Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
What size battery to buy ???

I have an '85 Excella with the 2 battery compartments in the front with access through a door opening forward, over the "A" frame. At the moment I have 2 group 27's on board that are in need of replacing. Will my unit handle a larger group 31 battery ????? I was hoping to go just a bit larger for added battery uuuumph. I recently purchased and installed a new IOTA converter for some added peace of mind. I just don't think that I am in the market for a Lifeline battery just yet. Maybe next time. Today I stopped to check what Sears has to offer and they have both 27's and 31's in the deep cell RV batteries available.

Thanks all,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Can't comment on the size, but a pair of deep cycle Marine/RV Interstates have served me well in the past.

I installed the IOTA two Seasons ago...Great choice.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The compartments are usually rather tight for the group 27's and larger batteries just won't fit.

AGM's have a bit less energy density than wet cells. Their major advantage is usually a bit longer life, about 1.5 times (re NAWS FAQ) which usually isn't all that cost effective. The sealed aspect also isn't that big a deal if your batteries are properly maintained.

Also note that the kinds of differences in energy capacity in this selection aren't really significant in the overall scheme of things. Batteries don't hold all that much available energy to start with and have significant variance in capacity due to factors such as temperature, age, cycle to cycle variance, and use profile. (often people replace aged batteries whose capacity has decreased by almost half with a new one and then crow about how great the new one is ... be careful of such testimony!)

The IOTA web page looks to have good advice and is more accurate than some I've seen. My only concern is that it does not have a maintenance mode technique that inhibits sulfation during storage. The converters appear to be float only and that isn't the optimum for best battery life.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hephzibah , Georgia
Do you know of anywhere in your area that sells 31 group size Deka marine batteries.

If you really want to go crazy you could get an 8D tractor battery.
nti06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks all for the input. I'm not worried about long term storage since I remove the batteries and bring them home. I keep them on a tender. We don't dry camp on a regular basis but when on the road we may spend a night here and there without shore power. I would like the ability to be dry for a couple of days though if I want to leave the beaten path. When new I think the batteries would last about 4 days with only the refrigerator on. We do have access to a generator and plan to take it if we're looking to go native for awhile. At least as long as the water and storage tanks would allow.

Thanks again for sharing your experience

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
The IOTA web page looks to have good advice and is more accurate than some I've seen. My only concern is that it does not have a maintenance mode technique that inhibits sulfation during storage. The converters appear to be float only and that isn't the optimum for best battery life.
Actually it does, every 7 days.
http://iotaengineering.com/pplib/IQ4manual.pdf
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I took a closer look at my space available. I really don't think I will take a chance and attempt to exceed the group 27 size battery. If I was up to taking the trailer along and giving one a try it just might work but by my measurements it's just to close to call. So I won't attempt the larger battery. I will probably be ready next week to make the purchase.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18