Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin View Post
Just replaced my Univolt over the weekend with an Intellipower unit. I stared at the wires for a long time and then finally figured out that there was 120v going into it and 12v coming out and I'd just replicate that. As far as I could tell there were NO fuses in my Airstream at all. I put a 12V fuse panel in while I was at it. I riveted the new intellipower to the wall about where your water pump is. My water pump is on the floor in the same area and I may relocate it a foot or two away from all the electrical stuff while I'm at it. Going to drop the pan and black tank this weekend or next and have all kinds of fun fixing it up and reinstalling it. I still say the 64 GT is about the sweetest Airstream of all time. My systolic drops 30 points when I step into it for some reason. It rocks.
OH man, I hear ya! We just spent 3 nights in ours, with our Jack Russell, and I just love it. My other half even loves it.

I'm moving in the direction of taking out univolt/replacing with Intellipower, and studying the wiring. After work today, I was drawing up the wiring from the photographs, always good to understand something by drawing it! I figure I can understand what goes where and know better when to ask for help. I also want to integrate a 150 watt solar panel to run the fridge and electrical.

I was thinking about the location of the Intellipower, how to mount it more, um, securely than the Univolt is now.

Good luck with the black tank- I just installed a Nature's Head composting toilet, so our black tank will become a gray tank. Honestly, after dealing with the black tank tube, the composting toilet is hugely less gross. Post pics!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Chelsea , Michigan
Intellipower installed

Here is a photo of my new power unit. Since we boondock more than anything and despise just about any campground with power, lights, or other such stuff, I guess it's mostly just there to keep the battery feeling fresh in between trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intellipower.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	127792  

Old 04-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Ok: where did the outlet come from? Was that there already? I have the two j-boxes which I have to explore to see what/where they go. It SEEMS like it should be able to be a simple, undo, remove, replace kind of project, but those are famous last words. I'm also curious about integrating the solar... and stuff.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Chelsea , Michigan
The big box on top with the wide gauge wire going to it is just a basic 2 circuit 120v box. I don't know if that thing came with the GT or not but it's been there quite a while. It worked fine and so I just added another romex wire to feed power to the outlet box that you asked about. I just added the outlet box over the weekend and it's only there to give power to the Intellipower which comes with a plug on a wire ready to plug into an outlet. Then I took each of the four (two blue and two green for some reason) hot 12 V leads coming out of the old Univolt and made each one of them a new "circuit" in my new fuse box (yes I know there are no fuses in it yet!). The previous owner replaced the water heater and furnace but ran the power directly to the battery for those (again, no fuse protection). I made each of those a new "circuit" in my new fuse panel. With fuses installed, everything works and I don't know if I'll ever need to fuss with the goofy junction box that has toggle switches for city/battery. I figure I'll just leave them on "Battery" and we'll be good to go. Yes, I do have direct leads from the Intellipower to the battery as well so I can get all charged up. Now I just have to figure out if there's a wire someplace that will allow for charging from the car battery while enroute.
And more fun news... I found an RV place that cleaned out, adjusted, replaced LP lines, etc. on my original Dometic fridge and it's working too! Amazing GT!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Wow, thanks for the step by step, that seems within my ability. I'm going to some more sleuthing, and go grab some pics in a few minutes. It is amazing how these old rigs continue to work. I wish I had saved the fridge, it wasn't the very original one, but being avocado gold, it seemed old enough.