Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Upgrade or Like Replacement Batteries?

Over the weekend boondocking in cold weather, the 2 Interstate 27DC batteries showed signs of weakness, not holding a good charge at night and difficulty getting the furnace lit when dark (perhaps coincidence but the furnace readily ignited when the sun was out with good solar panel output). I am getting prices on like Interstate replacements, but wonder if there's any compelling reason to look at some type of upgraded batteries?

We are mostly weekenders and have a weeklong trip coming up with some boondocking, so I am curious if the AS gurus have any recommendations. I am leaning towards going with the low-cost option of like Interstate batteries.

Thanks in advance for your comments.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1432692103.086896.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	239336
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
battery replacement

I made a small frame out of hard wood to match the top of the battery box. Removed the lid clamped the wooden frame in place drilled 4 holes two on each side through the wood and lip of batt. box then counter sunk holes used 4 bolts and nuts with lock washers reattached lid with wood screws. The frame is the same thickness as the lip of batt box and about 1 3/4" high painted to match. All that took about an hour then dropped in two 6 volt batteries that are true deep cycle the ones you have now appear to be dual purpose which are more useful in boats to start motors and run trolling motor.You will gain about 25% of useful amp hrs. They will also last longer I'm very happy with my conversion. It sounds like a lot of work but really wasn't. Pos wire to pos batt 1
then neg wire to batt 2 neg then one wire between batt one and batt 2 neg batt 1 to pos batt 2. You will have 1 less wire than you now have. The tongue jack wire goes to batt 1 pos post. To fully charge from about 50% charge you will need about 300 watts solar for appx 8 hrs but this will vary with discharge and sun and season. Two interstate 6 volts will run about $296.00. Good luck Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have 2 Grp 27 Interstate batteries on my 2008 25fb which are 2 years old. I'm planning to purchase Trojan 27TMX when they need replacing. They are the same weight and size as the Interstates, less than $150 each and have more capacity. I'm not ready for AGMs yet.

I also upgraded all my lighting to LED replacement bulbs in the fixtures and modified my overhead fluorescent lights with LED strip warm white strip lighting.

I also replaced the converter charger with a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 that fits in the same Parallax converter housing under the bed.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Batt replacement

I too have installed the PD4655 and very happy with it. Along with the 2 6 volt batts the system works well and all the talk of AGM and Lithium batts with the proper care I get five to six yrs out of my flooded batts so if I get a bad pair I'm out $ 300.00 at most if you get a bad AGM your out over twice that and lithiums (they do weigh a lot less, good but not at that price I'll move something to the truck during travel) will be five or six times that, $ wise it just seems cheaper to buy quality wet cells and take care of them. Not that hard to do check water twice a month and keep charged no big deal to me I like to have a few things to do when the wife is inside doing her thing. I also have a small portable 170 watt solar system I set up myself its works well and I can park in the shade. Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
safford , Arizona
I recently changed to 6 volt batteries over my standard 12 volt. I get more cycle time from the two 6 volts than my old ones. I mean I can get almost 3 more days of battery life than my old 12 volts. I highly recommend that you ask your RV dealer about switching. One thing though, the 6 volt will not fit in the 12 volt batter boxes. I relocated my batteries to the front frame behind the propane tanks.

PS: 1993 30 ft classic
bruharNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Six volt golf cart type batteries can be had for under $100 each at most Costco and Sam's club locations. You need two of them of course, $200 total.

If you can find room for them by extending the height of the tongue battery box or some other location they will give you good service and approximately 1/3 more capacity than two type 24 batteries such as Interstate.

With proper care, they will give you very good service. With poor care you can ruin them, or any battery quite quickly.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ml#post1602327
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Leandro , California
Being an ex boater with a 47' trawler, I learned a lot about batteries in the first couple of years of ownership. The PO had 5 12v type 27 batteries. Two for engine starting, one for the genset, and two for the house bank with various switches to tie multiple banks together. Needless to say, the first time anchoring out for more than 3 days, they all died. I switched to two 8d batteries for engines, a 4d for genset,'and 12 Trojan 6V golf cart batteries for the house bank. The Trojans are amazing and if properly maintained will last for years. I just added 2 to my Overlander and purchased them from a golf cart dealer for $68.00ea. When I bought the 12, I think I paid $51.00ea because he made a large purchase and added my batteries to the order.
bhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts and experiences - I enjoy the interaction and expertise available on this forum. The clock is counting down to my next AS camping adventure, so I best get busy with this.
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I nave had poor experience with Interstate batteries. My AC Delco batteries lasted 7 years. Most recent posts seem to favor Johnson Controls or Trojan brands.

Be sure to by Deep Cycle not Marine type batteries. Deep Cycle cost more but deliver proportionality more power. Another post noted that Wal-Mart carry Johnson Controls but you would need to verify the battery manufacturer since WM sell other brands under their house name
Your trailer should be able to handle size 27s more capacity than size 24
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
what batteries fit?

Any one know what types of batteries will fit the 07 classic 30? I have two failed AGM batteries from Lifeline GPL-27T. I'm not sure I want to get them again.

Thanks,
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
You already have size 27s so any size 27 battery will fit.

How old were the AGMs. That has to be a factor, and you can't kill a battery and expect it to recover fully, so multiple draw downs under 12V will effectively ruin a battery. Plus you need to set up the charging and float charging differently for AGM batteries. I think the only advantage to AGMs is that they can be installed inside the trailer since they don't gas-off hydrogen gas. If you are truly interested in boon docking the posts above state it correctly....switch to two 6 volt batteries wired in series. However they won't fit your existing battery boxes.

Lifeline batteries generally have good comments from users on this forum! My understanding is that Interstate is made by Johnson Controls so I withdraw my previous comments (above) about JC as a choice of manufacturer. I was going on the statements of several forum posts, but others clearly don't like Interstate., and neither do I from previous personal experience.

I just purchased a size 27 RV Deep Cycle battery from NAPA. Per the dealer it is made by East Penn. (East Penn Manufacturing – The world's largest single site, family-owned lead-acid battery manufacturer). Based on dealer's personal experience it should be a good one...time will tell!! My own best experience comes from owning AC Delco Deep Cycle batteries.

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Any one know what types of batteries will fit the 07 classic 30? I have two failed AGM batteries from Lifeline GPL-27T. I'm not sure I want to get them again.

Thanks,
Would you care to provide more details about your failed Lifelines? Did you use the original converter in your trailer as a charging source? If so, you can blame the converter and NOT the batteries, as no lead-based battery can tolerate a continual charge of 13.6VDC with no float and be expected to last.

Batteries need a quality 3-stage charging system if you expect long life from them. Each battery needs specific voltages within this 3-stage charging to be properly charged, which are determined by the battery manufacturer.

In addition, repeated deep draws below 12.2VDC will decrease the useful life of any battery, but leaving a deeply depleted battery in that condition for an extended period will do the most damage to a battery, as it is the main cause of sulfation.

I have several folks with large Lifeline battery banks that are now in their 10th year of service. They use them as directed and keep them properly charged. You can too with the right charging equipment.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Unfortunately I purchased the unit with the batteries installed. I checked the charger and it is a parallax 7455. I am assuming that this is the standard charger for this unit, which as you said would indicate why they failed. I talked with lifeline on Friday and they said they would look at the batteries and see if they are still salvageable. I guess if they are too far gone I will just go back to lead acid. The cost is just too high to purchase new AGMs and a charger at this point in time.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Regardless of what batteries you use, the first thing you should consider is the replacement of the Parallax.

A single stage charger will damage ANY battery is short order.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote