Old 08-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
In my system I have pos / neg leads that go into the trailer for 12v power (from the factory), and a second (aftermarket) set of pos / neg cables connected directly to the battery terminals that feed directly into my 1500w inverter.

Would I need to re-route both negative feeds through the shunt or could I leave the inverter directly connected to the battery and still gain accurate measurements by only passing the factory neg feed through the shunt?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Nope. ALL negative loads (and especially the inverter negative) should attach to the down stream side of the shunt or your usage readings will not be accurate.

Lew Farber

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:34 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Thanks Lew! Got me some re-wiring to do if I deploy the battery monitor (my mppt 100/50 arrived today
Old 09-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Shunt & Monitor Location

Where did you install the Shunt? In a battery compartment? Where was the monitor installed?

I have purchased one and was wondering how and where you installed the two components.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Just installed the Victron monitor BMV-702 in my 2026 (23) International..

Now if I figure out what it all means. It reads about seven different items including temp of battery. If I had to justify the expense it probably a questionable upgrade but doing it myself was kind of fun.

I think it even told me to mow the lawn (or was that my wife)

Dave
Old 09-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
San Marcos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfarch View Post
Where did you install the Shunt? In a battery compartment? Where was the monitor installed?

I have purchased one and was wondering how and where you installed the two components.

Thanks,
A 2" hole saw makes the perfect size hole for the monitor, I installed mine in the kitchen cabinet next to my lounge. Because I had the Bluetooth module I mounted mine out of the way.

I have an '16 International 28', the battery wiring enters the trailer right behind the battery box you'll find a piece of plywood with the DC fuse to the inverter, battery disconnect relay and a couple busbars. I was able to put the shunt there.

As Lew says ALL negative loads should be attached to the "Load" side of the shunt, see image below.

http://m0.i.pbase.com/g1/84/622984/2...0.4yhkQpdJ.jpg
Old 09-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
If you re read this forum I think it will be clear. Shunt in a dry location close to the battery box. Monitor where you want it. You just have to figure out how to run the cable. Each trailer is different. You just have to figure where you can route the wire out of sight.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 09-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Monitor Location

You are just using the iphone app instead of the monitor display?

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
I also installed the 702 with bluetooth, and love it. Also have Victron MPPT with bluetooth, love it as well. I use the iphone app almost exclusively, have not hard mounted the 702 just yet.. can't decide on the final spot to cut a hole
Old 09-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgieselman View Post
A 2" hole saw makes the perfect size hole for the monitor, I installed mine in the kitchen cabinet next to my lounge. Because I had the Bluetooth module I mounted mine out of the way.

I have an '16 International 28', the battery wiring enters the trailer right behind the battery box you'll find a piece of plywood with the DC fuse to the inverter, battery disconnect relay and a couple busbars. I was able to put the shunt there.

As Lew says ALL negative loads should be attached to the "Load" side of the shunt, see image below.

http://m0.i.pbase.com/g1/84/622984/2...0.4yhkQpdJ.jpg
Thanks, very much.

Craig
Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
BV-700 Installation 23FB Flying Cloud

I install the BMV-700 in an small aluminum case "stick in" with Velcro in the Curb side cabinet.
The Blue Tooth Dongle is located under in the area aside to the Sony receiver/player.
The control cable (in a white tubing) is run at the top of the upper cabinets up to the closet and then down to the area under the bed where is locate the DC wiring and my 600W inverter.
This installation takes roughly 4 hours to perform.
See pictures.
Victron's BMV-700 is a great product! Every Airstream should have one of these! No more guess about battery SOC and autonomy.

With my 95 W roof solar panel and portable 90 W one, I am OK to enjoy camping with no shore connection.
This summer I experience one week without any service in Pinery Provincial Park (Ontario) on Huron Lake and I bring with me an additional 100AH deep cycle battery that I put in parallel with my 2 Group 24 ones. In a partial shaded location with some cloudy days, the batteries SOC never go lower to 85% using without restriction TV, cel, tablet charging and hair dryer for my wife.
The hair dryer is a 120/240 V dual voltage. I put the voltage selector to 240 V.
Used power is 325 watts, perfect for my 600 W inverter!
Michel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4105.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	270767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4097.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	270768  

Name:	IMG_4096.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	270769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG3410.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	270770  

Old 09-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
A little off topic but a hair dryer question. My wife's hair dryer shows 1875w on the specs. It has a 120/240 selector on the handle. Are you saying with the voltage set to 240 you can run the hair dryer and watts decrease but the heat is the same as at running 120v setting? We are getting a 1000w inverter installed soon (Magnum 1012) and Lifeline 6v and figured the hair dryer was a no go with the inverter.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Wattage is a constant but amperage changes with the voltage. As voltage increases, amperage decreases proportionally.

Still, you can't use an 1800 watt appliance on an inverter rated for 1000 watts and you don't have 240VAC available in the trailer unless you have 50 amp service and dedicate a single outlet to be wired for 240VAC.

The magnum is 120 VAC ONLY!!!!

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Hair dryer clarification

Sorry to disturb the essence of this tread!
I add this comment to illustrate my usage of this hair dryer plug to my 600 W inverter.
The hair dryer that I use (see picture) have a Power Selector (Low and High) selector and a “Voltage Selector” at the bottom of the handle.
It is rated at 1600 Watts @ 125/250 Volts AC.
The Voltage Selector is a rotary flat blade slot. This is a simple internal level in the handle level to prevent the Power Selector to be slide at the High position.
Internally this hair dryer is made with 2 power resistors (± 12 ohms and ± 35 ohms) in series. The Power Hi-Low selector simply shorts the 35 ohms resistor.
At 118 volts: in Low position the draw power of the device is ± 350 Watts (see pictures); in High position it is ± 1100 watts.
I rotate the Voltage Selector to “250 Volts” to use it only at Low and prevent accidental usage at High position.
I may strongly suggest to proceed to power measurements with at Watt Meter on a regular AC outlet prior to attempt any connection to an inverter. Each hair dryer have the same look but we do not know the way they are internally wired! Do not take any risk to damage your inverter!
Michel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4112.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	270965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4115.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	270966  

Name:	IMG_4118.jpg
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	270967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4120.jpg
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	270968  

Old 09-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfarch View Post
You are just using the iphone app instead of the monitor display?

Craig
Yes, for now. But I plan to mount it just as Papou did in his pics - in the cabinet above the kitchen, in my case (up top, out of the way). If I get brave, I will cut a hole in the outside of the cabinet near the door. But I just use the app to check on everything before going to bed or after waking up, as I am in bed. I really do love the app.

I can even check on the MPPT and batteries while on the road, and can see the amps change in real time as the road curves relative to the sun.. Nice to see everything topping off on long trips as you go to your next destination.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #42
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
I really don't want to cut a hole in my brand new 19 ft flying cloud
Can you order this unit with just the Bluetooth capability and not the display?