Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
what type or size battery to get, newbie, please help

i have gutted my airstream and am starting from nothing on the build. looking for advice on what battery to get size, brand, type of battery do i need to get. i just bought a prog dyn pd245 converter/charger 45amp. all that will be running off 12v will be two fantastic fans, 5 led puck lights and 2 reading lights, and water pump. i am a newbie and looking for advise of what battery to buy?? will be under the bed area in the rear of the airstream and will get a battery box for it.
Theburrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The standard battery for Airstreams is a group 27 deep cycle. That being said, there are many upgrades available, but the thing I would suggest is to not buy a new battery until you have everything else done and you're ready to go camping. Any old battery, even used, will work just fine for testing circuits while your interior is under construction.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would put in a deep cycle battery(s) that will give you at least 200 amp hours. That should be good enough to run your 12v system and a furnace for the weekend with the fridge running of propane.

That being said here are some other considerations:
-how long will you be away from shore power
-will you be using a generator(s)
-how much boondocking will you be doing
-will you have any solar power
Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Jumping in this thread, if ok...I am also newbie getting ready to replace batteries on a 2006 ccd Bambi...I do mostly boon docking, mostly four nite trips, couple of 5 nite trips. I will not be using a generator, I will not have solar power. I am mostly alone, work all day, need to shower, read a little at night, run a fridge, prepare tea in AM. I am not vacationing, more working. I stay on my venues that range from fields to parking lots in major cities. I would not need furnace as it is Summer, but would use fan if it got real hot. I have a battery box in front with two batteries, and need to get best I can for my situation. Thanks. sub
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Sbb,
Other than age, is there any reason why you are replacing the batteries? Is this size OK for you, do you need more power? Have you considered AGM (no maintainance) over wet cell batteries?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
To run 8 hours with the heater running, TV, lights etc. worse case is about 100 amp/hours. There are several marine/deep cycle batteries that fit this service factor; they all run about $250.00 or more each.
Lead acid batteries cannot be run below about 85% of voltage or the battery is ruined. Deep cycle batteries are built to minimize this problem but can still fail if discharged below this level.
The real question is: What do you really need?
My battery usage in minimul. It's only used for short periods of time as we set up. I can count on one hand the number of nights we only had the battery to run on. I just use a regular automotive battery that cost less than $100. Works for me.
How far off the grid do you plan on going? Are you going to set up a solar system? Are you going to do no power campng often? Are you going to bring a generator if you're off the grid?
I'd advise you to start with a cheap battery and see how it goes. If you trash that one, step up to the more expensive deep cycle battery. If that isn't enough you can go to a lithium battery for about $600.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If your goal is to maximize the amp-hours available, why limit yourself to just one battery? You've already said you'll buy a battery box, so get the biggest battery box you have room for, and the largest number of batteries that will fit with about an inch of air space all around inside the box for venting and dissipation of heat.

Rather than one Group 27, you might try two Group 24s (which is the standard setup in late-model Airstream Interstates, by the way).

There is a caveat, though. The batteries have to match. If you get two batteries, get two the same.

And you'll be better off with AGMs, in almost all cases, if you can afford them. They can be discharged farther without damaging the battery than a wet-cell, so you get more usable amp-hours out of the same size battery.

Even if your battery usage is minimal, there's an advantage in having the most amp-hours you've got room for. The less they're discharged before being recharged, the longer your batteries will last.