Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Victron Battery Monitor Install

Just installed the Victron monitor BMV-702 in my 2026 (23) International..

Now if I figure out what it all means. It reads about seven different items including temp of battery. If I had to justify the expense it probably a questionable upgrade but doing it myself was kind of fun.

I think it even told me to mow the lawn (or was that my wife)

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
You will learn to depend on it for your true battery state. Because your load varies on your batteries reading the voltage only won't give a true state of charge. The Victron will count amps in and amps out giving a more accurate SOC. It is important to know when to charge the batteries. If the parameters are set up properly based on current use it will give a pretty good estimate to time to recharge.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Probably one of the most useful and overlooked items one can add to their RV. I'm sure there would be a lot less chatter about battery maintenance and longevity if folks installed a monitor.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Redmond , Washington
Victron makes a Bluetooth module that lets you configure the BMV from your smart phone and monitor your batteries as well.
Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I have now doubt it will tell you what you need to know about your batteries but it and the Xantrex Link we passed on early because of the installation for DIYers is borderline brain damage RV techs with experience installing and programming them generally have no problem but the Trimetric 2030RV is so user friendly anybody can do it. New ones have data logging that some really enjoy as well.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Can you provide details / photos of the install? How did you choose to run the control cable from the battery box to the display unit?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Scroll down to the bottom where the photos are. Nothing has really changed much with the newer units. I think this is the older 2020 but it's the same.

http://www.bestconverter.com/TriMetr...itor_c_66.html
Old 08-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Victron Battery Monitor

On my trailer the electronics are all under the head of the bed where I installed the shunt. From there I ran the control cable under the closet and into the upper cabinet where I mounted the control monitor.

It is easy to install but cumbersome to configure and the manual leaves a lot to be desired. You can download it from Victron energy.

In my trailer I have limited room for a monitor thus my choice of the Victron over the trimetic. When you compare costs they are about the same.

Dave
Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I see - so you installed the shunt inside the trailer at the positive BUS, rather than in the battery box itself?
Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I see - so you installed the shunt inside the trailer at the positive BUS, rather than in the battery box itself?
You can place the shunt anywhere near the batteries, preferably inside protected from the elements. Some make a box if it must be outside. Should be within 18 inches but as close to the battery as possible. Mine is on the back of the battery box.

You might be referring to Dave. If so disregard.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Victron Battery Monitor

Yes I installed it inside the trailer. It was within the 18" that it is supposed to be. The shunt is not supposed to be in an area that can get water. If you had to install it on the battery box I suppose you could get a waterproof box to install it in. The shunt is wired on the negative side.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 08-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #12
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Do you lose the battery temperature measurement/accuracy of its not co-located with the battery?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Victron Battery Monitor

The temperature sensor is mounted to the positive battery post and wired to the shunt.

Dave
Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
The temperature sensor is mounted to the positive battery post and wired to the shunt.

Dave
I'd like to know what the sensor looks like on that model. Truthfully you will not live long enough to realize much from temp monitoring but I would at least have it mounted to the actual battery case where it can read actual temperature of the battery, not some metal post above it. If its just a temperature probe, (remember it doesn't know what it's mounted to) it's no different than the one you use at home to measure temp inside from outside. Its just a thermometer that feeds the info back to the magic 8 ball.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Since Victron's shunt contains an electronics board, they MUST be mounted in a water proof location, unlike the shunts that Blue Sky and Bogart Engineering use in their battery monitors which can be placed outside exposed to the elements.

Also, the temperature probe is bolted directly to a positive battery terminal and the 2 wires coming from it are connected into the appropriate ports located on the Victron shunt so it will read the true cell temperatures at that battery post. This data is visible on the BMV-702 remote, which is located anywhere inside your RV via the data cable.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Hey Lew, how does it measure direct cell temp mounted on the battery post? That would be interesting.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
Hey Lew, how does it measure direct cell temp mounted on the battery post? That would be interesting.
Temperature is measured using a Thermistor, see link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor

basically as temperature changes so does resistance.

Although Victron's shunt needs to be out of the elements I think it has some other advantages, the temperature sensor connects to the shunt and the shunt is connected between the negative side and your load. Then you run a single commonly available ethernet cable back to your BMV-702.
Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Yep. Sure does.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Based on the size of the metal mass connected to the cell under the positive terminal, the temperature at the post should be close enough to the cell temperature. There's a lot of metal there.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Victron Energy

Here is a link with picture of the temp sensor.

http://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy-...or_p_2812.html

Dave