Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
Victron install ?

I'm replacing the the converter with a PD 4655 and installing a Victron Battery Monitor can I install the stint behind the converter by intercepting the negative cable there or does it need to be installed closer to the batteries, thinking it wouldn't really matter but then I didn't stay at Holiday inn express last night neither.
Thanks
Old 06-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

My understanding is that all the current integrating battery monitors are pretty similar. The shunt needs to go in the negative lead of the battery. It does not much matter *where* the shunt is mounted as long as it goes from ground (chassis) to *only* the battery negative. In most cases that means you mount it up in the battery box. That's usually the place the battery is tied to the chassis.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
That's right, on the negative side between the battery and the chassis ground. You don't want any other ground connections between the battery and the shunt, but other connections between the shunt and chassis ground are fine. --Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
Well poop dealer installed the victron behind the converter so I'll have to change its location??, I'm assuming it will give inaccurate readings??
Old 06-09-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
Well poop dealer installed the victron behind the converter so I'll have to change its location??, I'm assuming it will give inaccurate readings??
Hi

The only thing that needs to go at the battery is the shunt. The box that it connects to can go anywhere. If the shunt is at the converter then yes you will have to move it. If you do not move it the setup will be useless.

Bob
Old 06-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Most 'mechanical' shunts can be mounted anywhere....even outside on or near the battery box to allow the negative battery terminal a better connection point. Blue Sea Systems, TriMetric, Magnum and others use this style of shunt for the battery monitors.

Victron's shunts are electronic and CAN NOT BE EXPOSED TO WEATHER, requiring them to be mounted inside the rig. In addition, since Airstream cross wires the house DC positive to the positive #1 battery terminal and the inverter positive (assuming you have an inverter) to #2 battery terminal, you will also need to place BOTH of those negative cables on the load side of the shunt to get complete readings.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:18 PM   #7
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Most 'mechanical' shunts can be mounted anywhere....even outside on or near the battery box to allow the negative battery terminal a better connection point. Blue Sea Systems, TriMetric, Magnum and others use this style of shunt for the battery monitors.

Victron's shunts are electronic and CAN NOT BE EXPOSED TO WEATHER, requiring them to be mounted inside the rig. In addition, since Airstream cross wires the house DC positive to the positive #1 battery terminal and the inverter positive (assuming you have an inverter) to #2 battery terminal, you will also need to place BOTH of those negative cables on the load side of the shunt to get complete readings.
Well I do have an inverter so I'm guessing that having the shunt wired to the negative behind/coming into the inverter is not going to give accurate readings??? How inaccurate will it be or it's just plain not going to work worth a hoot I'm very and I mean very green at this plus electric and me seem to not to play well together
Old 06-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Well I do have an inverter so I'm guessing that having the shunt wired to the negative behind/coming into the inverter is not going to give accurate readings??? How inaccurate will it be or it's just plain not going to work worth a hoot I'm very and I mean very green at this plus electric and me seem to not to play well together
Hi

Unless the shunt is properly wired to the battery the readings you get are going to pretty much be total junk. The monitor works by measuring everything that goes into the battery and everything that comes out. Any current that goes astray totally messes up the calculations.

Bob
Old 06-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
A single cable from your battery negative leading to the shunt and then all of your negative loads (inverter, grounds, etc) connected to the other side of the shunt. This will assure that all of your shunt readings will be accounting for all of the draw on the battery.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the setup was installed by a dealer, and you paid him for the install ... he owes you a fix. From your description, he did it wrong and should correct his error.

Bob