Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Upgrade converter?

Hi there. I just bought a 75 Tradewind. Besides the fact that it smells like desecrated vermin, I think it was in a flood ( dirt line about 6" above bottom of all windows). I think the carcass is in the heater duct ( removing the kitchen cabinets today and removing/replacing the furnace and cleaning ducts and all of contaminants.)

I noticed that the battery is not holding a charge. Time to replace the converter, I think? Since I have the opportunity to do so, should I upgrade the system? What are my options? I haven't read much on this topic. It would help if someone could bring me up to speed on this. Any suggestion?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Converter

Here is one that should work for you. It's an Intelli Power 45 amp unit for less than $120. It's on ebay and the vendor is.
www.AdventureRV.net

Are you planning on rewiring the whole trailer?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug View Post
Hi...the battery is not holding a charge. Time to replace the converter, I think? ...
1. New battery.
2. New converter. Make sure you retain the fuse panel from the old converter, if it had one. The panel will have the current shunt on it (needed to measure battery current). The shunt looks like a 1/2" wide strip of copper.
3. replace the old fuse holders with a modern fuse block that uses automotive fuses.
4. replace incandescent lights around the ceiling vents with 12" or 18" flourescents. LEDs are getting good enough to be considered here.
5. install LED puck lights elsewhere.
6. get a new radio and CD player that is MP3 thumb drive equipped (USB port).

Zep
Zeppelinium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

Laguna Beach , California
I'm also considering upgrading my Univolt in our excella - came in to see opinions.

If your battery isn't holding a charge...the first thing I'd think about is the battery. Have it tested?

If the trailer was submerged, I'd have a few more worries to think about - rust in the frame, electronics and corrosion, etc...

Something to think about: we purchased our "rat toaster" (name to be changed when appropriate) and stripped it completely. Garbage cans full of rat crap, rat piss on top of the tanks, etc.

All the heater ducts were chewed thru.

We have finally gotten rid of the smell - something to think about: Although the floor was smelly from the carpet being urinated on by a legion of rats, 80% of the bad smell came from the belly pan.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Thanks for view. :-( LOL But yep, I have plans to remove the belly and replace and repair all that is needed. I already took out most of the dc electronics due to bad connectivity from corrosion. The duct work in mine is still in tact but, yuk, if there is poo and stuff!!! Thankfully I got a really good deal in this trailer and planned on doing upgrading anyway. I am surprised at how much I'm not offended by all of the aluminum inside. I'm used to my 69's wood interior. The lack of wood is a good thing for this trailer. Less absorption of stuff!! I'm not positive it was in a flood (lack of warping of floor) but I want to get this trailer in "like new" condition so I'm in for the long haul with the cleaning and repairing.

It's amazing where I'm finding signs of rodents. "EVERY INCH" there must have been a colony!

Thank goodness I purchased a furnace, toilet, stove, refrigerator and a whole lot more a few months ago from a guy who gutted his 74 sovereign. Funny, cuz I didn't even know what I was gonna do with it all. Now I have much of what need to replace with.

My primary concern right now is cleaning and removing. But while I'm at it I want to get my idea of what I will do when I am rebuilding it. Electrical being a first consideration after frame, axles, and floor.

Btw, I will be looking for a screen door if anyone knows of one. 1975.

Ed/Breadbug
Old 01-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Ed here is a link to a screen door for sale from a 70's trailer. It is in Florida though so shipping will be costly on something that large.

Screen door from 1970's Airstream fits 70, 71, 72 only - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

Scratch that I didn't read the ad fully. It won't fit your year.