Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
Univolt to 60amp Powermax two questions

Hi All,
I have just installed a 60amp power max converter to our '75 Overlander and I need to know how (if at all ) I should connect the Power On wire from the fuse panel to the new converter. Also on the front of the converter is a 'Chassis Bonding Lug" do I run a wire from that to the body/frame to give a direct ground?
Thanks in advance
Vic Ward
Britbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There is no simple way to make the original power on light in your panel operate with your new converter. It is easy though to get a simple neon night light and plug it into an outlet to see if the power is on. If you really want the original light, I know there are some posts here on the Forum as to how to do it, but most think it is now worth the effort.

The "chasis bonding lug" should be attached with a good sized wire (I would use about a #10) to the body/frame. Both the 120 volt grounding wire and the negative 12 volt wire seem to do the same thing, but the manufactures also include that bonding lug, and I think it is a good item to use, as another "just in case".

There are probably some RVIA regulations which cover the exact size, I don't have that information available.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I generally use 8 AWG solid copper wire for the grounding lug on the converter chassis to the frame ground when adding new converters. Inverters are another story, and should be grounded according to the inverter manufacturers requirements.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
Hi Lewster & Idroba
Thanks for the information, I don't know what I'd do without people like you on the Forum. I can pick up today where I left off yesterday and move on to the water systems!Thanks again
Vic
Britbat is offline   Reply With Quote