Old 06-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Victron VE Bus Smart Dongle

Has anyone installed the Victron VE Bus Smart Dongle on the Multiplus to allow monitoring and/or control from the App? Was there anything to it? It seems a bit more involved than the dongles for the BMV or Solar controllers. Was your Multiplus firmware compatible as is or did you need to get an update?
Thank you
Larry

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Looks like it has a bunch of odd restrictions if you have another gizmo connected to the Multi. Pretty much all the control gizmos seem to need firmware upgrades. I'm quite happy with the Digital Multi Control on the Multi 2000.

https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Multi-...SABEgI-uPD_BwE

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I have that control and it is adequate but the BT device allows you to see more of what the multi is doing, on the App. This summer I am really to lazy to do any more projects but if I did not need a firmware update, I might do it later. Just looking for someone who has done it.
Larry
Old 06-25-2019, 03:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

bump
Old 06-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I have that control and it is adequate but the BT device allows you to see more of what the multi is doing, on the App. This summer I am really to lazy to do any more projects but if I did not need a firmware update, I might do it later. Just looking for someone who has done it.
Larry
Hi

The obvious question is - does the control panel qualify as a "control device" and block the function of the Bluetooth gizmo .....

Add me to the list of those who are wondering about it.

Bob
Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

No, documentation specifically says the simple control panel does not block it, the GX does. However, I have determined I have formware version 408 and it does not support below 415. I am not going to update firmware; I had a real hassle with AM Solar on the initial setup because of their .vff file and I am not going to mess with what is not broken.
Larry
Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I agree updating the software on the Multiplus is a frustrating process. I was able to do it finally but it is not a user-friendly procedure.

I am able to talk to my Multiplus via the Venus GX controller, setting parameters and such. Once itís dialed in, though, itís pretty much a set it and forget it device as long as you have the Multicontrol panel.

If you donít have a GX controller of some flavor, though, and you are using the Victron solar controller it doesnít work as optimally as you might like. For many folks it fine. In that configuration it charges in the morning and then calls it a day. I wanted it to support loads that come on line in the afternoon, like the AC, which sent me down quite the rabbit hole. Youíll need to update your firmware and have a Victron Venus or better GX controller to fix that.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Not sure what you are saying. I have the digital controller, not the GX, and it works fine for setting the limiting current or selecting charge only or inverter, but it does nothing else. My solar controller is completely independent of the Multiplus, just another input to the BMS.
Larry
Old 06-26-2019, 12:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Not sure what you are saying. I have the digital controller, not the GX, and it works fine for setting the limiting current or selecting charge only or inverter, but it does nothing else. My solar controller is completely independent of the Multiplus, just another input to the BMS.
Larry
If your solar controller is a Victron and you have lithium, with its flat discharge curve, the Victron solar controller doesnít talk to the BMS and so doesnít know when to charge the batteries in a smart way. It just wakes up in the morning and charges the batteries and turns off when theyíre charge current drops. It doesnít know to turn back on later if thereís a big demand, like AC. The GX controller does, however, because they can watch the BMS.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

You are going to have to get more tutorial, please. The sun comes up in the morning, the controller goes into bulk mode then finishes in float. Later, if you put a big load on the battery and the voltage drops, the controller returns to charge? No?

Larry
Old 06-26-2019, 06:30 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
No, documentation specifically says the simple control panel does not block it, the GX does. However, I have determined I have formware version 408 and it does not support below 415. I am not going to update firmware; I had a real hassle with AM Solar on the initial setup because of their .vff file and I am not going to mess with what is not broken.
Larry
Hi

The firmware update process is not what it should be. I say that as a person who used to write firmware for a living. They go into a bunch of yack about "pro use only" because they know just how bad their procedure is. One would *think* they would fix it .....

Indeed the issue is mainly the documentation and the lack of clear information about just what state the multi needs to be in to accept updates. Each time I do it, I intend to (but don't) write that all down on a sticker on the unit.

I went up to current level firmware when I put the control panel on the device back in April. I also updated it when the unit was new and again when I put the Venus on it. (Venus is now gone ....).

======

If you have your chargers programed to idle at about 13.5V, that's into the "well over 90% charge" range on these Lithiums. Any load that takes the line below the idle voltage will start puling current from the charger. By the time you get to 13.4V, you should be pulling full charge current. Indeed that is programable as well ....

Bob
Old 06-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

I have not updated the firmware since I installed the Multiplus at the end of 2016: it works. Victron is clear about saying that you need not update to keep the thing running as designed. I guess it is around adding stuff that leads one to update firmware, such as the BT dongle, which I can live without. I had a tough time just "remembering" how to connect to the Multi to find my firmware version. Turns out the MK2-USB had to be updated first. I have ordered a MK3-USB so I can use Victron Connect to access the Multi on my PC, easier than the original way, but of course I still have to connect the Cat5 cable that I left connected to the Multi. At least the App updates are simple, along with the concurrent updates to the BMV and Bluesolar, which are BT accessible.
Larry

Yeah, that was the way I understood the Bluesolar charge profile to work. The manual says that if voltage drops below float level for 1 minute, another charge cycle starts.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
You are going to have to get more tutorial, please. The sun comes up in the morning, the controller goes into bulk mode then finishes in float. Later, if you put a big load on the battery and the voltage drops, the controller returns to charge? No?

Larry
With conventional batteries the solar controller works like youíd expect because it only has to measure voltage.

With Lithium the voltage doesnít drop dramatically for much of the discharge. The solar controller would need to talk to the BMS to make decisions about when to start charging again since the BMS is the thing keeping tract of the current flow. Sadly Victronís SmartSolar controller and BMS donít talk to one another directly. I had to add the Venus GX to the system to make that work.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

That still surprises me. The float level of the Bluesolar is 13.6 or so. While clearly LiFePO4 batteries maintain a flat profile with discharge, the nominal voltage of the battery is 12.8, it only has to drop below float level for 1 minute to start another charge cycle. Next time I am in my trailer I am going to play with that a bit and watch the voltage on my phone.
Larry