Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #1

2006 30' Classic S/O
Cape Girardeau , Missouri
Voltage boosters

As a newbie, do I need a voltage booster and or power surge cord for my shore power line?
Gumbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure what a power booster is. You are supplying 120 AC to the trailer through he cord. Unless you have a known low voltage condition either from the Power Company, if so get them to fix it, or because of undersized wire leading to the outlet there is no reason for any type of transformer.

There is nothing in the trailer that would warrant surge protection. While plugged in at home the only thing on the AC system would be the converter. It is a regulated supply so the output voltage to the batteries is protected.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Don't worry about voltage boosters (autoformers) unless you run an A/C in an older RV park. Don't worry about surge suppressors unless you run some expensive electronics.

Do always check anything you plug your RV into for voltage and correct wiring. There are inexpensive gadgets for this.

Do look for any indication that the power plug on the pedestal suffered any heat or sparks. Check your plug after its plugged in to make sure it doesn't get warm.

Insurance is always comforting but how much you need it depends upon the neighborhoods you visit. Same with power conditioning and protection.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
People that purchase autoformers are often already victims of poor power from a park they like to frequent or live in.
I sell lots of them but don't run one if that helps.
I also know they have the ability to compensate for a park that is not willing or can't afford to upgrade their equipment so they do have a place out there.
A simple check and occasionally monitoring of the park power is usually all that's necessary.
Surge suppressors on the other hand are worth the money if you are active. If I camped 30 days per year in different parks, that is my personal cut-off where the house has the odds of taking some of your money.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote