Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Question Victron 702 install - can I (do I want to) do this?

Hi all,

After swapping out my charger controller for a PD 4655, I'm feeling a little confidence and interest in taking on the next task - installing a Victron battery monitor. Today I began looking around the trailer and find myself feeling a little overwhelmed. Although I understand the principles of the install (all negative leads tie in upstream of the shunt) the cable madness in the trailer freaks me out. Here are my initial questions (with some pictures in links)

1. I assume I do not need to worry about getting the jack's lead to the shunt, right? That seems like a pain to bring back into the trailer

2. I have leads coming to the battery from the curb side - not sure what they are. I assume I need to route these leads to the street side - not sure how to do this. Picture below.

3. Under the street side dinette, I have an electrical mess that AS left. Putting the new power post in here and figuring out what goes where through this little opening seems maddening. Will I need to disassemble the dinette bench a bit to do this? Picture Below.

4. If I were to bring this to my AS dealer, what do you think they'd charge to get it installed? I don't care where the display is (or at least not much) since I plan on using the Bluetooth app (dongle purchased) for readings.

Thanks so much for any help,
Adam

Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
I have a 23FB so mine was a little different. But I did not touch the power lead for the jack.

You need a new negative cable from the battery to a dry location where you mount the shunt. All negative leads that were previously on the battery hook to the shunt.

I can't tell you what your dealer might charge but most charge about 100 to 125 an hour. I would guess about 3 hours labor plus parts.

Most any rv repair places should be able to do this. I would shop around.

Dave

Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Streetside wires, anyone?

Thanks for the info, Dave.

Does anyone with a 25RB have any idea what the curb side leads are going to? The only thing I can imagine is that they are coming from the solar, but the controller is mounted above lounge on the street side, so that doesn't make any sense.

Adam