Old 06-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
westfield , Massachusetts
univolt to intellipower

Wiring help needed! I'm switiching over from univolt to intellipower and am confused as to how to go about it. I have the univolt out and it seems the wiring goes from the fuse panel to directly inside the univolt. The "wizard" just has what look like 4 neg/pos battery hookup points and the grounding harness. I also have a third wire coming out of the fuse panel which looks like the power on wire (?) not sure really is actually is or where it should go on the new unit. I have full schematics for the wiring if that helps. Anyone with knowledge as to how to wire this puppy uppy would be greatly appreciated. I'm replacing this because of the humming, but also have had grounding issues for sometime. We get a slight shock when holding onto the door entering the trailer! I also lost power in the overhead right couch and galley lights sometime ago. Am hoping this switch will do the trick. Wishful thinking?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hang in there, towmommy, I'm sure someone will be along with electrical expertise. Although, have you done a search on your topic? There have been numerous threads on that very subject.

Look up to the top of most pages and when you click Search, I suggest you use the Google version.

I'm thinking though, that the shocking problem you have is likely not the fault of the Univolt. It's more likely to be a simpler error in wiring somewhere in your coach. I'll blame the Univolt for humming all night long, but I can't really say it is shocking

One thing you can easily check yourself is your outlets, a common source of incorrect wiring. Get one of those little outlet plug testers, they're only a few dollars.

It just plugs into an outlet and, using three little LED lights built in, it tells you if the outlet is wired properly. It's a handy thing to have for at home, too, although there's no guarantee that your problem is in an outlet.

When your problems are solved, how about some photos of your coach...?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a shock from the skin is a SERIOUS and DANGEROUS issue. others with more knowledge the myself will guide you.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi Towmommy:
I've replaced my univolt with a new intellipower but I was a bit suspicious when I've gotten it because I thought it was only to replace the old univolt by the new one but it's not true... the intellipower give you and is only a 12V product and you need to keep the old univolt fuses panel and the box to protect the intellipower and fuses....
knowing that, you have to connect the + and the - wires on the fuses panel, and a third one on the ground....
You have certainly a wiring diagram on the carter of the intellipower to check that...

if that can help you...

bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Thanks all for info. I think you're right Aage about the shock value. It has been throwing off voltage for sometime. I'll go in search of the "live wire"! Sometimes it is like opening a can of worms, you just never know what's coming next ! I milk this beauty along every year and try to get by with the minimal. This is the year for the maximal I think! Hot water heater blew a hole during the spring opener. Can't complain it is the original and has been spot welded once already. Am springin' for a new one this year! Also invested in the polishing system and am in the process of stripping old plasticoat as we speak. Can't wait for the finish product and will post pics when done.

I did find instuctions posted by someone a while back via the google recommendation, and he did explain the wiring process pretty well. I'm still not sure how to get the neg/pos wires hooked into the intellipower. Am a bit ADD at the moment with trying to do three jobs at once ( the weather keeps being uncooperative) so will go out again a see if I can figure it out. I hope someone out there is enjoying sunshine today!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Y'know, the more I think about it, you would probably be better advised to have a proper licensed technician (electrician) look at the wiring. They have all the tools and the knowledge on how to use them, and as Richinny pointed out, its not something to be underestimated...

I would still get one of these outlet polarity testers. Good for both home and trailer!

And hey, let's see some photos of that Sovereign!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
your shock might be as simple a problem as a plug having reversed polarity. get a polarity checker to verify that the line you are plugged into is wired correctly. they are available at hardware stores.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
This is how I did my 1965 Caravel, also ask the engineer at intellipower if it would be alright to run wires directly from the intellipower to the battery and he said that would be ok. Hope this helps............

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...mps-26482.html

Progressive Dynamics for RV and Marine electronics and lighting.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Wiring Intellipower

Here is my thread for the same issue:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-46304.html

If yours was like mine the power to the univolt was hard wired. You will have to locate the main power to univolt, disconnect and install a regular 3 prong plug for the intellipower to plug into. Also as was mentioned because the univolt has higher amperage fuses you can't use the 12 volt panel that came with it. I constructed a wooden box and mounted my fuse panel inside. Be sure to label all circuts with labels as its hard to try and remember what goes where. The charge wizard is a remote looking device that plugs into intellipower with what looks like a phone jack. It monitors charging and adjusts charge accordingly. Good luck, this is the place to get your infor as I did. I'm not an electrician either but was able to wire mine after this forums help.
Be sure and disconnect all power to you AS while working on the wiring.

James
Old 06-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Carrollton , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones View Post
Here is my thread for the same issue:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-46304.html

If yours was like mine the power to the univolt was hard wired. You will have to locate the main power to univolt, disconnect and install a regular 3 prong plug for the intellipower to plug into. Also as was mentioned because the univolt has higher amperage fuses you can't use the 12 volt panel that came with it. I constructed a wooden box and mounted my fuse panel inside. Be sure to label all circuts with labels as its hard to try and remember what goes where. The charge wizard is a remote looking device that plugs into intellipower with what looks like a phone jack. It monitors charging and adjusts charge accordingly. Good luck, this is the place to get your infor as I did. I'm not an electrician either but was able to wire mine after this forums help.
Be sure and disconnect all power to you AS while working on the wiring.

James
James,

I am confused by what you are saying about the fuse panels. I replaced my Univolt with an Intellipower 9245, and all that I did was unplug and disconnect the wires on the UV and reinstall them to the 9245... the original fuse panel is unchanged and working fine... I think. Have I done something improper and / or unsafe?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
James,

I am confused by what you are saying about the fuse panels. I replaced my Univolt with an Intellipower 9245, and all that I did was unplug and disconnect the wires on the UV and reinstall them to the 9245... the original fuse panel is unchanged and working fine... I think. Have I done something improper and / or unsafe?
Hi
The fuse panel I bought with my intellipower had a maximum of 20 amp fuses where my original univolt had two 40 amp circuits and the rest were 20 amp. So I opted to use my original fuse panel with my intellipower. It sounds like you used your original fuse panel like me.
James
Old 06-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Hi MIchael,
Yes mine looks like, or rather sounds like, it is just like yours. Both units have plugs (original plugs right into a recepticle in the housing) and the wiring from the univolt goes directly into the fuse panel above. My question is once cut away from the univolt, how do you connect the neg/pos leads into the intellipower? It has two recepticles for neg/pos hookup, but no screws or leads coming out to connect them to. Do I have to take something apart?
As per the shortage, I really thought all this time I simply had a grounding issue. I think the lights going out and the shock( which seems to only happen in bare feet holding onto the door while entering, once you're in your fine!) were two separate things. My cousins used to complain of the same thing years ago before they "canned" their silver bullet. Has no one else had this happen??
Maybe I'll get that stripper off today!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Oh Aage,
On the polarity thing. I have a tester so I'll try that today. However, all the plugs work fine, have right along. The only electrical loss I have is in lighting: out door flood and step, the galley light, the two over heads in the front and the right couch reading light. The hall overhead, bath and bed lights are all fine. Kinda wierd don't you think? Don't they all run on the same thread from the front to back? I would have thought if it was a lead wire all the overheads would be out. Sigh, nothing is ever easy with these trailers. There is no power on there now( univolt is still unplugged!) so i'm safe to do some investigating. Thanks for all you're help. Promise some pics soon.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Look for bad connections in all the fixtures, towmommy, undo the wire nuts (Marr connectors). I found a couple of obvious ones in ours, and got one of the ceiling fixtures going again.

But I still have one circuit that's iffy: #2 on the Univolt, which is the sleeping area and bathroom (purple wire). The sleeping area works intermittently (I have to jiggle the fuse) but the bathroom is dead completely.

Of course, you'll have to turn the Univolt on again to do the polarity test...