Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

1978 31' Excella 500
Hillsboro , Tennessee
Univolt Replacement With a Twist

I would like to replace my univolt and I need to replace the battery in my '78 Excella note I said battery... My wife and I purchased our '78 and we did not notice at the time that the battery door or doors were missing from the front of the rig. The front of the rig had been completely redone with a very nice front seat however now that I have had a chance to look over the maintenance manual I have discovered a few things:
1. There is no exterior vent for fresh air to the battery compartment.
(there is an interior vent)
2. There is only one battery
3. Battery replacement will have to be done from the interior

What type of univolt replacement will not damage batteries or delicate electronics?

Are optima batteries a good choice for battery replacement?

Is there any danger to not having the batteries or univolt with a continual fresh air source?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
John
mrdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
You will do best to purchase and install one of the 3 or 4 stage converters...Intelipower is just one name than comes to mind...Magnatek is another. Go to BestConverter.com...there, you will find plenty of converters...and help choosing one, if you need it. Call their customer service.

Which one you get depends on how much battery capacity you need....whether you are going to be camping off-grid....or always hooked up to shore power. If you are going to always be hooked up, you can probably get by with one battery. A lot of people put 2 6v Deep Cycle Golf Cart batteries in (you have to hook them up in a special way to get 12 volts out of them).

Just about all batteries have the potential of off-gasing sulfuric acid / hydrogen, and should be vented to the outside. The possible exception to that rule (might) be an AGM battery. A gel-type battery (as opposed to lead-acid) that more stable.

Hope this helps a little. I'm sure others will chime in as well.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote