Old 09-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Certainly possible, Skater! However, the same could also hold of the device(s) that the surge device is protecting: One giant surge, and the thing overheats and catches fire.
I agree that's a possibility, but how many times have you heard of an appliance catching fire this way? I've never heard of it happening, at a house or in an RV. On the other hand, I have now heard of a surge protector catching fire that way.

In the example you saw, there's also the possibility that the surge protector did nothing and that camper was as vulnerable as one without it, rather than lightning happening to hit exactly that camper.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #30
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
We went to CW this afternoon and purchased a 30 amp Surge Guard (model 34730). This is the plug-in unit not the hardwired unit. Glad we now have some protection from "sketchy" CG power posts. Thanks for all of the quick responses to my question, I feel much better about spending a relatively small amount of money to protect our AS.
The 34730 that I ordered from Amazon arrived today, and I have one concern.

Although the unit has labels on the side that appear to be plastic coated, including one that says it is meant to be used outdoors in rain and snow, the main labels (green) on the front that provide the identity of the various LEDs appear to be just plain paper. I am concerned that they would disintegrate if wet. Are they all like this or did they leave some protection off of this one? Are they actually sturdier than they look?

Just curious and it is too late to get hold of manufacturer today.

Ken

Old 09-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #31
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I usually suggest to folks that they at least wrap the connectors (i.e., from surge protector to cord) in a pastic bag during periods of stormy weather.

Lynn
Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I found this thread while researching Surge protectors.

I just ordered this one also. I ordered from Amazon because of free shipping and I had a credit sitting there burning a hole in my pocket.

I was attracted by the high and low voltage shut off.

This is investment to protect the Airstream, however it is an investment of its own. To protect that investment, I also ordered the TRC 34590 Surge Guard Lock Hasp. Now to protect that device, I will add a chain through the padlock and around the power pedestal. Now how do I protect the whole shebang from bolt cutters and hack saws?

Ken
"Keepin' up with the Joneses" I guess. I just did the same thing. 30 Amp Surge protector and lock hasp. Dang this is an "expensive" free site....

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Dang this is an "expensive" free site....
In the '90's, a co-worker lent my wife a copy of Fine Homebuilding that had an article about a remodeling project I was about to engage in. I liked the magazine and started subscribing. I learned what superrich people had and started spending more money. FH is much more expensive than the subscription price.

My hard wired surge protector is working fine, but sometimes I brush it with my leg. I described the installation at posts 108, 113, 116 at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...a-78859-2.html

This version is designed to be installed inside a cabinet or other enclosure and that is not explained on the websites I went to looking for the best price. The instructions seem to assume you have a MH with such a cabinet for electrical stuff. There are some Airstreams this may work better on, but the FB's are not that one. The 50 amp version has a remote readout that would be good on the 30 amp one so you could install it in a safer place. Were I to do it again, I might get the portable one even though I'd have to go outside in the middle of the night naked in freezing temps to see why the power is off (nice thought, hmmmm?).

When I was looking for the best price I forgot to include the cost of materials, primarily 10 gauge Romex. I didn't save any money at all. Obtaining wisdom is also expensive.

Gene
Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Love this one....

EMS-PT30C

Aw come on Gene you'd love the attention admit it.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
After reading this thread I realize that I should have a surge protector but I still am not sure what one to buy and where to install it. Should it be out doors at the point where the electricity enters the AS or inside. If inside where should it be placed. I am also confused as to what type to purchase. We have a 2012 Flying Cloud Having read the posts.

thanks

John
Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
John,

After getting the hard wired one, I'd recommend the outside one unless you feel confident with wiring the hard wired one inside the trailer. I've done a lot of wiring in houses I've owned, so this was easy in that regard, but fitting it into a location was difficult. I put it on the bed support next to the converter—small space, little room to work and my body didn't really fit into the spaces I had to work in.

There really is no good place for it unless you have a MH with a dedicated area for the converter and other electrical items. You can get a lock for the ones that plug into the electrical pedestal.

The main drawback is that if something happens and the power goes off, you have to go outside to check the surge protector—maybe in a thunderstorm, a snowstorm or in the middle of the night. As I wrote above, the hard wired one is cheaper, but the Romex and other parts made it cost more. Check CW for sales on these things—they have internet sales right now I think.

Gene
Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Gene
Thanks I was leaning towards an outdoor one mainly because I did not know where to place it and needless to say the difficulty in working in confined spaces.
Also can you please tell me what CW means.

Thanks

John
Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Gene
I just realized CW stood for camping world.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Had a VERY near lightning strike at Rock Cut SP in Illinois last Thursday night. The power went out in the AS. I just switched over to the gas furnace and went back to bed. (It was about 37*) In the morning I found the pedestal breaker popped so I can't say if the surge protector did anything so save my "stuff", but all was good the next morning.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I have the C-W one on mine (forgot name, too hot to go outside) and leave it out in all weather. I run some tape across the cord-to-cord "join" but a plastic bag over it would

1] collect water; or,
2] heat up the unit unnecessarily

So I don't worry over it.

As to fire versus surge? The latter may not only blow the appliances, etc, but start fires on it's own.

If it all "blows up" from pedestal to circuit box (outside compartment on mine), that'll be fine. Or, as "fine" as those things ever are.

I bought one because -- right or wrong -- I just couldn't see having to pull the wires in this trailer all over again. Or if it could even be done short of complete inner shell removal.

(The one RobertCross linked to above appears superior to mine, and about the same price).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
After reading this thread I realize that I should have a surge protector but I still am not sure what one to buy and where to install it. Should it be out doors at the point where the electricity enters the AS or inside. If inside where should it be placed. I am also confused as to what type to purchase. We have a 2012 Flying Cloud Having read the posts.

thanks

John
John....Here is a response I did to another post on the forum regarding the purchase of a unit. I didn't think I wanted to spend the money ($260) to buy one until I spoke to two campers in a state campground we were staying at in Florida that both had major damage from a problem in the campground electric service that wiped out their refrigerator, TV and some other electrical appliances. The one camper was moved next to my site while they were getting replacement parts for his RV. I tried to pick up a device in Florida and they only had a less expensive device that only provided surge protection. As soon as we got home I ordered a Progressive Industries Electrical Managment System (EMS-PT30C) that provides protection for high voltage, low voltage, surge protection, reverse polarity protection, open neutral protection, open ground protection, A/C frequency protection, and accidental 220V protection. The unit will shut down the service to your RV if there is any problem with the service coming to the RV. It also displays the voltage, amps, line frequency and the error code of any problem it has detected. It's been working for 2-4 month periods of continuous camping and have not had any problems. I have noticed that when there is an interruption in service from the utility, the device has a delay built in that delays the unit from reconnecting to the campground service as soon a service is restored. The only issue is that you may have to lock it at the campground electric service connection so it does not find a new home.
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #42
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Ems-pt30c

X2 on the above unit.

Has worked great for us.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote