from Inland stated around these parts that when you remove that breakaway pin that; the brakes being electric; it will send full power to apply them. And if left unplug for long can damage the magnets and completely deplete your batteries. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 01-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Thanks Patrick for the update. I was wondering what the outcome was.