Old 05-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Victron BMV 712 in battery box

I am upgrading my batteries to two 6v golf cart batteries i am adding the Victron battery monitor the one with the bluetooth. My question is...since i will be able to see all the data on my iPhone i would like to just put the Victron in a (i think it's called) a electronic project box (the white water proof box you can get at home depot) and keep it in the battery box. Not deal with running the cable into the AS. Has anyone done that. Will it be to hot in the battery box for it? I was just wanting to not have to deal with having to run the cable and all that stuff since i don't plan to look at the controller, just my iPhone. Any advice will do. I am just trying to be as minimal as possible for the instal. Just thought i could save many many many hours trying to do that vs just securing it in the battery box.

thanks
Brad

Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Not sure how you would find room for the project box, the shunt and the wiring in the existing battery box.
Larry

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Edmonton , Alberta
I wouldn't, even if you did manage to get it all stuffed in there. Just installed one myself the last few days and could see that the shunt nor the display is even close to weather resistant. A waterproof box hardly ever is.
jimro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimro View Post
I wouldn't, even if you did manage to get it all stuffed in there. Just installed one myself the last few days and could see that the shunt nor the display is even close to weather resistant. A waterproof box hardly ever is.
Consider mounting inside the propane cover?
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
thank you i guess i didn't realize the shunt needs to be inside the AS as well I thought that was in the battery box as well. Uggggg this is not going to be fun.....

On that note where should i put the shunt in my 2019 23' FB. any suggestions?
Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
place it inside. where is dry

ours is under the bed close to the lion battery
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I made a circular hole in the distribution box just inside the front storage area for the display. The shunt is in the distribution box.

While it is visible, I never look at it. Everything I need to know is on the cell phone app.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My first monitor was a Trimetric. I installed the shunt inside the battery box, fabricating some bus bar out of flattened copper pipe. I ran the wires from the shunt into the front of the trailer in the underneath penetrations and continued to the nearest cabinet for the monitor.
You could do something similar although I am unfamiliar with the layout of your 23, but the monitor could go anywhere inside since you have BT. The only difficulty I had was that Airstream uses pretty tough sealant on those penetrations underneath and it took some work to get a hole large enough for the cable to the monitor. Still, it was not that hard of a job. The shunt fit fine in the battery box.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Sun Lakes , Arizona
Hi, I did place a Victron 702 and Bluetooth dongle in a battery box 3 years ago. I opted for a SockitBox over the white project box you mentioned. SockitBoxes are used to submerge pumps in ponds and other commercial or backyard water projects. I bought mine from Amazon but a Google search also shows Home Depot as carrying them. Worked like a charm. I loved Bluetooth access. Never once did I miss pressing the buttons on the physical BMV. All that I needed was in the app.

I plan on doing the same on my new 2019 FC 30 RBT except this time with a 712 with a temperature sensor bundled. As you know the 712 has Bluetooth built in which is great. The cord on the old dongle took up a lot of room in my SockitBox :-) I chose the temperature bundle since I will have Lithium batteries for the first time and want to see the temperature via Bluetooth. We aim for “fair weather” boondocking and camping for six months but sometimes mountain weather can be unpredictable.

I have not done the new install yet but when I do I’ll try to find this thread and post a picture or two. Should be in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck on your project! Please post your final choice and let us know how it works!
200 Ah Lion Energy Batteries & 230 W Zamp Portable Solar
3 Generations Traveling Together
Changing Itinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just run it indoors. That's what it is designed for. The cable required is not all that hard to run.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing Itinerary View Post
Hi, I did place a Victron 702 and Bluetooth dongle in a battery box 3 years ago. I opted for a SockitBox over the white project box you mentioned. SockitBoxes are used to submerge pumps in ponds and other commercial or backyard water projects. I bought mine from Amazon but a Google search also shows Home Depot as carrying them. Worked like a charm. I loved Bluetooth access. Never once did I miss pressing the buttons on the physical BMV. All that I needed was in the app.
What size Sockitbox did you use?

I intend to mount my 712 shunt and head in the battery box of our 2019 AS FC 28RB. We have the deep box and the stock Interstate batteries, eventually we will have full solar with lithium, but for now I’d like to manage our power usage whenboondocking.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you put both the shunt and the 712 head inside a box and put that inside the battery box, it is highly unlikely you will be able to connect with it via bluetooth. The radio waves do not go through metal ......

Bob
Old 09-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Yes. Faraday's law has not been repealed. I just stuck a piece of stiff wire through where the battery cables came in via a grommet, taped the red wire onto it and pulled it through. Plenty of room to do it. I used a piece of bicycle tire as an extra layer of protection going through the hole into the battery box. I connected the lug directly to the battery cable. Easy peasy. The shunt is under the bed. Just cut the cables and spliced it in using a cable crimper and some new ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you put both the shunt and the 712 head inside a box and put that inside the battery box, it is highly unlikely you will be able to connect with it via bluetooth. The radio waves do not go through metal ......

Bob
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I did not have to go to any great lengths to get any of the cables where they needed to go. Everything fit fine through the existing holes.

Bob
Old 09-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #15
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
You'll want it inside.

I chose to put my solar gear inside the front storage compartment, and I put the shunt inside the electrical panel. It aint' pretty, but it's better than what was there originally.

Here's a video of my install. The battery monitor part is about 2/3 of the way in...

https://youtu.be/FjmLanPtXaQ

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I have my shunt in the battery box. I have the control head inside attached to my couch by the propane sensor. I ran the wires into the cabin along with the elect cables from the battery box so no new holes. My couch is in the front near the battery box so that simplified running wires.

I did design and add a battery box extension to make room for bigger batteries and the shunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23A34583-249C-412A-B1E9-EA8F92355468.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	352647  
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
I finished my temp install (for the next year or so before upgrading our batteries). Shunt in a waterproof box in the battery box. The control head is in a plastic Tupperware container (screw top) in the propane storage. I would have put it all in the battery box, but there wasn’t room for the control head. I don’t need much range for BT, while the signal would have been attenuated, it would have been fine for my use (I’m an extra class ham, the current solar cycle is attenuating all signals right now :-)

Eventually, the control head will be routed inside, under the front sofa. We have a little over two years left on the warranty, I’m not punching any holes until then (there wasn’t enough room by the existing cables out front).
Old 09-28-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
I have my shunt in the battery box. I have the control head inside attached to my couch by the propane sensor. I ran the wires into the cabin along with the elect cables from the battery box so no new holes. My couch is in the front near the battery box so that simplified running wires.

I did design and add a battery box extension to make room for bigger batteries and the shunt.
Did you waterproof your battery box? It looks like your shunt can get wet there.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Water is not the only issue "out in the open". Salt and other "road stuff" are not at all compatible with the exposed circuits on the shunt assembly. As they corrode away, things will get less and less accurate. It's not going to happen all in a day / week / month. It will happen in a year or three (depending a lot on how much you travel). A shunt in a battery box on a trailer that spends 51 weeks a year in indoor heated storage will indeed last for quite a while ....

Bob