Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Smile Upgraded 12V system

One of my OE batteries died last summer so it was time to do the upgrades I have always wanted to do. Read "Managing 12 Volts", surfed the web and generally refreshed my knowledge of 12 v systems but didn't know exactly how to proceed. I called Randy at Bestconvter.com to discuss my options. His recommendations made a lot of sense to I placed the order. Now, two months later, I am a happy man. Here is what I installed:

Two new 12v AGM batteries from Lifeline ( GPL-31XT )
Powermax PM4B-75 amp 4 stage charger/converter
Trimetric 2025RV Battery System Monitor

Removing the sofa in the front of the trailer was not difficult and once done, I had easy, full access to everything. Just a matter of removing the old charger and placing the new one. Plenty of room. Mounting the shunt and wiring the Trimetric was a breeze. Fortunately, the wiring at 6 gauge was hefty enough for my needs so I didn't have to rewire. The two new batteries just fit in the battery compartments at the front of the trailer.

I now have about twice the usable reserve capacity compared to the original Interstate hybrid batteries with quicker charging too.

Love it. Really appreciated Randy at Bestconverter's help in selecting equipment too.
vwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Good for you !!. I just upgraded to same battery & converter/charger. Not sure if I need the Trimetric 2025RV since I don't have the Solar charging system. Whats the advantage of the 75amp charger over the 60amps apart from charging rate/time ?. Post installation pictures if you can. Appreciate.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
No real advantage with the 75 amp except for a little faster charge. I wanted this for when I am charging with the Honda up to about the 80% mark. Maybe a little shorter run time on the Honda.
I plan on using the Tri-metric when dry camping to help make sure I don't discharge too much below the 50% mark before firing up the Honda.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by F450Harley View Post
Good for you !!. I just upgraded to same battery & converter/charger. Not sure if I need the Trimetric 2025RV since I don't have the Solar charging system. Whats the advantage of the 75amp charger over the 60amps apart from charging rate/time ?. Post installation pictures if you can. Appreciate.
The Trimetric uses a shunt to determine charge and discharge current from any source, not just solar. A battery monitor like the Trimetric is a big help in knowing when to charge and avoiding the damaging deep discharges.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Thanks all.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Trimetric 2025RV Installation in AS Classic

The 2 amp (fast blow) fuse + wire that goes to the positive battery terminal ?
Did anyone drill a hole through the battery plastic enclosure to get to the battery positive terminal and silicon the hole after. How did you route yours ? The wire got to pass from inside the trailer to the battery outside behind the propane tanks.

2) To get readings from both batteries, do I connect this + trimetric wire coming from the monitor to the road side battery or the curb side ?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by F450Harley View Post
The 2 amp (fast blow) fuse + wire that goes to the positive battery terminal ? Did anyone drill a hole through the battery plastic enclosure to get to the battery positive terminal and silicon the hole after. How did you route yours ? The wire got to pass from inside the trailer to the battery outside behind the propane tanks. 2) To get readings from both batteries, do I connect this + trimetric wire coming from the monitor to the road side battery or the curb side ?
I believe I connected to a common pos post...one that receives a red wire from each bat pos terminal. Unfortunately, it's all covered up. I will try and see when I am out at the trailer next.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
That red wire with the fuse can be fed from either battery positive, does not matter. But, be sure that you installed the shunt properly and you rewired the batteries so that all of the current, on the negative side, flows through the shunt.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v