Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Upgrades on new unit

Looking into ordering a 23fb and would like some impute. Upgrades include,
"Convection Microwave Upgrade, Solar Charging System, Window Awning Package, & 600W Inverter System. Why would I want a 600 w Inverter System? Anyone know the difference of regular awning and awning upgrade? Any help would be great help, thanks.
Shiny Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
A 600 watt inverter will allow you to operate and charge up electronic devices (tv, dvd player, computer, cell phones, etc) from your battery power. This is needed when you are not connected to shore power or a generator.

Are disc brakes an option, and if so how much are they? I would seriously look into ordering these due to the improvement in braking and lower maintenance costs, but I am somewhat concerned about the reliability of disc brake system. Autos have gone to disc brakes; why not trailers, especially high end Airstream?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
The Inverter would be nice if you were boondocking without a generator, and the awning upgrade adds two additional awnings especially helpful in shading the trailer on sunny days.
wilkeytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Smile

Disc brakes where not given as an option. I will check into that when we call back. I read the manual on line and was not sure if we need an inverter, but it sounds like a good option. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeytn View Post
The Inverter would be nice if you were boondocking without a generator, and the awning upgrade adds two additional awnings especially helpful in shading the trailer on sunny days.
Do you have the awning upgrade? We will be traveling quite a bite between California and North Carolina and I know summers can be quite hot in between. Do you feel they are worth while if you have them. Thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Disc brakes were installed on Airstream Classics in recent year but were troublesome, and discontinued. Solar charging and inverter work well together and are a nice factory installation giving you computer charging and television/bluray. The extra awnings are window awnings on the road side and back window.

Expensive stuff $5-6K which would nearly upgrade you to a 25FB, a much larger, more livable trailer with larger tires, brakes, and tank capacity, and tows just as easily.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Doug is rite....5-6 thou extra is a lot to pay for those up-grades.
Some of which you could easily do yourself, save some money and control the quality of the install.

Bob
Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
One upgrade that AS should make available is a better battery solution. Two golf cart batteries in series gives a great improvement in boondocking electrical capacity, but AS keeps installing one or two #24 or # 27 batteries with compartments too small to change to the somewhat larger (taller) golf cart size. I have never understood why, for years, they have stuck with the too small battery solution and never even considered that anyone might want more. At least they should offer it as an option.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote