Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Weatherproofing battery compartment - good or bad idea?

Hi Gang
I was doing a bit of spring cleaning today and I noticed that a lot of dust and water had crept into my battery compartment during the winter. Now that I have it all cleaned out and the batteries back in, I'm thinking of putting a little rubber weather stripping around the edge of the box to create a slightly tighter seal. Is this a good or a bad idea? Any issues with battery gases etc. to be concerned with?
Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
You battery needs to be 'vented' to the outside world...don't seal up it's compartment unless you then provide a separate vent hose of some kind with the capacity to vent the hydrogen gas!

Hydrogen gas is emitted from the top of the battery through the caps or an end vent (flooded cell types) when it's being charged AND when it's being discharged...this H2 gas is then released through the vents in the battery box so it won't accumulate and be a hazard should there be any kind of 'ignition' source nearby to light it off with a really BIG bang!

Our AS has two battery compartments on the forward end of the trailer, and they too become a bit dusty over time...I have opened ours and flushed out the entire compartment with a fresh water stream from the hose...or removed the batteries as you have mentioned to do a better job AND inspect the electrolyte level in the battery, the connections, etc...probably the best way to do it - for longer battery life, safety, etc!
Old 04-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for the info! Glad I asked!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
What is the condition of the existing gasket? Inland RV, Vintage Trailer Supply and Out of Doors Mart sell the gasket material by the foor. Stick it with 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Lumatic - I think he's talking about the open boxes within the A-frame and not a weatherstripped battery compartment within the coach skin. My take is that these A-frame boxes will get wet and dusty. Yes, the paint breaks down quicker than we can start a campfire. But I think open circulation will help it dry out as quickly as possible ... the variable being whether you can put it away under a roof vs. store out in the open.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Yup, the box on the A-frame is what I meant. I'm watching the snow pile up on it again even as I type this. Will this winter ever end!!!???