Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Univolt to Powermax Boondocker and FB-9 control panel on 1972 Ambassador

Has anyone replaced their old Univolt with the Powermax Boondocker 45 and new control panel ? If so any suggestion on wiring to the new FB-9 ?

Specifically where do I hook up the 2 wires from my old fuse panel ( far left larger fuses : AGU 40 & AGU 50 ) onto the new FB-9 ? see pic. Dsc01680 of old Airstream panel. Note: the top AGU 40 is a blue wire and the bottom AGU 50 is a black wire. How about the 2 bottom middle Ammeter wires ( on copper bar ) ? And lastely the far right " Power On Gray SFE4 . I'll also include a picture of the back of the 1972 panel that shows the + , - and what ever the connection is for the Fray SFE 4 ( middle of the panel and to the left ).

Thanks for any input !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01680.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	149568   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01681.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	149569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01679.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	149570  
davidlaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Eugene , Oregon
I was hoping you'd gotten some responses to this as I need to replace the Univolt on my '75 Ambassador. Did you get it figured out?
ovrteakettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
wiring

If you could post some pics of the Control Panel FB-9. I think we can help you out. I couldn't find any reference to the control panel on the internet. So I don't know what is incorporated in this panel.
Please note: the copper bar on the old fuse panel is the shunt for the ammeter. If you want the old ammeter to work you will need this shunt. If your new panel has a shunt, it may not match the old ammeter.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The 40 amp on the left is another DC circuit out and doubles as input from your Truck. The power on will not be used with new setups since your converter does not support this function.

The 50 amp line is from the battery(+) and would be connected on one of the main (+) lugs on the top. You should get an inline fuse for this since the new panel does not have one for this line.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Yep, I got no replies so I matched up all the " - " and " + " and low and behold it all worked ! I did have the radio hooked up wrong, but I moved it from from the " -" to the " +" and heard music . The nice thing now is I don't have to listen to the constant humming of the converter as the new Boondocker is quite. I'm no electrician, but it was a simpler project than I originally thought. Best of luck and let me know if I can help.

Dave
Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Perryville , Missouri
Did all the guages in your control panel work also? I just wired mine up ('74 overlander), and it seems that the control panel is not working properly. I am using the shunt from the original univolt distribution panel, and it appears the ammeter is working properly, and the exhaust fan over the stove is working, but nothing else on the control panel is.
ericc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Ericc, I don't use the control panel gauges. However all my appliances, lights ect. worked after the install . I maybe a loose wire.

Best of luck,

David