Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cheyenne , California
Upgrading dc panel on the 1977 airstream, need some help

So I am t ting to figure out my wiring plan as I upgrade panels.

Pictures for reference.
Original panels
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	280693

Name:	IMG_1268.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	280694

1977 manual diagram that shows setup for 2 batteries I've marked out the spots for battery 1 as my panel only uses battery 2 positions.

Name:	IMG_1440.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	280695

Parallax 12 position panel

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	280696

Wiring plan so far. Updating in a minute.
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Cheyenne , California
Couldn't get post to update again so here is my wiring plan and questions.
So the left most panel is all tow vehicle wiring a b c d and will be wired into x y z aa using inline fuses. That seems straight forward.

E is the power on light that was my boy for the university vol so that will be discarded.

The middle school panel f g h I k and any new lines I need will be wired into the terminals on the new panel. Again fairly straightforward.

Now getting to where I start to have some uncertainty the right side of the panel.

M battery positive will go to 1 of the 3 big dc Inputs on the new panel. Does this need an inline fuse between the battery and panel? If so how do I replicate the connection with s ( jack/hoist) and t (main 22 v charge)which have their own 20 and 30 amp boxes/fuse? Does T go to the dc input terminal?

All the white ground wires under U will be wired to the ground bus terminals on the new panel. Negative battery and converter lines and whatever tow and dc output negatives I may have

Positive converter line goes into large dc input terminal. Do I use an in line fuse on it as well?

Finally, I think, what about the ammeter lines? Now I'm using the original control panel but am replacing it with a seelevel tank monitor system model 709-ph. Do I need these ammeter lines or not? If not does the monitor measure the battery voltage through its dc power line coming from a new line on the parallax panel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote

« PWM vs MPPT | Top | Pd 4045 »