Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Durham , North Carolina
Weak batteries

During my last service/inspection, batteries were filled to overflowing. I did not notice until my own inspection a month later. Noticed this problem during a 111-day trip. Decided to investigate further upon returning home.

Now, after disconnecting from shore power, the voltmeter reads 12.7 initially but settles at 12.4 an hour later. Tried this several times with the same result. The load test on each battery indicated they were still good. I decided to remove the excess water ( down to the split ring).

Have these Interstate srm-24s been permanently damaged?
Can the electrolyte be replaced?
Replace batteries and move on?
Opinions/suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Pick up (or borrow) a hygrometer and check the electrolyte. That way you will know what's going on. If bubba poured his coffee in the batteries, you have a problem. If he used DI water, they probably are fine.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
What type of "load" tester are you using? If the computer type, if it says good, they are good! I wouldn't worry about the small voltage drop above 12, I'm assuming that distilled water or electrolyte was used, overfilling is not a big deal other that the mess that it creates but it will not harm the battery.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Echoing earlier good comments --

Overfilling with distilled water was likely not a lasting problem. Specific gravity testing with hydrometer advisable.

Are you sure that the batteries were fully charged before you did your voltage testing? I would plug the trailer into shore power for a couple of days, then unplug, wait an hour, and test the voltage again. If it drops down to 12.4 right away (or lower), I would take the batteries into an Interstate store for testing, and ask for replacements under your warranty. Call the dealer also IMO.

Are you sure all your 12-volt loads are off after you unplug from shore power? Other than the propane detector, check for:

hidden storage compartment lights
stereo/radio/sub-woofers hidden
fridge humidity control switch
fridge off
inverter off and no 120 volt loads
etc.

Different AS models have various phantom loads, such as these.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Testing specific gravity is good advice.

When you're reporting the voltage, are you looking at that voltage inside on the SeeLevel meter? Or are you using a real multimeter at the battery posts? Assume the SeeLevel reads a little low until you prove otherwise. I'll see 12.65 on the Fluke at the battery posts and the SeeLevel reads 12.5. It worried me at first until I tested with the reliable meter.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote