Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Upgrade this blue box with what??

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I'm not sure what it is, but if it's the blue color that you don't like, I think fuscia, with periwinkle accents would look nice.
Regards,
Ken
Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
What's wrong with the Inteli-Power on top of the blue box (Univolt). It is obviously hooked up.

Not sure how a 1970 is done, but the only reason I can see for the blue box is if the installer of the Inteli-Power connected to the fuses in the Univolt. Is the Univolt connected at all?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
What's wrong with the Inteli-Power on top of the blue box (Univolt). It is obviously hooked up.

Not sure how a 1970 is done, but the only reason I can see for the blue box is if the installer of the Inteli-Power connected to the fuses in the Univolt. Is the Univolt connected at all?
Yes, the Univolt is hooked up. Honestly, Im is unsure what the function of the blue box. I see it has fuses and connects to the battery but in the scheme of things Im not sure what this does. Very much a newbie when it comes to 12v stuff
Its kinda a "while Im renovating" question to see if the blue box can be updated with a more energy saving model.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I'm not sure what it is, but if it's the blue color that you don't like, I think fuscia, with periwinkle accents would look nice.
Regards,
Ken
HEY NOW...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post

The black cord across the Inteli Power. What is it to and is it plugged in?

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Yes, the Univolt is hooked up. Honestly, Im is unsure what the function of the blue box. I see it has fuses and connects to the battery but in the scheme of things Im not sure what this does. Very much a newbie when it comes to 12v stuff
Its kinda a "while Im renovating" question to see if the blue box can be updated with a more energy saving model.
The blue box is the Univolt, while the Inteli-Power is a replacement. The large red wires from the Inteli-Power run to the battery. The fuses should run off into the trailer to supply power to the lights, etc.

Some Univolts had an internal fuse block and no fuse block in the trailer itself. My Excella, on the other hand, had the fuse block in the wall of the trailer above the Univolt. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-57567.html for photos.

What you seem to have looks like a way to utilize the fuse block in the Univolt without having to add a new fuse block. It would be interesting to know where the two large red wires from the Inteli-Power are connected. Kind of hard to tell from the photo.

Is the Univolt (blue box) even connected to AC anywhere. I am inclined to doubt it from the photo.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Our posts crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
That is the AC power to the Inteli-Power, and you will have to answer the question about its connection to AC. That was my next question. Where does it go?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
I was plugged into the 110 outlet

Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
I was plugged into the 110 outlet
Why did you unplug it?

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS

Is this photo better?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
OK the little silver box is the upgrade to the blue box. I bet the blue box is still there because it is being used as a fuse box. The little silver box is the one that is converting 120VAC to 12VDC.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 12-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
OK THEN, Is the little silver box a "little" upgrade to the big blue box? can the bule box be totally done away with? using a bigger silver box?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Yes, The lil' silver box is lil' upgrade to the big blue box.

Yes, If you get a new fuse box or cut the old fuse box away from the big blue box. Where all the wires are going in and out of the big blue box.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
I unplugged the black plug because I pulled out everything along curbside to gut the bathroom and replace the split copper lines with Pex.
Fourtunately I was sharp enough NOT to unhook the INFAMOUS blue box from the trayler . All those wires are I assume... hooked where they should be : }

Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Yes, The lil' silver box is lil' upgrade to the big blue box.

Yes, If you get a new fuse box or cut the old fuse box away from the big blue box. Where all the wires are going in and out of the big blue box.

So I can lose the blue box? Have you a suggestion on a replacement? Not really trusting the old blue mare

Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I used this one when I rewired my 60. 12V RV Fuse Box. It's not the only one out there so shop around if you like. It's pretty straight forward with good pictures.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Thank you Silverleeper for hanging in there with me. That fuse box looks like something I can do Crossing my fingers..

Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I would put in a fuse block and discard the Univolt, thats alot of weight for just a fuse block.

Putting a new block isnt hard, just mark each side (wire) and transfer them to the new block.

Al
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #20
2xS
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
San Diego , California
I pulled my univolt out!

My univolt was exactly where yours was and it appeared to be toast from the last owner (there were hunks of aluminum foil where the fuses should be!) Not to mention the thing sat under the bathtub which was disintegrating. Super dangerous! It had to go.

The only purpose of that thing is to provide your trailer with 12V DC and to charge your battery. In other words, the univolt is a battery charger with some fuses in it.

I replaced the entire unit with a 10,000W Uninterruptible Power Supply (nicknamed "The ARC") which is housed at the very front of my trailer; it houses 6 marine batteries, 4 2500W inverters, a battery charger, a breaker box, a 50Amp automatic transfer switch, a thermostat, and a wind-tunnel ventilation system. I can be plugged in, then I can unplug and the ARC takes control of the electrical providing all 120V AC and 12V DC for the entire trailer for as long as the batteries have life (750Amp/Hours total). No appliance even knows the difference during the transitions e.g. the wii never even power cycled when I unplugged.

You can replace this system outright. Here's what I did:
1) Label the wires
**I have a 71. If your scheme follows mine, you're schema is as follows:
red1 & black1 - from battery
red2 & black2 - to ammeter control panel at the front of the trailer
grey - to indicator light in forward control panel
blue - charge line from tow connector to univolt
white - ground
purple - bathroom circuits +12V DC
yellow - middle area circuits +12V DC
pink - kitchen circuits +12V DC
brown - front of trailer circuits +12V DC

2) BUY
A) Go buy a smart battery charger. I got a Black & Decker 40A charger from Wal-Mart.
B) Get a fuse block. I got the Blue Sea systems 5025; it should also be perfect for yours. blue seas 5025 - Google Product Search
C) Get a big 'ole 12V battery
....Now you're ready to get rid of that archaic and heavy disaster.

3) Hook it up.
A) Connect the battery (anywhere) to your blue (+12V DC) and white lines (0V); (you can discard the red/black battery connections to the univolt; you won't need them)
i) your vehicle (through the tow connector) should now charge the battery
B) Plug in the battery charger and connect to the battery (consider getting battery terminal connections to replace the alligator clamps on the charger)
i) the charger (while plugged in) should be supplying the 12V for your entire trailer
ii) consider the idea of having inverters connected to the batteries to supply your AC power while you're not plugged in; if you do, please realize that you want to run a completely separate circuit that only powers when the trailer is plugged in. You wouldn't want your charger to supply power to batteries to supply power to your inverters which supply power to your AC which powers your charger. The Laws of Conservation unfortunately still apply.
C) Connect your fuse block and trailer circuits; you should have 4 different circuits, connect the blue line or positive side of the battery to each screw fuse block terminal on the left; connect each of your trailer circuits separately (purple, yellow, pink, and brown) to the screw terminals on the right. Add a fuse for each circuit and you're set! (You'll have to figure out the fuse you'll need yourself) You can do this by measuring the current through each circuit first while everything in the section is off (OAmps) and then when everything is on (xAmps); you'll want the amp rating on your fuse to be slightly greater than what you measure with everything on (fuse > x). Finally, connect the white wire to the ground bar on the fuse block.
**If you want your ammeter in the forward control panel to work still you will need to connect the red & black ammeter wires in series with your fuse block. In other words, the red ammeter wire would connect to your blue line or positive side of the battery, and your black ammeter wire will connect to each screw terminal on the left side of the fuse block (instead of the blue wire!!!). The ammeter is like a water wheel, you have to put this device in the path of current. This configuration will allow you to get a total current reading for your 4 circuits.

The only wire you should have left is a grey wire for the indicator light in the forward control panel. What a pointless connection... I'm going to use mine to multiplex information to a microcontroller. If you'd like the indicator light to come on, just connect it to any +12V DC connection and/or through a switch (if you want to be able to shut it off).

You'll also have a dead ended romex (120V AC) now that connected to your univolt; I just put an outlet there.

I added a circuit diagram for a 71 as reference and some pictures of my configuration during the process.

And for anyone interested... a video of my homemade uninteruptible power supply: The ARC.

Good Luck!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7130177.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	92341   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	92342